It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Championship #5....Postscript
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Mike Sullivan >>>> Mike Tomlin

Duh!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:19 am 

Like I said previously, Tomlin is more like Bylsma than anyone with early success bringing him to a Championship

Since then he's had a ton of regular season success but fails to make the necessary adjustments in the postseason.

The year before DB got canned, he lead his team to the Conf Championship and got humiliated. The following year he had a 3-1 series lead before choking it away (believe he had 3 such leads in his tenure) and that's when Ownership had enough of wasting their teams' superstars prime years.

Unfortunately I don't think the Rooneys have the balls that Mario does

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:40 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Like I said previously, Tomlin is more like Bylsma than anyone with early success bringing him to a Championship

Since then he's had a ton of regular season success but fails to make the necessary adjustments in the postseason.

The year before DB got canned, he lead his team to the Conf Championship and got humiliated. The following year he had a 3-1 series lead before choking it away (believe he had 3 such leads in his tenure) and that's when Ownership had enough of wasting their teams' superstars prime years.

Rooney's savor the fact that they have only had 3 head coaches in x-many years, so I doubt they will ever have the balls to fire Tomlin. His win percentage against losing teams should have been enough to get his ass canned as it has cost them top seeds and home games in the playoffs. The Rooney's have to see his continued mismanagement of the clock and the game itself, as well as, mismanagement of personnel (running Bell into the ground cost this team for several years now). Nope, Rooney's smile at being the only team with such coaching consistency, and that won't change. This team is stuck with Tomlin until he decides to go, and unfortunately, that could be a long while!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am 

alancac98 wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Rooney's savor the fact that they have only had 3 head coaches in x-many years, so I doubt they will ever have the balls to fire Tomlin. His win percentage against losing teams should have been enough to get his ass canned as it has cost them top seeds and home games in the playoffs. The Rooney's have to see his continued mismanagement of the clock and the game itself, as well as, mismanagement of personnel (running Bell into the ground cost this team for several years now). Nope, Rooney's smile at being the only team with such coaching consistency, and that won't change. This team is stuck with Tomlin until he decides to go, and unfortunately, that could be a long while!

Can't resist, Steelers chatter in Pens thread. Is Rooney falling behind other owners? Analytics, acquiring software applications for training, coaching leading to teaching connections between production and lifestyle choices. Software that enhances performance on and off the field from high school through D1 and then tracking the players. Facility upgrades for players and fans (Mara is studying how to park self driving cars at Meadowlands). Brand enhancement via experiential venues. Hiring team to investigate and develop these and more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Two things that will make me feel really weird to see:

A Mike Tomlin-coached Steelers' team win an important game against an equal or greater opponent.

A Mike Sullivan-coached hockey team lose a playoff series.

I know the latter will happen someday- not sure about the former.

C'mon, man. You're better than that.

Really?

Talk to me when a Mike Tomlin-coached team starts earning byes and beats the Patriots more than once in a blue moon.

Then I'll pay attention.

Mike Sullivan just won a Stanley Cup with half his team either walking wounded or taking up their own wing in a hospital.

His defense was reduced to third-liners or minor leaguers talent-wise.

Tomlin has not even come CLOSE to doing that...if the talent isn't all lined up on his side, he rarely wins.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:59 am 

His team won a freaking Super Bowl with trash at OL and made a playoff run last year with half the offense missing and no Cam Heyward.

Besides, and to the point: you said:

A Mike Tomlin-coached team win an important game against an equal or greater opponent.

Kansas City 2x last year. Cincy 2x last year. Cincy in reg season & playoffs 2015. Denver 2015. Arizona 2015.

That's just the last two years and just off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
His team won a freaking Super Bowl with trash at OL and made a playoff run last year with half the offense missing and no Cam Heyward.

Besides, and to the point: you said:

A Mike Tomlin-coached team win an important game against an equal or greater opponent.

Kansas City 2x last year. Cincy 2x last year. Cincy in reg season & playoffs 2015. Denver 2015. Arizona 2015.

That's just the last two years and just off the top of my head.

You think those teams are the equal of the Steelers?

And then we lost to Denver when it counted.

And the 2008 team with the trash OL also had was was arguably one of the best defenses of all time.

Again- when the talent level lines up in Tomlin's favor- he can win.

When he has to make the most of marginal talent...he routinely gets outclassed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:17 pm 

I believe if Mario owned steelers he fires tomlin before last season.or after play off embarrassment to pats-again
.due to all the playoff loses to lesser teams and hard headed coaching in key moments. that said its just a hypothetical by me..
the job by sully since coming to pens is nothing short of amazing. turned a deadbeat uninspired underachieving team around in no time and win 2 cups! wow.

Last edited by bam morris on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:54 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe- ... 1497625098

Good article

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:28 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2017/06/16/Penguins-coach-Mike-Sullivan-Jim-Rutherford-Tom-Fitzgerald-Wilkes-Barre-AHL-Boston-Bruins/stories/201706160098?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1497625098

Good article

That article tells me a lot more about Rutherford than Sullivan.

What a great hire HE turned out to be.

And I remember the doubts when he was first brought on. Too old...too far removed from the Carolina's Cup-winning days in 2006.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next