It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Pens vs preds, SCF....game 5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:35 am 

Gotta have this one. Go PENS!!!

Post subject: Re: Pens vs preds, SCF....game 5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 pm 

Weird series. Pens have progressively played better but haven't gotten the results on the scoreboard. It's a matter of puck luck...shit sometimes happens

But Sully continues to put himself in bad positions by the lineup combos and personnel. Archibald (who had a fine game) is supposedly out for Wilson (who has sucked this series)

These should be the top 2 lines:
Sheary Sid Guentz
Hags Geno Kessel

Oh and Hainsey has gotten the most time on the ice this series for us. How does that even fucking compute? Ruh would be a much better option.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:49 pm 

For all the griping about Hainsey I think Maatta has been far worse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:10 pm 

Both have had their moments but Hainsey is a complete liability in his own end.

And Archibald should be in over Wilson.

Its Frank Lloyd Wrights 150th birthday today, so win the damn game Pens for the master.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:12 pm 

SteelPro wrote:

Someone else nailed it: they haven't played that poorly the majority of the time, but their mistakes have all turned into quality scoring chances, because they don't have the make-up speed to overcome. Maata has made a lot of great plays but his mistakes are unbelievably glaring.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Someone else nailed it: they haven't played that poorly the majority of the time, but their mistakes have all turned into quality scoring chances, because they don't have the make-up speed to overcome. Maata has made a lot of great plays but his mistakes are unbelievably glaring.

Yep. I've started calling it "Highlight Reel Evaluation". People basing their opinions on players based on plays that make the highlight reels (positive or negative), and not paying attention to the non-obvious plays.

Between the two, I think Hainsey has been worse than Maatta. I think Maatta has been decent along the boards and around his own net. But he gets beat in open ice, which tends to be more obvious to people than his down low play, and has had some clearing attempts that have been bad (and have led to goals).

Hainsey constantly looks like the slowest guy on the ice and just isn't winning enough puck battles, and has been even worse on his clearing attempts than Maatta has.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:50 pm 

murray in goal..
man lets light these preds up!! tired of their over confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:30 pm 

If the trend of the Pens playing better every game continues, this should be a win.

It better be a win. If they lose its over.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:42 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

Hainsey constantly looks like the slowest guy on the ice and just isn't winning enough puck battles, and has been even worse on his clearing attempts than Maatta has.

Hainsey is approaching Scuderi territory with all these minutes he's piled up and that's not exaggerating. He struggles to make a simple breakout/clearing pass

Maata is what he is- he can mitigate his foot speed issues with positioning and can make a pass. Has some offensive instincts.
Hainsey is none of those things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:55 pm 

fortythree wrote:
If the trend of the Pens playing better every game continues, this should be a win.

No matter what anyone thinks about who will win tonight, the one thing I think we can get board consensus on is if they lose tonight it's over.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:55 pm 

This'll be the 6th game where I miss part or all of the game.

So far, the Pens are 3-2 in such games.

Which means I don't know what the fuck will happen tonight.

:lol:

Seriously, though- I've got no feel for this game. Last year was just a magical run- I knew we were coming out on top- just knew it.

Now I don't know what will happen...it's both thrilling and nerve-wracking!

A Sullivan-coached team has never lost three straight in the playoffs- let's hope that magic continues!

PS I have a good reason to miss the start of tonight- son's graduation. I suppose I could bring an iPad along... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:00 pm 

JJT wrote:
fortythree wrote:

No matter what anyone thinks about who will win tonight, the one thing I think we can get board consensus on is if they lose tonight it's over.

Do you really like bedwetting so much, that you're already setting up future bedwetting for a scenario that hasn't even happened yet?

Dear god, man, how many times do you have to be wrong about this shit before you learn?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:04 pm 

JJT wrote:
fortythree wrote:

Do you really like bedwetting so much, that you're already setting up future bedwetting for a scenario that hasn't even happened yet?

Dear god, man, how many times do you have to be wrong about this shit before you learn?

Barry Foster should come to this board to get bedwetting pointers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:07 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

It's fucking amazing. Some people here have declared the Pens dead more times this postseason than Solomon Grundy.

Yet, here they are.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:11 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

It's fucking amazing. Some people here have declared the Pens dead more times this postseason than Solomon Grundy.

Yet, here they are.

By all rights- given their deficiencies- they should be dead.

Which is a testament to their resilience.

Which just has to assert itself two more times this year...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:30 pm 

This is a hugely important game. But I believe in this team even if they were to lose tonight. Why? Because they've given me every reason to believe in them the last few seasons. I'm sure those declaring them dead also did so after they squandered 3-1 series lead to the Caps and had to go on the road for a game 7. I'm sure there was much bedwetting after they lost a heartbreaker in OT of game 5 of the ECF last season to fall behind 3 games to 2 against the Lightening. Or what about when they got smoked in game 3 of the ECF this year to fall in a 2-1 hole to the Senators? No matter what happens tonight I'll be pretty shocked if this series doesn't make it to a game 7.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:47 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
This is a hugely important game. But I believe in this team even if they were to lose tonight. Why? Because they've given me every reason to believe in them the last few seasons. I'm sure those declaring them dead also did so after they squandered 3-1 series lead to the Caps and had to go on the road for a game 7. I'm sure there was much bedwetting after they lost a heartbreaker in OT of game 5 of the ECF last season to fall behind 3 games to 2 against the Lightening. Or what about when they got smoked in game 3 of the ECF this year to fall in a 2-1 hole to the Senators? No matter what happens tonight I'll be pretty shocked if this series doesn't make it to a game 7.

Fucking nailed it.

I'll believe this team doesn't have a chance if/when they lose 4 games in a series and another team is lifting the cup at center ice, and not a moment before.

Why? Because they've earned that faith from me over the past two seasons.

I don't care what the shot totals are, I don't care about possession time, Corsi, or what goalie some random yinzer thinks should be starting. I only care that they're still playing hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:48 pm 

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. No fucking way this team loses 4 straight. Not happinin' no way, no how.

I don't have a fucking clue as to how it's going to end, but I'm sure as hell not throwing in the towel at 3 games to 2. And neither are they.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:51 pm 

Pens in 6!!

I would LOVE to win the cup in Nashville and have all those fuckin' music venues crank up the funeral dirge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:24 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Pens in 6!!

I would LOVE to win the cup in Nashville and have all those fuckin' music venues crank up the funeral dirge.

oh my yes!!!! ..a stanely cup win at home be so welcome..but shutting up these bandwagon fans and overachieving chump players be epic sweetness!!.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:37 pm 

SteelPro wrote:

People have been saying the 2017 Pens is that they are like the zombie that won't die. They look ugly but man do they just keep rising from the dead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:49 pm 

JJT wrote:
fortythree wrote:

I propose an avatar bet: I say, if they lose tonight, it's not over. You say it is.

Deal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:57 pm 

SteelPro wrote:

But this is a different team than last season's.

The loss of Letang is really hurting this team.

Like Karlsson in Ottawa, Tanger plays close to 30 minutes in these playoff games. Our D just isn't good enough to make up for it, however, I didn't think they would make it to the Cup with this d either.

Praying they can make enough plays to get us 2 more wins here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 pm 

Maybe Letang is secretly working out with Jay Caufield, so that he can Willis Reed his way onto the ice for Game 7?

Hell, maybe Lemieux is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:38 pm 

I was quietly confident against Columbus.

Had a bad feeling Washington was "due".

Expected a let down against Ottawa.

But I've been way overconfident for this series.

So with that said...

...Pens are done. They're worn down and probably don't even have one win left in em let alone two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next