It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Stallworth16 wrote:
4th and 5th Starters are the biggest concern.

I haven't given up on Locke entirely, Jeckyl and Hyde pitcher.

The sooner Glasnow steps in for Vogelsong the better off we are likely to be.

Don't think Taillon is ready this year but who knows.

whatever dude -- it's the premise of this thread -- if you don't like it, just don't fucking post in it or troll it

the season all begins in the OFF-SEASON -

I think it's stupid to talk about possible free agent pickups at the summer deadline in January

but i think it's timely to talk about offseason rosters in January

And I think it's instructive to look at offseason rosters over the past few years and to compare them

And I know that this year's offseason roster is the best we've had in years -- and that's exciting as a Pirates fan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm
Posts: 3263
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
4th and 5th Starters are the biggest concern.

I haven't given up on Locke entirely, Jeckyl and Hyde pitcher.

The sooner Glasnow steps in for Vogelsong the better off we are likely to be.

Don't think Taillon is ready this year but who knows.

whatever dude -- it's the premise of this thread -- if you don't like it, just don't fucking post in it or troll it

the season all begins in the OFF-SEASON -

I think it's stupid to talk about possible free agent pickups at the summer deadline in January

but i think it's timely to talk about offseason rosters in January

And I think it's instructive to look at offseason rosters over the past few years and to compare them

And I know that this year's offseason roster is the best we've had in years -- and that's exciting as a Pirates fan


I wasn't disagreeing. I Love the Pirates. But it's not unreasonable to talk about the 4th and 5th starters. That's just talking baseball.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
I'm sure you guys could GM a much better team while you're playing video games in your mom's basement in your underwear -- you're so skilled


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 854
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
Satire, SF Pirates brethren -- kinda like a more obscure The Onion article or somethin. The targeted party appears to have not accepted the OP's challenge with a response yet.

Slow Times at Ridgemont High, when it's Steelers AND Bucs offseason . . . and both ended the past good year on a shitty note. :cry:

PS. Jobu, you are a funny guy -- your posts make me laugh so thanks (not satire)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
franco>madden wrote:
Satire, SF Pirates brethren -- kinda like a more obscure The Onion article or somethin. The targeted party appears to have not accepted the OP's challenge with a response yet.

Slow Times at Ridgemont High, when it's Steelers AND Bucs offseason . . . and both ended the past good year on a shitty note. :cry:

PS. Jobu, you are a funny guy -- your posts make me laugh so thanks (not satire)


Hacksaw's doing such a good job that on superficial inspection of his posts, you could believe steel hijacked his account.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4259
What's the starting rotation to begin the season?

Cole
Liriano
Vogelsong
Niese
Locke

This was the rotation at the end of last season:

Cole
Liriano
A. J.
Happ
Morton/Locke

Don't know if I see improvement there. Fingers crossed that Glasnow and/or Taillon can make it up to the big club I guess.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1245
Obviously wrote:
What's the starting rotation to begin the season?

Cole
Liriano
Vogelsong
Niese
Locke

This was the rotation at the end of last season:

Cole
Liriano
A. J.
Happ
Morton/Locke

Don't know if I see improvement there. Fingers crossed that Glasnow and/or Taillon can make it up to the big club I guess.


The rotation looks like a clear step back to this point.

Cole = Cole
Liriano = Liriano
Happ > Niese.... Lets call it a letter grade better
AJ > Vogelsong... but closer than it looks. AJ was on fumes at the end of the season
Locke Now > Locke/Morton... Locke has a good track record of being a 1st half pitcher. He is an upgrade over the version of himself and Morton that finished the year


A lot rides on Glasnow. If he is even close to being as advertised (and I think he will be) that provides a chance at a high end upgrade over Vogelsong or Locke. I think it is unrealistic to count on Taillon being a major factor after not pitching for two years. So we need the top 3 to stay healthy and meet expectations, one of either Locke or Vogelsong to pitch at least a little better than expectations, and Glasnow to be a factor. If one of the those things don't happen all is not lost. It is possible that someone unexpected provides a boost or Huntington finds another deadline gem like he did last year with Happ.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 pm
Posts: 2130
I disagree completely that happ is a full letter grade better than neise
I wouldn't argue calling them a wash but not significantly better


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1245
Gonzo wrote:
I disagree completely that happ is a full letter grade better than neise
I wouldn't argue calling them a wash but not significantly better

Jon Niese has never even remotely approached the level pitching that Happ reached at the end of last season. Other than Jake Arrieta there was not a more dominate pitcher in the division the final two months of the season. Now I know that Happ really isn't as good as he showed. But his stuff is significantly better than what Niese has and Happ is far more capable of going deep into games. To be honest Locke has better stuff than Niese. But Niese is more savvy than Locke with better command so he doesn't go off the rails like Mr. Nibbles does when he isn't getting the corners.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:51 am
Posts: 270
FYI boys....


My man Hanson is en fuego and showing his elite athleticism down in Bradenton thus far ;)


http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... enton.html




He is the elixir we need at the top of the lineup and can be a TRUE difference maker if he is given the opportunity 8-)


Opening Day Lineup vs The Dragon and Wainwright at PNC Park :


1. Hanson 2B
2. JHAY 3B
3. Cutch CF
4. Marte LF
5. Polanco RF
6. Jaso 1B
7. Cervelli C
8. Mercer SS
9. Cole SP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 1890
ironzabo wrote:
FYI boys....


My man Hanson is en fuego and showing his elite athleticism down in Bradenton thus far ;)


http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... enton.html




He is the elixir we need at the top of the lineup and can be a TRUE difference maker if he is given the opportunity 8-)


Opening Day Lineup vs The Dragon and Wainwright at PNC Park :


1. Hanson 2B
2. JHAY 3B
3. Cutch CF
4. Marte LF
5. Polanco RF
6. Jaso 1B
7. Cervelli C
8. Mercer SS
9. Cole SP


I would like this. What's Kang's status? I always hear about Mercer's glove, and yes its OK, but I think he is useless and a waste of a roster spot imho.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Buster Olney predicts Bucs to WIN THE WORLD SERIES

Don/t tell Jeemie -- he won't believe Olney made the prediction, or that the Pirates will win any games

and definitely don't tell Dumb and Dumber about it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4695
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Buster Olney predicts Bucs to WIN THE WORLD SERIES

Don/t tell Jeemie -- he won't believe Olney made the prediction, or that the Pirates will win any games

and definitely don't tell Dumb and Dumber about it


I doubt anything said by a grown man who allows himself to be referred to as Buster on its face.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6888
I just hope they can win "Best Team In Baseball At The All Star Break" award again!

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
Trying not to break Hacksaw's spell...but this year, Olney has picked the Cubs to win the World Series.

Let's hope it's the same kiss of death for them as it was for the Pirates last year.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4259
Jeemie wrote:
Trying not to break Hacksaw's spell...but this year, Olney has picked the Cubs to win the World Series.

Let's hope it's the same kiss of death for them as it was for the Pirates last year.


I hope the gerbil felching Arrieta breaks his fuckin' leg.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 854
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
Obviously wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Trying not to break Hacksaw's spell...but this year, Olney has picked the Cubs to win the World Series.

Let's hope it's the same kiss of death for them as it was for the Pirates last year.


I hope the gerbil felching Arrieta breaks his fuckin' leg.

Word.

Never disliked Chicago til last season . . . now I hope they and their fans go another 100 years without a ring. :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
Talk me off the ledge Steel Hacksaw!!!

Pirates have not looked so hot this spring...Niese and Vogelsong have looked like sludge.

it is only spring, but still...

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4259
Here's the thing about the Pirates that just pisses me off. We're all sitting around here wondering if they can maintain what they accomplished the past three seasons. No one is talking about taking it to the next level. Oh, I guess Olney if he's got the Bucs winning the World Series, but really do any of you think that's going to happen? I ask that because I want to know which players in particular are going to rise up and take this team to the NL pennant or possibly a World Series championship? Last year we saw players on the Mets and Royals do it. We saw the Cubs come into PNC and spank the Bucs because they had players who rose up to situation. I've seen the Bucs do that once in three years - the famous Cueto game. After that it was Wainwright, Wacca and playing golf for the winter. Who are the Pirates that will take the team to the championship? Cutch maybe? He's been okay in the playoffs but certainly not a Stargell of 1979 or a Clemente of 1971. Cole? Yeah, well we saw him wilt against the Cubs. Maybe he gets better this year? Who else? Marte? Polanco? Maybe if either of them learned any bat discipline. I have my doubts. Kang? JHey? I'd like to know. All this and I am assuming they make it to the playoffs this season. Big if.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:51 am
Posts: 270
Starling Marte finishes the 2016 campaign deservedly in the running for the NL MVP IMHO ....


The Kang is in better physical condition and making progress by leaps and bounds and will be able to functionally communicate with his mates this season...I expect him to be a force in the middle of the lineup....


Jaso and Morse is a MASSIVE upgrade in regard to OBP and will pay dividends in spades as a result of eliminating the absurd K rate that Pedro produced.....


Hanson is a real straw to stir the drink at the top of the lineup and he deserves to be given that role and the 2B duties going forward from the jump and thus allow Jhay to spell the boys across the diamond and keep everyone fresh in his most suited capacity as a super utility man.....



Niese will reap the benefits of pitching at PNC Park with this defense behind him as it is the most athletically gifted team we have had since 92'


Cole is going to make the jump to being a true ACE and with Frankie and the help we have on the way for the second half of the marathon the starting rotation will be a strength when paired with what may be the BEST bullpen in the NL overall .....




Get on board now boys and buckle the fuck up as this is the year that the Buccos make the jump to the WS 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6888
Steel???

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4259
ironzabo wrote:
Starling Marte finishes the 2016 campaign deservedly in the running for the NL MVP IMHO ....


The Kang is in better physical condition and making progress by leaps and bounds and will be able to functionally communicate with his mates this season...I expect him to be a force in the middle of the lineup....


Jaso and Morse is a MASSIVE upgrade in regard to OBP and will pay dividends in spades as a result of eliminating the absurd K rate that Pedro produced.....


Hanson is a real straw to stir the drink at the top of the lineup and he deserves to be given that role and the 2B duties going forward from the jump and thus allow Jhay to spell the boys across the diamond and keep everyone fresh in his most suited capacity as a super utility man.....



Niese will reap the benefits of pitching at PNC Park with this defense behind him as it is the most athletically gifted team we have had since 92'


Cole is going to make the jump to being a true ACE and with Frankie and the help we have on the way for the second half of the marathon the starting rotation will be a strength when paired with what may be the BEST bullpen in the NL overall .....




Get on board now boys and buckle the fuck up as this is the year that the Buccos make the jump to the WS 8-)


I sure hope you're right. As of March 11, 2016, I just don't see it.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1245
Bucs signed David Freese today. $3 million, 1 year deal. That is a nice pick up to fill the hole until Kang is healthy. Throws some cold water on the Alen Hanson enthusiasm. I can't see any scenario in which they'd take Hanson north with the club now unless someone gets hurt.

And this is for Obviously who asked if the Pirates have a guy that can "rise up". Freese has an NLCS MVP and World Series MVP on his resume. :P :P :P

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4259
SteelPro wrote:
Bucs signed David Freese today. $3 million, 1 year deal. That is a nice pick up to fill the hole until Kang is healthy. Throws some cold water on the Alen Hanson enthusiasm. I can't see any scenario in which they'd take Hanson north with the club now unless someone gets hurt.

And this is for Obviously who asked if the Pirates have a guy that can "rise up". Freese has an NLCS MVP and World Series MVP on his resume. :P :P :P


Maybe I should ask the question more often. It might net us David Ortiz, Madison Bumgarner or Salvador Perez

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:28 am
Posts: 1984
Love the Freese pickup.

Giving props to NH.

_________________
Long Live The Emperor. Greatest NFL Head Coach Ever. 4 Super Bowl Championships in 6 Seasons. Whatever It Takes.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group