Post subject: Game 64: Pirates vs. Rockies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:25 am 

At PNC Park
Game time: 7:05PM ET
Probable starters:
COL: Kyle Freeland (7-3, 3.34 ERA)
PIT: Jameson Taillon (2-1, 3.31 ERA)

Quote:
Five weeks ago, baseball was not the greatest concern for Jameson Taillon. On May 8, five days after his last start in Cincinnati, the 25-year-old underwent surgery for testicular cancer. The diagnosis initially shook Taillon, his family and his teammates, but as soon as he returned to Pittsburgh's clubhouse, the right-hander fixed his focus on pitching -- perhaps sooner than anyone else might have anticipated.

On Monday night, exactly five weeks after Taillon's operation, he will take the mound against the Rockies at PNC Park. A month ago, he was hoping for continued good news from doctors at Allegheny General Hospital. Now, he's hoping to get the Pirates a win against the National League West-leading first-place Rockies, who will start rookie left-hander Kyle Freeland -- who is 4-0 with a 3.18 ERA in six road starts.

"As we began this journey with Jameson, to think about where we are five weeks later, that he is ready to take the mound in a Major League game, it's amazing," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said on his weekly radio show. "A testament to him, the medical staff that was involved, his family, his support group and ultimately coming back to Jameson."

Taillon is free of restrictions; he threw 97 pitches in six innings during his last rehab start for Triple-A Indianapolis. He posted a 3.31 ERA in six starts before going on the disabled list, though his numbers were dragged down by his last outing, a six-run, five-inning performance against the Reds. Much like Taillon believes he benefitted from the Tommy John recovery process in 2014-15, he thinks the time off may have made him a better pitcher.

Taillon has received support throughout the baseball industry and sports world. After his surgery, he was flooded with text messages and phone calls from fellow cancer survivors like Lance Armstrong and Rockies pitcher Chad Bettis.

"I'm excited. It's been an interesting process for everybody -- not something we saw coming into my 2017 season. I'm excited to pitch," Taillon said. "After this right here, I really want to be a pitcher again. Just want to be a guy on the team making starts and doing my job."

Three things to know about this game

• Freeland has won his past three road starts with a 4.58 ERA. The one area of concern was eight walks (against nine strikeouts) in 17 2/3 innings over the stretch. But in his last start, a home win over the Indians on Wednesday, he had no walks and eight strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings.

• Taillon put up a 3.31 ERA before his surgery, and was hitting the edges of the strike zone with 42.9 percent of his pitches, the third-highest rate of 184 qualified pitchers (minimum 500 total pitches thrown).

• Freeland's 59.3 percent ground-ball rate is second in the NL.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201706112 ... _pk=491055

WELCOME BACK, JT!

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

Post subject: Re: Game 64: Pirates vs. Rockies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 am 

guess I can watch this cheapy team now.. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:15 am 

We had 'em all the way!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:23 am 

win streak... :D