It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Penguins prospect camp
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 am 

This is a good read about camp yesterday

I like what I'm reading about Kapanen and our head coach, things are already changing for the better, just say no to the stretch pass!!!

http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=92

Post subject: Re: Penguins prospect camp
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:45 pm 

Heres some info on day 2:

http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=93

"As the forwards filtered out of the locker room, Wilkes-Barre head coach John Hynes took to the ice with a can of spray paint. He painted a pair of lines from the goal posts out to the blue line. This set up the opening drill, which stressed puck possession. Six skaters were on offense, three on either side of Hynes' newly marked slot area. The defending team only had three skaters and two of them had to remain in the slot at all times, with the third guy attacking the puck. Occasionally, a fourth defender would be added. There were no nets or goalies. The offensive team had to maintain possession or make a clean pass to a teammate. Throwing the puck to open space or chipping it along the wall was not an option here.

Kasperi Kapanen stood out the most for me here. He was strong on the puck, holding on to it until a good play became available. He was very good at using his skating and stickhandling to maintain control of the puck, even under pressure. His passes were crisp and on-target."

Still probably a year or two away, but I'm looking forward to seeing this kid play.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:26 pm 

I got MJ's strategies book last week and he does have breakout scenarios that utilize the stretch pass, but it's safe to assume it's only based on certain scenarios that are reactive to what the opposing team is doing with regard to the forecheck and protecting the neutral zone. I don't think we'll see it with anywhere near the frequency that we saw it with Bylsma. He's got a lot in the bag and I think we'll see him adjust a lot to what the opposition is doing. He said he had lunch with Sid recently and that they had a nice discussion about the state of the team, and the state of where's he at personally with the team. He's also flying to Russia to have a meet with Geno. He's not waiting for camp. I like that. I think this guy will be good for us.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm 

Quote:
The next drill saw assistant coach Rick Tocchet break out some football-style tackling pads. Forwards would skate into the zone, stickhandle through an obstacle, and take a shot on goal. They then had the unenviable task of going into the corner with Tocchet (at least he had pads instead of a stick!) as a puck was dumped down the wall. They had to work off the contact from Tocchet out of the corner, and take the puck to the net. Another coach was set up in the opposite corner to handle a second line of forwards.

Adam Payerl stood out the most in this drill, which likely surprises no one. He's listed at 6'3", 218 and plays a grinding, power forward game. He also ripped a few pretty nice shots by the goaltenders as well. The Pens will have 12 forwards once RFAs Brandon Sutter and Nick Spaling are re-signed. Assuming they'd like to carry one extra, there is a spot available. You'd think Payerl would be one of the candidates for that spot.

This is an interesting drill, especially with Tocchet involved, I liked what I saw of Payerl last year, I'd like to see him spend some time on our 4th line

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:49 pm 

Steelforce wrote:
Quote:
The next drill saw assistant coach Rick Tocchet break out some football-style tackling pads. Forwards would skate into the zone, stickhandle through an obstacle, and take a shot on goal. They then had the unenviable task of going into the corner with Tocchet (at least he had pads instead of a stick!) as a puck was dumped down the wall. They had to work off the contact from Tocchet out of the corner, and take the puck to the net. Another coach was set up in the opposite corner to handle a second line of forwards.

Adam Payerl stood out the most in this drill, which likely surprises no one. He's listed at 6'3", 218 and plays a grinding, power forward game. He also ripped a few pretty nice shots by the goaltenders as well. The Pens will have 12 forwards once RFAs Brandon Sutter and Nick Spaling are re-signed. Assuming they'd like to carry one extra, there is a spot available. You'd think Payerl would be one of the candidates for that spot.

This is an interesting drill, especially with Tocchet involved, I liked what I saw of Payerl last year, I'd like to see him spend some time on our 4th line

I agree. Payerl is a big body with some skill. Wouldn't mind seeing him in the lineup over Craig Adams on the 4th line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 am 

Hopefully someone gives Adams the Nancy kerrigan treatment and we won't have to watch him next season. Any volunteers?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:40 pm 

It's so good to see to Tocchet back in Pens colors! I hope he's able to coach the much needed grit and toughness this team needs.

http://instagram.com/p/qhBMtoupAd/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 pm 

Dumoulin, Harrington, and Despres crack Pens lineup as per the Pens FB page.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:59 pm 

CaptainFantastik wrote:
Dumoulin, Harrington, and Despres crack Pens lineup as per the Pens FB page.

That's some great news. So, if Borts, Dumoulin, Harrington, Despres, Letang, Martin are in, Scuds the Immovable Piece is the 7th defenseman? Until Maata returns, that is? I like seeing youth served, finally.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 pm 

We've got quite the log jam on D.

Letang - Martin
Maatta - Erhoff
Scuderi - Bortuzzo

Throw in Despres, Harrington and Doumlin and our cupboards are full. Not to mention our 1st round pick from the Staal trade, Derrick Pouliot. He'll likely be ready for action in the next year or two.

I'm curious to see if Scuds can rebound from an awful season. We still have him under contract for the next 3 years at $3,375,000. I wouldn't mind ditching that contract if one of these young guys can step in and fill his role on an entry level contract.

Would there be any takers for Scuds? The Islanders like to pick up our scraps, and he'd be a hometown boy for them. Maybe get a low round draft pick, not take on any salary?