It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:49 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Well, as mentioned, left Rivero in to face Hayward. And went with somebody else...anybody else to face Jay.
Watson is broken...done. But he's one of Hurdles "boys", so Clint will continue to run him out there in crucial situations. And Watson will choke up runs like the dog that he is.
You're a numbers guy... right Jeemie? Well, all the numbers from my "un-expert" POV, tell me that Hurdle fucked up big time in that inning. Maybe the first, most crucial mistake was using Rivera in the 8th. But ole Clint had already pre- determined that Nicasio was gong to close last night, regardless of situation. Managing on the fly is an option, but we all know has never been a Hurdle strong point.
But hey... just one mans opinion...what do you all think?

I saw the numbers. Here's mine...the bullpen, outside of Rivero and Nicasio, is hot garbage.

Maybe he goes with Rivero to start the inning...maybe he does it had Rivero not thrown 20 pitches in the 8th.

But Hurdle's got limited options in a shitty bullpen, so I hesitate to pin this on him.

Again, I pin it on Nut and Neal, who took the promise of 2013-2015 and shit on it because of cheapness.

Fair enough, but let me just share (my) three thoughts.
1. I'm not buying that throwing 20 pitches in an inning means that he can't face the lead off batter the next. Especially considering the lefty/lefty matchup, and that this particular hitter has been ass raping your other option. (Rah Rah guys Blass and Brown believed that not going with Rivera to start the 9th was a bad choice. What does that tell you?) That's decision is on Clint Hurdle.
2. While the bullpen may be "hot garbage", right now Tony Watson is the biggest pile of shit of them all. The guy is such a mental wreck, that I fear his career may be in jeopardy. Yet despite the recent list of failures, his number is once again called in a big spot. Once again he fails. Hurdle may not have great options, but he doesn't have no options. He choose TW. That decision is on Clint Hurdle.
3. Just as Mike Tomlin is in tune with Kevin Colbert on the Steelers drafts and acquisitions, Clint Hurdle is fully involved in the makeup of his roster. Now obviously that is within the budget anchor put set up by Asshole Nutting, but Hurdle is every bit a member of TGMTIMLB as Neil Huntington and Frank Coonely.
Well...if nothing else, Hurdle is giving us some baseball to talk about. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:19 pm 

Rivero should've pitched the 9th -- plain and simple

but fathead Hurdle is too set in his ways to adjust, unlike Mike Sullivan and other great coaches who not only adjust from game to game, but within the same game.

The Pirates lost 1/4th of their starting lineup before the season started, due to the players' stupidity, and yet this team is within reach of first place. Mismanagement of late innings has doomed the team. How many blown saves have we suffered? That's the difference between first place and last place

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:22 pm 

steel wrote:

but fathead Hurdle is too set in his ways to adjust, unlike Mike Sullivan and other great coaches who not only adjust from game to game, but within the same game.

The Pirates lost 1/4th of their starting lineup before the season started, due to the players' stupidity, and yet this team is within reach of first place. Mismanagement of late innings has doomed the team. How many blown saves have we suffered? That's the difference between first place and last place

Please...within reach of first place doesn't make this team a good team. It simply means the rest of the division sucks.

This team will not finish above .500 not because they lost players but because Nutting is building on the cheap again.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:03 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
steel wrote:

Please...within reach of first place doesn't make this team a good team. It simply means the rest of the division sucks.

This team will not finish above .500 not because they lost players
but because Nutting is building on the cheap again.

Oh yea, you're right -- no team would be affected by losing ONE FOURTH of their starting lineup -- the Steelers would be perfectly great if they lost 5+ key starters on the eve of the season.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:00 pm 

steel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
steel wrote:

This team will not finish above .500 not because they lost players
but because Nutting is building on the cheap again.

Oh yea, you're right -- no team would be affected by losing ONE FOURTH of their starting lineup -- the Steelers would be perfectly great if they lost 5+ key starters on the eve of the season.

Doubling down on the stupid of defending Nutting's ownership again, I see.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:11 pm 

Fascinating that no matter what narrative you want to push this team has it for you. Whether the dumbfuckery of Marte and Kang, or the cheapness of the owner, or ineptness of the manager... there always seems to be another scapegoat that should be taking the blame.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:19 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Fascinating that no matter what narrative you want to push this team has it for you. Whether the dumbfuckery of Marte and Kang, or the cheapness of the owner, or ineptness of the
manager... there always seems to be another scapegoat that should be taking the blame.

It is, but I'm sorry...for me it's a no-brainer that it's ownership.

They had a team capable of winning it all in 2015, and just let a shitload of talent walk without even trying to keep it.

Even this year...they knew Kang wouldn't be coming...no attempt to even try and address that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:12 pm 

Gents, some here just want to win. That's where I'm at. I wouldn't care if Nutting's payroll was $20 million if the team was winning. Alas, the team is losing -- again. At some point I do believe you get that for which you pay (or don't pay).

I now remind you all of the Frankie salary dump and how we parted with prospects not to win then but for financial flexibility (which hasn't been used to the extent it was implied it would be used). BTW -- where's Waldo (I mean Drew Hutchinson) -- the guy we were told would be a starter in 2017? He was a beard offered to our FO to make the fire sale less obvious (if that were possible).

Anyway, now that the Cubs are .500 and we're in the division race (allegedly) do you think that the FO will now use that financial flexibility (to pay everyday players or pitchers) to trade prospects for players? I think not. I think we're really really really going to be something special in say about, oh, 3-5 years from now.