It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
bradshaw2ben wrote:
And none of you trivia knowing MFers bothered to point out to him that it was 1971 and. Not 72? And you call yourself fans.


How's this for a little trivia. Night after Bucs won the '71 series, Steelers lost in KC....game where Dave Smith lost control of the ball showboating on the way to the end zone....touchback resulted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4426
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Think about it. One more Cup win and they are as dominant in the Super Bowl era as the Steelers have been.

I agree that Murray/Fleury are MVP.


If they could split the trophy I would have agreed that was the correct choice. But Sid was just as deserving even if others are thinking the voting was fixed

I said before this game that if Ellis plays, this series is going back to Pittsburgh. Thank god I was wrong with my prediction :lol:

I was texting my buddy and I called Hags with the game winner- another wrong prognostication :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:24 pm
Posts: 6478
Location: Rhode Island (behind enemy lines)
Poltargyst wrote:
I was surprised to hear the guy say that the Pirates have won 5 World Series. Okay, I've got 1960, 1972, and 1979. Without looking it up, can anyone say the other two years the Pirates won World Series?


1909 was the year Honus Wagner bested Ty Cobb in the series. No I wasn't there. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1416
3-PEAT???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1460
Even if I don't post much here, as I watch most all of the games on DRV hour or two delay, I'm right there with all of you by the end. Appreciate all of the Pens knowledge posted here. What a great run this year (and last) and what a great win last night! So proud of this team and it's fans!

Time for a three-peat.

Come on Bucs and Steelers (and bring back the Condors if you want) make us the true City of Champions this year!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am
Posts: 292
the Condors!!! WoW...I remember seeing them play....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 854
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
Rens, anybody??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am
Posts: 292
had to look the Rens up--never heard of them, but I was 3 at the time they folded and the family didn't more to Westmoreland Cty until 1966...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am
Posts: 292
the Johnstown Jets, on the other hand, were a staple of my early childhood....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
SteelWill wrote:
the Condors!!! WoW...I remember seeing them play....


I'll go a little better. All this biz about no Pittsburgh team having won a championship at home since the '60 World Series is incorrect. The Pittsburgh Pipers, with Connie Hawkins, won the ABA Championship in that league's initial season, 1968. I was there for Game 7, when the Pipers beat Doug Moe and the New Orleans Bucs. The PIpers promptly moved to Minnesota, moved back a year later as the Condors.

And yes, Connie Hawkins previously played for the Pittsburgh Rens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am
Posts: 292
People should remember that from last year when the Pens were on the road--that was the big trivia question at the time...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4371
Donnie Brasco wrote:

I said before this game that if Ellis plays, this series is going back to Pittsburgh. Thank god I was wrong with my prediction :lol:


Ellis was definitely far from 100% -- he looked about 50% -- he probably shouldn't have even played


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
And don't forget the Pittsburgh Triangles!

:lol: :lol:

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4371
Jeemie wrote:
And don't forget the Pittsburgh Triangles!

:lol: :lol:


Ken Rosewall and Yvonne Goolagong!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2408
bradshaw2ben wrote:
And none of you trivia knowing MFers bothered to point out to him that it was 1971 and. Not 72? And you call yourself fans.


That was 14 years before I was born so I get a pass.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7606
bradshaw2ben wrote:
And none of you trivia knowing MFers bothered to point out to him that it was 1971 and. Not 72? And you call yourself fans.

D'Oh!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 2650
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Think about it. One more Cup win and they are as dominant in the Super Bowl era as the Steelers have been.

I agree that Murray/Fleury are MVP.


If they could split the trophy I would have agreed that was the correct choice. But Sid was just as deserving even if others are thinking the voting was fixed

I said before this game that if Ellis plays, this series is going back to Pittsburgh. Thank god I was wrong with my prediction :lol:

I was texting my buddy and I called Hags with the game winner- another wrong prognostication :)


You weren't wrong...Hags was absolutely fantastic.

If I'm coaching kids, I'd show video of him.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10477
the infamous no goal exsplained!!!
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/13/nhl ... om-game-6/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
bam morris wrote:


People keep wanting to compare it to the Calgary goal against Buffalo earlier in the year where the call was initially no goal but was then reversed.

I don't know if the rule is truly "no video review" because if the play is ruled to be "continuous", it can be a good goal even with a whistle, and I think they need to use video to know if it's continuous.

What I do know is I think they reversed the no goal call for Calgary because the puck was already in the net when the whistle blew.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6328
bam morris wrote:
Don't know if you heard it, but when the refs headed to the boards at center ice to convene, someone yells "are you fucking kidding me?"

Fans wanted the call reversed, as I posed earlier, by submitting a goal earlier where it was blown dead, but then called a good goal. Posted that link in the other thread.

https://streamable.com/ccxi8

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8891
I don't know why it is so difficult for "Predators Nation" to understand what is going on with that play, other than the fact that emotion continues to dictate their visceral hate. But hey, I'd be pissed too.

It's akin to a running back getting stood up, refs blow whistle, ball gets ripped from running back's hands and the DB scores a TD. Every single thing that happens AFTER the refs blows the whistle may happen, but it doesn't happen. Get it? It's a frozen puck and the play is dead.

The amazing thing about that play is the down the line camera actually shows the ref was totally justified in blowing the whistle. He honestly lost the puck in Murray's midsection. Early whistles happen all season long. This is clearly magnified by the circumstances, I get it, but there wasn't anything incorrect about the call. Nothing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8891
COR-TEN wrote:
bam morris wrote:
Don't know if you heard it, but when the refs headed to the boards at center ice to convene, someone yells "are you fucking kidding me?"

Fans wanted the call reversed, as I posed earlier, by submitting a goal earlier where it was blown dead, but then called a good goal. Posted that link in the other thread.

https://streamable.com/ccxi8


Was there anything about the league supporting this decision? Or supporting making the decision? That to me is an incorrect call.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Jeemie wrote:
bam morris wrote:


People keep wanting to compare it to the Calgary goal against Buffalo earlier in the year where the call was initially no goal but was then reversed.

I don't know if the rule is truly "no video review" because if the play is ruled to be "continuous", it can be a good goal even with a whistle, and I think they need to use video to know if it's continuous.

What I do know is I think they reversed the no goal call for Calgary because the puck was already in the net when the whistle blew.


Didn't think of this angle, but makes some sense....

Say what you want about that play. The whistle was quick, but once the whistle goes the play is over. The refs gave quick whistles because the predators continued to run the goalie. Let’s say that goal counted, that’s 1 goal over the final two games of the Stanley cup finals. I don’t care what calls the refs make, you don’t win a cup only scoring once every two games


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 154
Living in Nashville, I've had to explain the disallowed goal to so many "new" fans. Simplest way to say it. It couldn't be reviewed because Sissons hit it after the whistle. Had the puck continued into the net after the whistle with no one touching it, the goal could have been reviewed. Simple as that. It sucks (for them), but that's the way it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Preds, SCF...Game #6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8891
swissvale72 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
bam morris wrote:


People keep wanting to compare it to the Calgary goal against Buffalo earlier in the year where the call was initially no goal but was then reversed.

I don't know if the rule is truly "no video review" because if the play is ruled to be "continuous", it can be a good goal even with a whistle, and I think they need to use video to know if it's continuous.

What I do know is I think they reversed the no goal call for Calgary because the puck was already in the net when the whistle blew.


Didn't think of this angle, but makes some sense....

Say what you want about that play. The whistle was quick, but once the whistle goes the play is over. The refs gave quick whistles because the predators continued to run the goalie. Let’s say that goal counted, that’s 1 goal over the final two games of the Stanley cup finals. I don’t care what calls the refs make, you don’t win a cup only scoring once every two games



That's what I've been saying since Sunday Swiss. Totally agree. In a best of three series (after it went 2-2), getting outscored 8-0 (or 8-1 if you want to give a goal to Sissions) will never cut it.

Lavs is a great coach but for how well the Preds played in Pittsburgh games 1 and 2 (pretty much totally dominating game 1), getting destroyed 6-0 in game 5 was a pathetic showing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group