It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9095
what clint do wrong last night?? did not watch game..i saw bucs up late tho..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20666
steel wrote:
Hurdle = Dan Bylsma/Mike Johnston

Pirates need to find their Mike Sullivan


The need to find their Lemieux/Burkle/Rutherford.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20666
bam morris wrote:
what clint do wrong last night?? did not watch game..i saw bucs up late tho..


Well...I had to step away for a bit, so it was 4-3 when I stopped watching (I did get back in time to watch both Harrison and Polanco strike out with the bases loaded).

Looks like Nicasio imploded in the 9th, so I'm assuming people think Hurdle kept him in too long.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 465
If by too long you mean 3 pitches, then Nicasio was in too long.

It wasn't just that the game was tied on two doubles within 3 pitches from Nicasio, it was the nature of the Cubs' 6 consecutive hits to start the 9th: Each one a strong line drive, hits in any ballpark in any decade, and all within 1, 2 or 3 pitches.

It made a sick joke of the previous 8 innings, which featured an encouraging Pirates comeback and a carefully nurtured lead.

_________________
“They who have put out the people’s eyes reproach them of their blindness.”
— John Milton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:32 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5855
Uhhh...lets see.
He used the lefty Rivera in the 8th....no problem.
Goes in to the 9th, nursing the one run lead, calling on Nicasio to close. For no other logical reason than the fact that he said that's what he was going to do. The first batter Nicasio is to face is left handed hitting Heyward, who has a career average against him of around .380. Heyward promptly laces the first pitch he sees into right center for a double. Another double blows the save, followed by a single and intentional walk, Hurdle yanks Nicasio with the game tied, bases loaded, no outs and inserts.....
Wait for it...

Tony "I can't get anyone out" Watson.

And to top it off, the first batter TW is to face is Jon Jay, who owns a career average against him of about 4 million(.417). Can't make this shit up! Jay takes the first pitch to left to untie the game. By the time Hurdle desides that Watson's work is done, the score is 9-4, and the game is over. Good stuff!

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Last edited by Jobus Rum on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9095
Steel Drummer wrote:
If by too long you mean 3 pitches, then Nicasio was in too long.

It wasn't just that the game was tied on two doubles within 3 pitches from Nicasio, it was the nature of the Cubs' 6 consecutive hits to start the 9th: Each one a strong line drive, hits in any ballpark in any decade, and all within 1, 2 or 3 pitches.

It made a sick joke of the previous 8 innings, which featured an encouraging Pirates comeback and a carefully nurtured lead.

yhanks for the feed back fellas! I saw the bucs had rallied for lead...then see online they give up 6 in 9th.. :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20666
Jobus Rum wrote:
Uhhh...lets see.
He used the lefty Rivera in the 8th....no problem.
Goes in to the 9th, nursing the one run lead, calling on Nicasio to close. For no other logical reason than the fact that he said that's what he was going to do. The first batter Nicasio is to face is left handed hitting Heyward, who has a career average against him of around .380. Heyward promptly laces the first pitch he sees into right center for a double. Another double blows the save, followed by a single and intentional walk, Hurdle yanks Nicasio with the game tied, bases loaded, no outs and inserts.....
Wait for it...

Tony "I can't get anyone out" Watson.

And to top it off, the first batter TW is to face is Jon Jay, who owns a career average against him of about 4 million(.417). Can't make this shit up! Jay takes the first pitch to left to untie the game. By the time Hurdle desides that Watson's work is done, the score is 9-4, and the game is over. Good stuff!


What would you have done?

Once he used Rivero in the 8th, and it took him 20 pitches to get through the inning, his options were limited.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 796
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
Jeemie wrote:
What would you have done?

Once he used Rivero in the 8th, and it took him 20 pitches to get through the inning, his options were limited.

Not sure, but it sounded like even the "Nutting cheerleaders" in the tv announcing booth were saying 'no way he takes Rivero out' right before seeing Nicasio beginning to warm up -- definitely sounded surprised at the move. Hurdle looked like he was at a funeral after the first (several) Cubs hits in the 9th.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:05 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5855
Jeemie wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Uhhh...lets see.
He used the lefty Rivera in the 8th....no problem.
Goes in to the 9th, nursing the one run lead, calling on Nicasio to close. For no other logical reason than the fact that he said that's what he was going to do. The first batter Nicasio is to face is left handed hitting Heyward, who has a career average against him of around .380. Heyward promptly laces the first pitch he sees into right center for a double. Another double blows the save, followed by a single and intentional walk, Hurdle yanks Nicasio with the game tied, bases loaded, no outs and inserts.....
Wait for it...

Tony "I can't get anyone out" Watson.

And to top it off, the first batter TW is to face is Jon Jay, who owns a career average against him of about 4 million(.417). Can't make this shit up! Jay takes the first pitch to left to untie the game. By the time Hurdle desides that Watson's work is done, the score is 9-4, and the game is over. Good stuff!


What would you have done?

Once he used Rivero in the 8th, and it took him 20 pitches to get through the inning, his options were limited.

Well, as mentioned, left Rivero in to face Hayward. And went with somebody else...anybody else to face Jay.
Watson is broken...done. But he's one of Hurdles "boys", so Clint will continue to run him out there in crucial situations. And Watson will choke up runs like the dog that he is.
You're a numbers guy... right Jeemie? Well, all the numbers from my "un-expert" POV, tell me that Hurdle fucked up big time in that inning. Maybe the first, most crucial mistake was using Rivera in the 8th. But ole Clint had already pre- determined that Nicasio was gong to close last night, regardless of situation. Managing on the fly is an option, but we all know has never been a Hurdle strong point.
But hey... just one mans opinion...what do you all think?

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game 67: Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20666
Jobus Rum wrote:
Well, as mentioned, left Rivero in to face Hayward. And went with somebody else...anybody else to face Jay.
Watson is broken...done. But he's one of Hurdles "boys", so Clint will continue to run him out there in crucial situations. And Watson will choke up runs like the dog that he is.
You're a numbers guy... right Jeemie? Well, all the numbers from my "un-expert" POV, tell me that Hurdle fucked up big time in that inning. Maybe the first, most crucial mistake was using Rivera in the 8th. But ole Clint had already pre- determined that Nicasio was gong to close last night, regardless of situation. Managing on the fly is an option, but we all know has never been a Hurdle strong point.
But hey... just one mans opinion...what do you all think?


I saw the numbers. Here's mine...the bullpen, outside of Rivero and Nicasio, is hot garbage.

Maybe he goes with Rivero to start the inning...maybe he does it had Rivero not thrown 20 pitches in the 8th.

But Hurdle's got limited options in a shitty bullpen, so I hesitate to pin this on him.

Again, I pin it on Nut and Neal, who took the promise of 2013-2015 and shit on it because of cheapness.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group