It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: NHL Expansion.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:55 am 

I've been thinking about expansion... Pens will be really lucky if Vegas takes Fleury.

1. Murray is clearly the guy. Fleury played well in the playoffs, but also had many atrocious starts. It is clear Murray is better.

2. That means Fleury is an expensive back-up. Let's say he play 25 games with the Pens. Over 25 games, there likely isn't a material difference between Fleury and a normal back-up (note Fleury was awful in this role last year).

3. All other teams are likely losing a key piece.

4. Therefore, the Pens are losing a guy they needed to get rid of anyhow, while many other teams are losing a guy they don't want to lose. Accordingly, if Fleury is taken, then the Penguins become stronger vis-à-vis other teams.

Post subject: Re: NHL Expansion.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:23 am 

We don't win the cup without him this year so there is that. I think having two top flight net minders is a good issue to have. If Murray gets hurt before or during the playoffs and Flurry is gone that 5 million would have been a bargain. That being said he is good as gone and let's hope we can get a decent back up and Murray stays healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:27 am 

I don't know, Zeke. I have a hard time believing LV would take Flower. There should be several younger more attractive netminders available to them via teams that have a solid vet in place and can't protect the young guy. I guess you could argue that they'd take a guy like that and a vet like Flower... but I'd rather have multiple of the former. It's gonna take them a few years at least to be competitive anyway.

The list of protected players is to be released Sunday. That will give us a look at who's available to LV. Then we see their selections on the 21st. This shit moves fast when you play into June 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30 am 

jamsx1 wrote:
We don't win the cup without him this year so there is that. I think having two top flight net minders is a good issue to have. If Murray gets hurt before or during the playoffs and Flurry is gone that 5 million would have been a bargain. That being said he is good as gone and let's hope we can get a decent back up and Murray stays healthy.

Tristan Jarry would back up Murray next season. By all accounts, he's ready and has a great chance to be excellent at the NHL level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:37 am 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
jamsx1 wrote:

Tristan Jarry would back up Murray next season. By all accounts, he's ready and has a great chance to be excellent at the NHL level.

Yeah. Jarry might be better than Fleury today. At the very least, Jarry with five million of better team around him is likely better. The problem with insurance is that it is costly. In order to threepete, I think we need to take some risks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:41 am 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
I don't know, Zeke. I have a hard time believing LV would take Flower. There should be several younger more attractive netminders available to them via teams that have a solid vet in place and can't protect the young guy. I guess you could argue that they'd take a guy like that and a vet like Flower... but I'd rather have multiple of the former. It's gonna take them a few years at least to be competitive anyway.

The list of protected players is to be released Sunday. That will give us a look at who's available to LV. Then we see their selections on the 21st. This shit moves fast when you play into June 8-)

Vegas must select 3 goaltenders in the expansion draft. It seems pretty likely that their starting goalie next year will be one of: Philip Grubauer, Antti Raanta, or MAF.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Vegas take all 3 of those guys and use them as trade bait - Calgary is a playoff caliber team with (quite literally) no NHL goalie under contract. Philly and Vancouver have crap in net and could use a goalie. Or....Vegas could take Raanta & Grubauer and trade them right back to their old teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:43 am 

Pabst wrote:
Y-Town Steel wrote:

Vegas must select 3 goaltenders in the expansion draft. It seems pretty likely that their starting goalie next year will be one of: Philip Grubauer, Antti Raanta, or MAF.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Vegas take all 3 of those guys and use them as trade bait - Calgary is a playoff caliber team with (quite literally) no NHL goalie under contract. Philly and Vancouver have crap in net and could use a goalie. Or....Vegas could take Raanta & Grubauer and trade them right back to their old teams.

I didn't realize Vegas HAD to draft three goalies.

Thanks for the info.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 am 

No prob. Here are all the details: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592
Quote:
The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:18 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Y-Town Steel wrote:

Good stuff Pabst.

Another thing that is not being talked about. Vegas might come out with a decent roster and that is because of the overall talent level in today's NHL is better than it was when the last expansion took place around 2000.

Very interested in seeing how Vegas builds their team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:54 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Good stuff Pabst.

Another thing that is not being talked about. Vegas might come out with a decent roster and that is because of the overall talent level in today's NHL is better than it was when the last expansion took place around 2000.

Very interested in seeing how Vegas builds their team.

The salary cap this time around helps change things too. Teams are throwing draft picks at Vegas just so their selections can bring some cap relief. In past expansion drafts a team would have little incentive to take a guy with any salary attached to them at all. A guy in the middle of his career couldn't really help those previous expansion teams to build for the future. They wanted young and cheap and that was it. But now Vegas can take bonafide players in the middle or even later stages of their careers and still build toward the future since draft picks are also being dangled as incentive. I think Vegas may end up with a team that could compete for playoff spot in year 1.

Last edited by SteelPro on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next