It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Championship #5....Postscript
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:57 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Bonino takes the cup to the Steelers practice facility:
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/124 ... e-facility

Probably as close to any championship trophy these guys will see in the near future.

At least until the genius of Mike Sullivan is duplicated and implanted into Mike Tomlin.

Two things that will make me feel really weird to see:

A Mike Tomlin-coached Steelers' team win an important game against an equal or greater opponent.

A Mike Sullivan-coached hockey team lose a playoff series.

I know the latter will happen someday- not sure about the former.
It would be weird to see tomlin as flexible as sullivan. Certainly SBI, though.

The funny thing is that, as I understand it, in Sullivan's first stint as a head coach in Boston, he was often criticized for being too stubborn and refusing to adjust.

Some coaches learn from their failures, some keep banging their heads off that brick wall.

I think there's a chance that if Tomlin got fired from Pittsburgh and went somewhere else, he could turn into a really great coach. I just don't expect that to happen here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:18 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Bonino takes the cup to the Steelers practice facility:
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/124 ... e-facility

Probably as close to any championship trophy these guys will see in the near future.

At least until the genius of Mike Sullivan is duplicated and implanted into Mike Tomlin.

A Mike Tomlin-coached Steelers' team win an important game against an equal or greater opponent.

[b] Mike Sullivan-coached hockey team lose a playoff series.[b]

You are not the first person I have heard mention this.

I'm no Tomlin hater but I think his 'way' is stale-needs to be given some heat or asked to move on if he can't get that 7th Lombardi while he still has Ben.

Crosby spoke about the crowd from the parade. Said it has inspired him to win a 4th Cup. Oh boy...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

The funny thing is that, as I understand it, in Sullivan's first stint as a head coach in Boston, he was often criticized for being too stubborn and refusing to adjust.

Some coaches learn from their failures, some keep banging their heads off that brick wall.

I think there's a chance that if Tomlin got fired from Pittsburgh and went somewhere else, he could turn into a really great coach. I just don't expect that to happen here.

Yup, he learned from his prior experience. Brasco spoke about this earlier in the year. Bylsma might be that coach that needs to learn as an assistant before he can become a really good HC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

That's the thing.

Sullivan had to feel the heat, and actually have the hammer fall, for him to be motivated to change.

Tomlin's too comfortable here.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:41 pm 

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12410070-74/torn-hamstring-kept-penguins-goalie-murray-out-of-playoffs-opener

Quote:
Torn hamstring kept Penguins goalie Murray out of playoffs opener

When goalie Matt Murray limped off the ice in the middle of warm-ups before the Penguins playoff opener two months ago, he didn't suffer a tweak, a twist or a sprain.

The lower-body injury that sidelined the 23-year-old goaltender was, in fact, a torn hamstring.

Murray revealed those details as the Penguins got together one last time for exit physicals, meetings and locker clean-out Thursday at PPG Paints Arena.

Murray said he wasn't sure when his hamstring started to give him problems, but the moment he was sure it wasn't something he could play through was abundantly clear.

“I felt it go in that warm-up,” Murray said.

Murray was cleared to return to action about a month later and went 7-3 with a .937 save percentage the rest of the playoffs, closing things out with shutout victories in the last two games of the Stanley Cup Final.

“I think I got back pretty quickly and I think I came back stronger than I did before,” Murray said.

Several of Murray's teammates also revealed details of injuries they played through during the playoffs.

Carl Hagelin said he broke his fibula March 8 in Winnipeg and the injury never healed to his satisfaction, even though he was back in the lineup by Game 2 of the Washington series April 29.

Brian Dumoulin said he suffered a hand injury at the end of the Columbus series that never got much better.

Justin Schultz said the injury that cost him four games of the Eastern Conference finals was a broken rib.

Previously, Nick Bonino said he was out with a broken fibula and Ian Cole said he had a broken hand and broken ribs.

None of the injured players indicated that they will require offseason surgery.

I really hope we can re-sign Bonino that guy battles and does a great job when he is needed to step up in big moments on both O and D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:44 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

C'mon, man. You're better than that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:48 pm 

stillthere wrote:
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12410070-74/torn-hamstring-kept-penguins-goalie-murray-out-of-playoffs-opener

Quote:

When goalie Matt Murray limped off the ice in the middle of warm-ups before the Penguins playoff opener two months ago, he didn't suffer a tweak, a twist or a sprain.

The lower-body injury that sidelined the 23-year-old goaltender was, in fact, a torn hamstring.

Murray revealed those details as the Penguins got together one last time for exit physicals, meetings and locker clean-out Thursday at PPG Paints Arena.

Murray said he wasn't sure when his hamstring started to give him problems, but the moment he was sure it wasn't something he could play through was abundantly clear.

Murray was cleared to return to action about a month later and went 7-3 with a .937 save percentage the rest of the playoffs, closing things out with shutout victories in the last two games of the Stanley Cup Final.

“I think I got back pretty quickly and I think I came back stronger than I did before,” Murray said.

Several of Murray's teammates also revealed details of injuries they played through during the playoffs.

Carl Hagelin said he broke his fibula March 8 in Winnipeg and the injury never healed to his satisfaction, even though he was back in the lineup by Game 2 of the Washington series April 29.

Brian Dumoulin said he suffered a hand injury at the end of the Columbus series that never got much better.

Justin Schultz said the injury that cost him four games of the Eastern Conference finals was a broken rib.

Previously, Nick Bonino said he was out with a broken fibula and Ian Cole said he had a broken hand and broken ribs.

I really hope we can re-sign Bonino that guy battles and does a great job when he is needed to step up in big moments on both O and D.

Bonino's injury was a broken tibia, not fibula-- or so he said previously.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:04 pm 

stillthere wrote:

Quote:

Drama queens

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
stillthere wrote:

Quote:

Bonino's injury was a broken tibia, not fibula-- or so he said previously.

I think it connects to the knee bone or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

C'mon, man. You're better than that.

Yeah, Jeemie! I don't think Sully will ever lose another playoff series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next