All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Penguins prospect camp
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:47 pm 

Despres re-signed for 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:01 pm 

CaptainFantastik wrote:
Despres re-signed for 2 years.

Excellent news! If he can play up to his potential his $900,000 cap hit will be a bargain.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:16 pm 

What are everyone's thoughts on our two remaining RFA's? I've been a fan of Sutter's and I'm hoping that giving him legitimate wings to play with this season will benefit him (and the team) greatly. Then there's Spaling. I haven't seen him play too much while he's been in Nashville, but from what I've read he would be a real solid addition to our bottom 6. We've got a little more than $6.4 mil left under the cap. If we could get these two guys signed under reasonable contracts we could have some pretty balanced lines.

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter - Downie
Comeau - Goc - Adams

If by some miracle the coaching staff recognizes that Craig Adams time has passed and they insert a youngster from WBS into that 4th line role , say like Payerl, that wouldn't be a half bad bottom 6. Certainly better than the shitstorm we were marching out there last season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:22 pm 

Quote:
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

This top line is problematic to me, if teams focus on Crosby, then you have old man Kunitz, and post knee injury Dupuis. I'm not talking about regular season, Dupuis was non existent in the playoffs against Boston the previous year, and thats before the knee injury.

I like Dupuis, but on the 3rd line, not the top line, call me crazy but I'm hoping Downie can play some top line minutes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 pm 

Steelforce wrote:
Quote:
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

This top line is problematic to me, if teams focus on Crosby, then you have old man Kunitz, and post knee injury Dupuis. I'm not talking about regular season, Dupuis was non existent in the playoffs against Boston the previous year, and thats before the knee injury.

I like Dupuis, but on the 3rd line, not the top line, call me crazy but I'm hoping Downie can play some top line minutes

My thoughts exactly. Although everyone was MIA against Boston, at least having Downie on the top line might make douche bags like Dubinsky and Staal think twice before they butt rape Crosby.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:10 pm 

I agree it's time for Kunitz and Dupuis to start trickling down to the lower lines. And with the plethora of defensemen we have now on the NHL roster it would be great to swap Martin for a top 6 winger. I wouldn't mind Downie doing some spot duty up on Sid's line, but I don't think he should become a fixture on that line.

In other news, Mark Recchi named Player Development Coach for the Pens.

Quote:
Recchi, 46, will be responsible for working with and assisting in the development of young prospects and players throughout the Penguins’ organization in the minor leagues as well as in junior and college hockey.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... b-penguins

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 pm 

Good news on Recchi. Wholeheartedly agree that playoff disappearing boy Kunitz needs to move down, and the jury's out on Duper. If he loses speed, he shouldn't be on the Crosby line, either. Top six is a concern.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:43 pm 

Bennett should be playing right wing with sid not LW with Geno, Beau is not a LW. The sooner people realize that the better. Beau can also create chances on his own, sid disappears far too often in the playoffs, a guy like BB if given a chance could help him. If opposition gets nasty throw Downie out with sid for a few shifts