Post subject: Game 59: Pirates at Orioles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:14 am 

At Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Game time: 7:05PM ET
Probable starters:
PIT: Chad Kuhl (1-5, 6.02 ERA)
BAL: Wade Miley (2-3, 2.82 ERA)

Quote:
The quick two-game Interleague set between the Orioles and the Pirates will come to a close Wednesday night as Baltimore sends lefty Wade Miley to the mound to face right-hander Chad Kuhl.

Kuhl (1-5, 6.02) will take the ball for the Bucs and is looking to continue the momentum from his last start against the Diamondbacks at home, in which he allowed two runs over five innings. Although his season stats have not been steady, Kuhl has pitched much better on the road (3.80 ERA) than he has at home (7.71 ERA).

For the O's, Miley is coming off of one of his best outings of the year, allowing one run over seven innings in a win against the Red Sox. The lefty will be looking to pick up consecutive quality starts since he recorded three straight in mid-April. Miley was at the top of the leaderboard last month in most walks allowed, but has recently found his command, walking only one batter in his last outing.

Three things to know about this game

• When it comes to pitches out of the strike zone, Statcast differentiates between those that are borderline and those that are further away. The latter type has accounted for 42.7 percent of Miley's pitches, the highest rate among those with at least 750 total pitches this season. Opponents have chased 19.2 percent of those offerings.

• Entering the game, the Orioles have scored 250 runs this season while the Pirates have scored 242 runs. But the two teams are fundamentally different offensively. The O's are a low on-base team (.308) with big power (80 home runs). The Pirates have a .319 on-base percentage, but don't hit for power (56 home runs).

• Andrew McCutchen is two extra-base hits shy of becoming the eighth player in Pirates history with 500.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201706062 ... _pk=490988

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

Post subject: Re: Game 59: Pirates at Orioles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:53 pm 

Block and Wehner toeing the company line by fluffing up Tony Watson after his fourth straight blown save. These guys are so transparent... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:15 pm 

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/pittsburgh-pirates/payroll/

Felipe Rivero would be the closer if winning were the immediate priority, IMHO. 100 mph. from the left side. No-brainer given Watson's meltdown and that part of trading Melancon was to find Melancon's replacement. Rivero's salary is about 1/10 that of Watson's salary. Watson is more comfortable in the 8th inning role he's had for so long, but returning him to that role limits his trade value.

IMHO, the Pirates want to dump Watson's salary, and will do so fairly soon. They're hoping he can improve as a closer to fetch them a better return than did Frankie last year. At this point, they'll likely trade Meadows and another prospect to dump Watson's salary (I hope I'm kidding here but with this FO, you just never know).

Pirates are 26-33, 7 games under .500.
Pirates are 5.5 games out of first.
Pirates are 8.5 games out of the roulette game.

Logic suggests that their best path to the playoffs is to win the division.
Are the Pirates better than all NL Central teams ahead of them? Any of them?
Division play is about to resume. We'll see soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:05 am 

This team is just abysmal. That's all I got, I'm out of words.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 am 

Watching (frankly not much, even with every game in free HD thanks to T-Mobile) this season makes me marvel that I remained a Pirates fan at all through the horrible 20-year drought. Really must be true that we didn't expect anything, so one or two occasional big wins a year or knocking another team out of contention seemed to help lessen the impact of the immense suckage for 2 decades.

But now, after tasting the sweet flavor of almost . . . witnessing the Cueto! blackout game and pushing the Cards to game 5 of the NLDS, followed by 2 more really great seasons, but both ending in really crappy WCG losses --- the joy is just gone. This owner Nutting blows like no pro sports owner anywhere outside Cleveland. What a disgrace. Thanks for nothing, asshole.

Go Pens!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 am 

franco>madden wrote:
Watching (frankly not much, even with every game in free HD thanks to T-Mobile) this season makes me marvel that I remained a Pirates fan at all through the horrible 20-year drought. Really must be true that we didn't expect anything, so one or two occasional big wins a year or knocking another team out of contention seemed to help lessen the impact of the immense suckage for 2 decades.

But now, after tasting the sweet flavor of almost . . . witnessing the Cueto! blackout game and pushing the Cards to game 5 of the NLDS, followed by 2 more really great seasons, but both ending in really crappy WCG losses --- the joy is just gone. This owner Nutting blows like no pro sports owner anywhere outside Cleveland. What a disgrace. Thanks for nothing, asshole.

Go Pens!

The off-season of 2015 really killed it for me.

Totally belied Nutting's promise of "we'll spend when the time is right".

That 2015 team was the pinnacle of that three-year run...could have been poised for greatness.

He let it fall apart by cheaping out and selling the fanbase that had come out in droves on the "promise of the next generation of talent".

Nutting fleeced a fanbase starved for a championship...I'll never forgive him for that.

Has mortally wounded my fandom as long as he is in charge, I think.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"