It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Penguins prospect camp
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 pm 

Time will tell. If he's not immediately moved it will be interesting to see how MJ might try to set him up for success. He reportedly told Bylsma when he was acquired that if he kept it simple they'd be all good. That didn't happen by many accounts. Wasn't so long ago that Martin was the whipping boy everybody wanted moved. Maybe he can be redeemed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 pm 

Ice wrote:
CaptainFantastik wrote:
Dumoulin, Harrington, and Despres crack Pens lineup as per the Pens FB page.

That's some great news. So, if Borts, Dumoulin, Harrington, Despres, Letang, Martin are in, Scuds the Immovable Piece is the 7th defenseman? Until Maata returns, that is? I like seeing youth served, finally.

Amen brother! It really pisses me off the way the last coaching staff handled Despres development. I hope he gets a fresh start with the new staff and gets a chance to play and grow as a player. The kid has talent, he just needs a competent coach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 am 

I even forgot about Erhoff. There was a crazy sounding Letang trade rumor floated a day or two ago sending him to Montreal in the event of a Subban trade for some top 6 help (Patches and Gallagher the rumored forward pieces coming back).

I completely discounted it as bullshit (twitter guy I never heard of and all) at the time, but it's difficult to see how they're going to fit in all the young guys and all the veteran assets, as well. Maybe it's Martin who gets moved. Maybe it waits till Maata gets back. Maybe till the deadline.

Difficult to see how all three veterans (not including Piece because nobody is going to want him) fit long term. Something has to give there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 am 

CaptainFantastik wrote:
Time will tell. If he's not immediately moved it will be interesting to see how MJ might try to set him up for success. He reportedly told Bylsma when he was acquired that if he kept it simple they'd be all good. That didn't happen by many accounts. Wasn't so long ago that Martin was the whipping boy everybody wanted moved. Maybe he can be redeemed.

I think HCMJ's system will be very beneficial for Letang. He regressed badly under Rierden and Bylsma.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:06 pm 

Quote:
I'm curious to see if Scuds can rebound from an awful season. We still have him under contract for the next 3 years at $3,375,000. I wouldn't mind ditching that contract if one of these young guys can step in and fill his role on an entry level contract.

Couple things I think on this, Scuds wasnt horrible before the ankle injury, it was a bad injury. He could have some decent hockey left in him. That being said, I'm all for moving him, with Matta out for awhile, Scuds will start the year out and hopefully play well, and a team with some cap room and a need for a veteran Dman will come along!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:40 pm 

In a system where the emphasis is on skating and puck movement from the defensemen, I worry that even a healthy Scuderi is going to look like a hot mess. I hope I am wrong on this. I hope we can foist him off on someone sooner than later, but after the game he put on tape last season, I think the deadline might be the best case scenario.

Martin has more value as an asset right now, and if he really isn't interested in signing another contract after this year, he can be shipped off before the season starts for some decent value in return.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:56 pm 

Ice wrote:
In a system where the emphasis is on skating and puck movement from the defensemen, I worry that even a healthy Scuderi is going to look like a hot mess. I hope I am wrong on this. I hope we can foist him off on someone sooner than later, but after the game he put on tape last season, I think the deadline might be the best case scenario.

Martin has more value as an asset right now, and if he really isn't interested in signing another contract after this year, he can be shipped off before the season starts for some decent value in return.

Am I too naive to believe Scuds will be a healthy scratch while the young kids play?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:11 pm 

Your lips. Johnston's ears. God I hate that contract.

In light of the new regime and system, it's far worse than Letang's.

Last edited by Ice on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:11 pm 

We do have a new grocery shopper and chef, but yeah, I think if Scuderi is on the team and healthy then he plays.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:38 pm 

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying Scuds will be great, but the short passing this system requires will benefit him. The best thing Scuds can do here is tutor some of the young guys on defensive zone work, something a younger Scuds was pretty good at.

Some notes from today

http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=94