It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates TWIBB Notes for Week 15
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:03 pm 

- Cutch repeats as Hero
- 1B Platoon is the Zero (0 RBIs and 19 left on base)
- The pen wasn't all bad. Jared Hughes has 7th innings under control
- I rant about bullpen usage
- Did one bad pitch selection cost the Pirates a game?

http://hiddenvigorish.com/2014/07/twibb ... u-7-13-14/

Post subject: Re: Pirates TWIBB Notes for Week 15
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:10 pm 

Good read, thank you for this. 1B and the stopper role IMO are black holes right now

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:13 pm 

I don't think you should use cookie cutter bullpen management for good bullpens.

Like bam pointed out, the more pitchers you use to close out a game, the greater the odds of one of them not being "on" that day. In a close game, that often leads to disaster.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
I don't think you should use cookie cutter bullpen management for good bullpens.

Like bam pointed out, the more pitchers you use to close out a game, the greater the odds of one of them not being "on" that day. In a close game, that often leads to disaster.

I've seen closer by committee work in the past. Has Hurdle used anyone but Melancon in the closer role since Grilli was dealt?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:59 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

I don't see it that way. The roles are designed to protect the health and availability of your pitchers. And I think the more comfortable a pitcher is in a role the better they'll perform. If you have a good pen and a formula that works I'd roll with it instead of trying to guess and make gut decisions in the flow of every game. I think that would lead to disaster. But obviously this pen is not functioning well and the formula is broken. So this is where the manager has to go off script and earn his money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:04 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I don't see it that way. The roles are designed to protect the health and availability of your pitchers. And I think the more comfortable a pitcher is in a role the better they'll perform. If you have a good pen and a formula that works I'd roll with it instead of trying to guess and make gut decisions in the flow of every game. I think that would lead to disaster. But obviously this pen is not functioning well and the formula is broken. So this is where the manager has to go off script and earn his money.

I don't mean the roles should be wide open, but a manager should be actively managing it...even a good bullpen.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"