It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Rangers GDT 11.11.14
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:47 pm 

I flipped to the game just in time to see the third goal.

With as easy as the Rangers made that one look, I assumed until I saw the replay that they had been on the power play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:51 pm 

Ice wrote:
Yeah, gotta keep these close. Just a terrible showing all around. Hope we're getting this shit out of our system early. Patterns can become trends, and this isn't a good one.

Well to be honest I have been thinking that maybe some adversity along the way might be a good thing. The last thing we need is for the team to cruise through the regular season and then learn the hard way (yet again) when it counts in believing their own press clippings. Suffer some emotional peaks and valleys a long the way and use the new system/personnel to solve the problems as opposed to the old way.

Of course, we wanted to stomp the Rangers tonight for a little retribution. It's disconcerting how little pop and passion they had in this game tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:59 am 
Best part of this game is that Beau Bennett didn't fall through the ice and find a way to drown.

Granted, he didn't have a particularly good game tonight, but I can excuse that for his first game back. Here's to hoping he can regain his preseason form.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:24 am 

CaptainFantastik wrote:
Ice wrote:
Yeah, gotta keep these close. Just a terrible showing all around. Hope we're getting this shit out of our system early. Patterns can become trends, and this isn't a good one.

Well to be honest I have been thinking that maybe some adversity along the way might be a good thing. The last thing we need is for the team to cruise through the regular season and then learn the hard way (yet again) when it counts in believing their own press clippings. Suffer some emotional peaks and valleys a long the way and use the new system/personnel to solve the problems as opposed to the old way.

Of course, we wanted to stomp the Rangers tonight for a little retribution. It's disconcerting how little pop and passion they had in this game tonight.

Yeah, you have a point, now that I have a few hours distance from it. Just like we said about the sending a message early in the season, I guess I'd rather have these losses now than in March. I just find the pattern a little troubling.

And Crosby, you gave me a chuckle with the drowning Bennett bit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:20 am 

The Pens won 7 in a row before last nights poor showing. I think to this point they Birdies have done alright for themselves.
Once the Rangers went up three one could sense the game was over. The Pens had opportunities for sure but they were badly out played.
From what I understand the Rangers were slapped around by Edmonton over the weekend, maybe NY was taking it out on the Pens, who can return the favor in Toronto Friday night.

Last night was probably the Birds worst game of the year. Previous posts mention that the Pens have struggled with their rivals so far this year. I think that is a problem and a valid one to this point.
The Pens two worst games to date were last night and the Flyers game about three weeks ago. Don't know why they seem to wilt so far against both those teams.

Last night sucked but I wouldn't worry too much unless they go into a funk.

I wasn't impressed with Bennett in the least, but there wasn't much to be happy with last night, everyone pretty much struggled.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:22 am 

I'm not gonna get worked up over this game- they ran off 7 straight wins, they were bound to have a stinker. And all things considered I'd rather have them lose to the Rags vs Buffalo because it proves to me they took the right mental approach to the Sabres game (and I can't say that about the Steelers vs Jets).

Interesting to see the lines get shuffled when things weren't going right, can you say that about the previous coach?
And I agree that MAF should've been mercy pulled...this one isn't on him

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:51 pm 

Yeah, it's just who the losses are to that stings. Someone on LGP likened it to a recovering addict meeting up with old friends and getting plastered. All the system play and good habits disappear, and it's right back to Bylsmagic. As you guys said, though, better now than later.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:58 pm 

That was my impression too. These guys looked like the pre-Hanson Charlsetown Chiefs after hitting up Happy Hour at the local dive bar before the game. They couldn't pass the puck, they couldn't receive passes, they couldn't skate with the puck without flubbing it. Hell, I counted probably 5-6 times last night where a Pen would pass the puck and it would putter like 5 feet and come to a stop with no other Pen in within 20 feet of the damn thing, like an 80 year old man with a bum shoulder was trying to pass.