It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs preds, SCF....game 5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:54 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Should have said "about 30 years ago" because I left Pittsburgh in 1990 as well- so really 27 years ago now.

I started my new job in New Jersey one week before Saddam Hussein ordered his army to invade Kuwait.

Damn that seems forever and an age ago!
Sure does. I remember having drinks in a bar on Broom Street when the US responded. Was all over the tv's at the bar. Remember when that's where you got your information along with the NY Times and a few other choice organizations?

Anybody that wants to visit Nashville should google the top attractions. Pretend you're going to visit, and compare that to what pittsburgh has to offer. Never mind taxes or regulation. Pittsburgh has culture, arts, exceptional education, medicine, technology, and a rich and storied history of multiculturalism and racism all at the same time, not to mention the robber barons of the industrial age and associated museums that were donated. Along with being home to a number of football greats, it boasts a great jazz (and rock and roll) history as well. Anybody remember the Zebra Lounge? Or the hole in the wall jazz joint at the end of Melwood Ave? Can't remember the name, but the likes of George Benson used to play there. And then of course the Decade, among others in shadyside and south hills. I guess i'm being nostalgic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:36 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Should have said "about 30 years ago" because I left Pittsburgh in 1990 as well- so really 27 years ago now.

I started my new job in New Jersey one week before Saddam Hussein ordered his army to invade Kuwait.

Damn that seems forever and an age ago!
Sure does. I remember having drinks in a bar on Broom Street when the US responded. Was all over the tv's at the bar. Remember when that's where you got your information along with the NY Times and a few other choice organizations?

Anybody that wants to visit Nashville should google the top attractions. Pretend you're going to visit, and compare that to what pittsburgh has to offer. Never mind taxes or regulation. Pittsburgh has culture, arts, exceptional education, medicine, technology, and a rich and storied history of multiculturalism and racism all at the same time, not to mention the robber barons of the industrial age and associated museums that were donated. Along with being home to a number of football greats, it boasts a great jazz (and rock and roll) history as well. Anybody remember the Zebra Lounge? Or the hole in the wall jazz joint at the end of Melwood Ave? Can't remember the name, but the likes of George Benson used to play there. And then of course the Decade, among others in shadyside and south hills. I guess i'm being nostalgic.

Syria Mosque and the Stanley theatre were great places to see shows. Almost got thrown out of a Joe Satriani show at the Mosque.

Pittsburgh reminds me of Madison WI. Another city bursting with youth and full of things to do. Pittsburgh is much more diverse culturally though. Madison is happening though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:44 pm 

FWIW, since I don't know shit about hockey, my thoughts going forward.....

I'm feeling positively about Sunday. Primarily, Penguins built on Monday night's loss, morphed in to last night's win, and are looking like the Penguins. Preds, on the other hand, have nothing to build off of last night's loss.

Yes, I know that teams that have gotten their asses kicked in this year's playoffs, are 3-0 the next game. Up against that stat though, I'll take the Penguins, who are looking better and better as the series goes on.

Also....and I raised this last night, Penguins are in the same position, really, that they were in last year, up 3-2, going on the road for Game 6. It IS the case, admittedly, that last year, they had already won in San Jose, whereas they've not yet won in Nashville. Is that factor though, negated, by Pens going to Nashville coming off a win, whereas last year, they were coming off an unexpected Game 5 loss.

Lastly...much was made on the DK site today about the pristine condition of the Paint Bucket ice. I guess the Nashville ice kinda sucks even during temperate conditions. It's going to be 92 in Nashville on Sunday, then 91 in Pittsburgh on Wednesday. To what extent should that worry us?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:35 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Lastly...much was made on the DK site today about the pristine condition of the Paint Bucket ice. I guess the Nashville ice kinda sucks even during temperate conditions. It's going to be 92 in Nashville on Sunday, then 91 in Pittsburgh on Wednesday. To what extent should that worry us?

The humidity will be pretty low (I've read in the 40-50% range), so the ice shouldn't be impacted too much. I don't know that choppy ice would necessarily be an advantage for either team, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:19 pm 

Bars above The Encore, Harold Bettors, the Tin Angel. Yes I'm in my 80's.

Announcer Joe Tucker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:36 pm 

Harold was a good dude, hop. Good memories of him and his collection of misfit musicians at every Steelers game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:40 pm 

hopalong wrote:
Bars above The Encore, Harold Bettors, the Tin Angel. Yes I'm in my 80's.

Announcer Joe Tucker.
Yes, the balcony, the Razberry Rhino, Lou's, and the jazz club at the end of Melwood street was called the Crescendo. Owned by Jerry Bettors, Harold's brother. He used to be the house drummer. Nice guy. No, I'm not in my 80's. ;)

Fat City in swissvale, Mancini's, The Graffiti.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21