It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sully Gamesmanship - Bluffing?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:06 pm 

well, well well...

anyone wonder, why all the lead up to threatening to play Sestito last night, and then leaving him out of the lineup?

Was the Sestito threat the ultimate poker bluff or what??

It certainly appeared that Sestito was going to play last night

He skated with the team, skated on the 4th line, and he was extremely blustery in the media before the game, calling out the Caps, asking if they'll be there to "ring the bell" - there seemed to be a concerted effort to let the media know that Sestito was definitely playing.

So, Why did Sully threaten to play Sestito and then not do it?

Could he have caused Trotz to change his mind about defensive matchups?

Notice that Trotz made one significant lineup change in game 4 -- he inserted Mike Weber in place of the better skater/puck handler Nate Schmidt. Weber is the better hitter, more physical player.

Did Trotz do this in anticipation of Pittsburgh going toward a more gritty game? Did Trotz get suckered by the Sestito bluff?

Sure seems like it.

And the bluff paid off in overtime, when Weber flubbed a routine play and turned the puck over and ultimately "assisted" on our GW goal.

I love Sully's gamesmanship...

Post subject: Re: Sully Gamesmanship - Bluffing?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:29 pm 

I wondered about that. Rust was seen walking out of Consol with crutches and boot, yet there he was mixing it up behind the net.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:54 pm 

Oh I'm sure he did all that shit on purpose, he did it w/ Zatkoff/MAF vs the Rags. He did it w/ DP and Schultz in Game 3 (everyone thought it would be Schultz)

But that's what you can do when the other team is gameplanning for YOU. Belicheck is a master at this...he's less concerned how to stop you vs how you are going to stop him

Onto another topic, I just never understood how 2 coaches fucked up how to correctly deploy personnel and match lines with this team. This roster since 2009 has been at LEAST top 5 in the league and Bylsma and HCMJ ruined 6 years of Geno and Sid's primes. It's almost sickening

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:02 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Oh I'm sure he did all that shit on purpose, he did it w/ Zatkoff/MAF vs the Rags. He did it w/ DP and Schultz in Game 3 (everyone thought it would be Schultz)

But that's what you can do when the other team is gameplanning for YOU. Belicheck is a master at this...he's less concerned how to stop you vs how you are going to stop him

Onto another topic, I just never understood how 2 coaches fucked up how to correctly deploy personnel and match lines with this team. This roster since 2009 has been at LEAST top 5 in the league and Bylsma and HCMJ ruined 6 years of Geno and Sid's primes. It's almost sickening

In HCMJ, it was just a case of an AHL team being way out of his league.

He had it going for a little bit early on in his tenure (remember how our power play was absolutely on fire to start the season?), but when he started to hit some adversity, he completely abandoned everything that had worked prior and tried to fit a high-octane NHL roster into a defensive-minded AHL scheme that had no chance of working. But it was all he knew and was comfortable with, so he just kept with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:17 pm 

For sure this team had the roster to legitimately make a run a couple times since 09. I hope for Buffalo's sake Disco learned s few hard lessons along the way. I know Shero has, judging by some comments this year. Unfortunately those lessons were learned at great expense to this franchise.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:52 pm 

Well- what I've seen written about on the Washington side is it had nothing to do with Sestito, but that Schmidt screwed up with the bad turnover that led to the Pens' GW goal in game 3, and that's why he was replaced, but who knows?

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:57 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

I'm not sure I agree we've had the personnel to compete for the Cup in the last five years. I didn't even think the 2013 team, where we got Igilna and Jokkinen and Morrow was built to win the Cup.

Not saying Bylsma and Rutherford were geniuses, but I think Sullivan has a lot more to work with...I personally think the influx of young talent from WBS has made his job a lot easier.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:53 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

I'm not sure I agree we've had the personnel to compete for the Cup in the last five years. I didn't even think the 2013 team, where we got Igilna and Jokkinen and Morrow was built to win the Cup.

Not saying Bylsma and Rutherford were geniuses, but I think Sullivan has a lot more to work with...I personally think the influx of young talent from WBS has made his job a lot easier.

I dunno, Jeems....I clearly remember that at the close of both the '12 & '13 regular seasons, that Pens were favored to win the Cup, or at least get to the finals:
*'12 was the shocker against Philly...
*13....NOBODY up here behind enemy lines thought the Bruins would beat the Pens...ended up sweeping them.

Both years were major disappointments.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:03 pm 

I'm in the camp that believes they had a shot, but Disco stupidly chose to take guys with established histories of success at one position and play them elsewhere. He didn't believe in matching lines. And as for the young guys, If Dan were still coaching they'd still be in WBS. Any NHL action they'd have seen would've been nothing more than a cup of coffee. Guys like Sheary would've been banished back to WBS at the first mistake while the older vets would've been coddled. Not to mention how mentally weak and undisciplined the team was under him.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:08 pm 

CaptainFantastik wrote:
I'm in the camp that believes they had a shot, but Disco stupidly chose to take guys with established histories of success at one position and play them elsewhere. He didn't believe in matching lines. And as for the young guys, If Dan were still coaching they'd still be in WBS. Any NHL action they'd have seen would've been nothing more than a cup of coffee. Guys like Sheary would've been banished back to WBS at the first mistake while the older vets would've been coddled. Not to mention how mentally weak and undisciplined the team was under him.

Yep. We'd have a bottom 6 full of Craig Adams' instead of young and hungry players who can actually wear other teams out.

I remember a lot of grief among the fanbase when Matt Cullen was initially signed. The overwhelming feeling of "Oh god, another old and slow guy who is going to play far more minutes than he ever should at the expense of someone with actual potential".

Obviously, Cullen has far exceeded most peoples' expectations of him, but I just remember being scared to death of older roleplayers at that time.