It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Stanley Cup Championship #5....Postscript
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:17 am 

Thought it might be a good idea for people to post their thoughts, notes, analysis, separate from the Game thread. Here's mine.....

1. In two short weeks, we've seen the two biggest goals in Penguins history....
-The Kunitz goal in double overtime of game #7 of the SCF is the biggest, given the significance of the moment, and Pens season is over if Ottawa scores first.
-Hornquist goal is #2, outranking all others as it's a Cup-winner with a minute and a half left (and I'm thinking back to Sully's minute and a half comment following game #4).

2. Speaking of Hornquist.....few things
-He played the second least amount of minutes....9-something, of any forward last night.
-Last year, he scores the empty-netter in the Cup-clinching game, essentially icing the game in the final minute.
-He scores the big 3rd period goal in Game #7 vs. Washington, extending the lead to two goals, allowing Pens to lock it down.
-He scores an OT winner in game #4 vs. Washington last year.

3. I'll call last night's game the 2nd most significant in Penguins history....still going with Game #7 at the Joe as #1. Last year's win in San Jose is now pushed to #3. The Cup-clinchers in the '90s not so much, one was an 8-0 affair, and the other was Game #4 of a sweep.

4. Matt Cullen....posted this last night, played by far the most minutes of any forward last night, and take his PK minutes out, he still scored a ton. He logged over 19 minutes, Sid had 17+ and Sid ALWAYS has the most minutes. Cullen's face-off win on the 5-on-3 was freakin' huge, potentially a game-saver.....would have hated for Nashville to have control of the puck in Penguins zone for all 32 seconds of that 5-on-3. Cullen was also on the ice for the game-winner.

5. Nashville....reading/listening to some of their stuff....Couple thoughts on this:
-They are absolutely justified in bitching about the whistle nullifying a 2nd period goal. Were that us, that lost that game in the wake of that call...my God, we would be looking for the highest bridge...and I'd be leading that search party.
-That said....they're STILL bitching about Subban's goal being taken off the board in Game #1....and that was absolutely the correct call.

6. Funny mix of Penguins on the ice last night....had four guys (including Fleury) that have been here for all three Cups (plus Letang, who was not in uniform)....then about 12 guys in their first or 2nd year with the team.

7. How about seeing Subban chase the loose puck in the final sequence, only to see Carl Hagelin zip past him like he was shot out of a cannon for the empty-netter.

8. Speaking of Subban....anyone catch the Showtime piece, Full Access for the Stanley Cup, last Friday night's episode? They had the video AND audio of the Crosby/Subban dustup at the end of Game 3. Subban says to Sid, "Fuck You." Sid responds, "Get the fuck outta here, you fuckin' idiot." I think Sid got that right!!

Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Championship #5....Postscript
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 am 

Fuck Nashville fans.

They don't deserve a Cup-winning team after that display last night.

Hockey gods should see to it they never get one.

Sorry- can't get any more cogent than that right now, Swiss! :D

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:58 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Thought it might be a good idea for people to post their thoughts, notes, analysis, separate from the Game thread. Here's mine.....

-The Kunitz goal in double overtime of game #7 of the SCF is the biggest, given the significance of the moment, and Pens season is over if Ottawa scores first.
-Hornquist goal is #2, outranking all others as it's a Cup-winner with a minute and a half left (and I'm thinking back to Sully's minute and a half comment following game #4).

-He played the second least amount of minutes....9-something, of any forward last night.
-Last year, he scores the empty-netter in the Cup-clinching game, essentially icing the game in the final minute.
-He scores the big 3rd period goal in Game #7 vs. Washington, extending the lead to two goals, allowing Pens to lock it down.

3. I'll call last night's game the 2nd most significant in Penguins history....still going with Game #7 at the Joe as #1. Last year's win in San Jose is now pushed to #3. The Cup-clinchers in the '90s not so much, one was an 8-0 affair, and the other was Game #4 of a sweep.

4. Matt Cullen....posted this last night, played by far the most minutes of any forward last night, and take his PK minutes out, he still scored a ton. He logged over 19 minutes, Sid had 17+ and Sid ALWAYS has the most minutes. Cullen's face-off win on the 5-on-3 was freakin' huge, potentially a game-saver.....would have hated for Nashville to have control of the puck in Penguins zone for all 32 seconds of that 5-on-3. Cullen was also on the ice for the game-winner.

5. Nashville....reading/listening to some of their stuff....Couple thoughts on this:
-They are absolutely justified in bitching about the whistle nullifying a 2nd period goal. Were that us, that lost that game in the wake of that call...my God, we would be looking for the highest bridge...and I'd be leading that search party.
-That said....they're STILL bitching about Subban's goal being taken off the board in Game #1....and that was absolutely the correct call.

6. Funny mix of Penguins on the ice last night....had four guys (including Fleury) that have been here for all three Cups (plus Letang, who was not in uniform)....then about 12 guys in their first or 2nd year with the team.

7. How about seeing Subban chase the loose puck in the final sequence, only to see Carl Hagelin zip past him like he was shot out of a cannon for the empty-netter.

8. Speaking of Subban....anyone catch the Showtime piece, Full Access for the Stanley Cup, last Friday night's episode? They had the video AND audio of the Crosby/Subban dustup at the end of Game 3. Subban says to Sid, "Fuck You." Sid responds, "Get the fuck outta here, you fuckin' idiot." I think Sid got that right!!

The seem v. the unseen. Everyone knows the goal that was taken away -- that was the seem amd this it seemed terrible officiating for the Preds. The unseen were the goals the Pens could've scored on the over five penalties not called by the refs in an attempt to even it up for the Preds. The unseen was that the Preds realized this and thus were fine with clutching and grabbing which may have prevented other goals. Taken that all into account, reffing was at least even.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:18 am 

I posted this last night:

"Holy hell... Back to back cups is something I'd never had predicted with this group.I started following the pens in 89 and got to witness back to back pretty early... Pretty spoiled. After last year's run I started just appreciating how fortunate it is to have 2 legit superstars on your team at the same time. Last years team was special in terms of just outplaying by a large margin, their opponents. This year with Letang gone I thought winning one round was doable, after all they had Murray. Then Murray goes down before Game 1. Then everyone else starts dropping like flies. The defense isn't anything to write home about. Every time I thought this team was tired and done for they pulled a horseshoe out of their asses. Mike Sullivan is at least the second best coach in the league. If he says the world is flat, I think I'm gonna believe him. And No matter what anyone says there's a little bit of luck whenever you win a championship and this is no different."

Kinda bittersweet seeing how this year's team was pretty much the same one that won it last year. Just in the next week or so we'll see a newer version of the Pens as MAF, Kunitz, Bonino, and likely Cullen all gone

Preds can't be happy about the waived off goal, but the sign of a Champion is to overcome those things that go against you. Pittsburgh did to the tune of an 0-4 PP discrepancy (including a 5 on 3)

Yeah Matt Cullen stepped up in a huge way (again) in the playoffs- dude is a big game hunter.

Certainly happy for Horny as he got his ice time cut due to his injury

Hags- I thought he was flying the past 2 games and deserved more ice time over the likes of Wilson. Hags is also in danger of not being with the team next year

Maf- man what a roller coaster his Pens career has been. Some real highs and some real lows. Think of his legacy (which was very much in question 1 year ago). I'm happy he went out on top and just as critical of a piece as the 2008 and 2009 Cup runs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:24 am 

IMO, The Penguins have passed up the Steelers as the greatest Pittsburgh franchise (The Super Steelers are the greatest dynasty of alll time but the sport isn't what it used to be). The Pens still have chapters to wriite.

Hoping Where Art2 Though and company are watching these champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

The seem v. the unseen. Everyone knows the goal that was taken away -- that was the seem amd this it seemed terrible officiating for the Preds. The unseen were the goals the Pens could've scored on the over five penalties not called by the refs in an attempt to even it up for the Preds. The unseen was that the Preds realized this and thus were fine with clutching and grabbing which may have prevented other goals. Taken that all into account, reffing was at least even.

Was so bad, the analysts....namely Mike Rupp, were definitive in labeling them make-up calls. Still though....first goal is often huge, particularly in a game like last night's......I'll take the trade-off that we had.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 am 

Let me add a thought to Swiss's script.

Pittsburgh is soooo fucking lucky Gemo Malkin doesn't have a big ego. Let's review:

*The first cup win for this group, Malkin wins the Conn Smythe, Crosby gets most of the attention.
*Top 100 NHL players list comes out, Crosby prominently featured, Malkin omitted from the list.
*Pens win cup #3, Malkin is leading scorer, Crosby gets Conn Smythe and every front page picture.
*Talk now is Crosby cemented himself as top 5 player ever, yet Geno is still outside top 100.
* Malkin is 14th ever in points per game and is basically an afterthought by the media. Does Crosby have any rings without Geno's help?

Now imagine if Geno was Antonio Brown. This whole thing wouldn't work. Pittsburgh needs to thank its lucky stars Malkin is who he is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 am 

Three years ago the Penguins blew a 3-1 series lead to the Rangers. Crosby was a shell of himself, dealing with concussion issues that seemed to put his career in doubt. The head coach was the type that tried to fit a square peg into a round hole. Mario wanted to sell the team.
It looked like they might never win another cup.

How things changed so quickly.

Personally I thought this group was done at one. Thank you for proving almost all of us wrong.

Now it is time to think of a THREE PEAT!!!

I wouldn't count this group out of getting it done.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:06 am 

SP wrote:
Let me add a thought to Swiss's script.

Pittsburgh is soooo fucking lucky Gemo Malkin doesn't have a big ego. Let's review:

*The first cup win for this group, Malkin wins the Conn Smythe, Crosby gets most of the attention.
*Top 100 NHL players list comes out, Crosby prominently featured, Malkin omitted from the list.
*Pens win cup #3, Malkin is leading scorer, Crosby gets Conn Smythe and every front page picture.
*Talk now is Crosby cemented himself as top 5 player ever, yet Geno is still outside top 100.
* Malkin is 14th ever in points per game and is basically an afterthought by the media. Does Crosby have any rings without Geno's help?

Now imagine if Geno was Antonio Brown. This whole thing wouldn't work. Pittsburgh needs to thank its lucky stars Malkin is who he is.

good point...
all your points are good including the goal taken from Nash..
I replayed the empty netter a couple times..and haglin left suban in the dust. badly..they were even when they both began chase..loved it..cloud nine for us pen fans! gotta love gino..he is anti tono brown..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:

Was the whistle early? Yes.

However, as even Mike Milbury stated, the ref was CORRECT to blow the whistle.

He lost sight of the puck. They are trained that when they lose sight of the puck to blow the whistle.

Was the official out of position to make the correct call? That I don't know...but based on where he was he did the correct thing.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next