It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL Expansion.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 am 

stillenigma wrote:
Vegas tried too hard to make it fun. For most of those guys, the idea of uprooting lives/families to play for a cellar dwellar is not all that funny.

Until their paychecks come in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:54 am 

stillenigma wrote:
Vegas tried too hard to make it fun. For most of those guys, the idea of uprooting lives/families to play for a cellar dwellar is not all that funny.

That whole production, even excluding the draft was stupid. I was half expecting Steigy to come out and start the Fleury/Murray dual chant again.

The NHL is SO bad at promoting itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:04 am 

The best part was when Joe kicked Bettman out of his seat to move Crosby closer to the stage.

The league tried to make it about moving on from Crosby as the face of the league to Connor McDavid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:38 am 

This feels a lot like Franco as a Seahawk.

Wrong on so many levels but inevitable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
The best part was when Joe kicked Bettman out of his seat to move Crosby closer to the stage.

The league tried to make it about moving on from Crosby as the face of the league to Connor McDavid.

OK, so there's Crosby fatigue-- I guess you can talk your way into McDavid.
and Matt Murray's rookie season was diffused by it being over the course of two SCP... I don't like it, but I get it.

But Mike Sullivan finishing 8th in COY is utter WTF.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
As predicted, there was no shot of Vegas taking Rust or whomever else......

And all it cost us to prevent that was a 2020 second round pick.

Front office vindicates my faith in them yet again.

They've given us no reason to question them...we should always give them the benefit of the doubt until they start proving otherwise.

Penguins are by far the best-run of the three major sports' franchises in Pittsburgh at the moment.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:32 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Doesn't feel like that at all to me.

The Franco thing was all about him wanting to be paid for what he had done in the past.

This was something different...it was just time for Fleury to move on.

And his postseason shows he still deserves a chance to start instead waste away as a backup.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Doesn't feel like that at all to me.

The Franco thing was all about him wanting to be paid for what he had done in the past.

This was something different...it was just time for Fleury to move on.

And his postseason shows he still deserves a chance to start instead waste away as a backup.

I've never seen anything like this, to be honest. Had I not known what happened and checked my social media feeds, I'd have thought Fleury died of some horrible disease.

I've just never seen this weird cross section of having an athlete that was a hallmark of a team for this long, still in his prime, and absolutely beloved as a person, leave against his will....while just about everyone involved including the player, the organization, and the fans all understand that it's for the best for both the player AND the organization.

Those things almost never all line up at the same time when a player of that caliber leaves a team.

It's just so weird. I've seen people compare it to Bettis' retirement, but Bettis was on the downside of his career and ready to hang up his cleats already. He made that choice on his own free will and I suspect it was a pretty easy one.

Heard one guy on the radio compare it to Montana/Young in San Francisco. I'm not quite old enough to remember the details of that scenario, but I believe Montana was battling injury and very much on the downside of his career when he went to KC. Even still, it might be the closest I can think of.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I've never seen anything like this, to be honest. Had I not known what happened and checked my social media feeds, I'd have thought Fleury died of some horrible disease.

I've just never seen this weird cross section of having an athlete that was a hallmark of a team for this long, still in his prime, and absolutely beloved as a person, leave against his will....while just about everyone involved including the player, the organization, and the fans all understand that it's for the best for both the player AND the organization.

Those things almost never all line up at the same time when a player of that caliber leaves a team.

It's just so weird. I've seen people compare it to Bettis' retirement, but Bettis was on the downside of his career and ready to hang up his cleats already. He made that choice on his own free will and I suspect it was a pretty easy one.

Heard one guy on the radio compare it to Montana/Young in San Francisco. I'm not quite old enough to remember the details of that scenario, but I believe Montana was battling injury and very much on the downside of his career when he went to KC. Even still, it might be the closest I can think of.

Montana/Young probably comes the closest.

We might not have been forced to this but for the salary cap and expansion...but Murray IS the future, and he is also ready now, so unfortunately, this had to happen.

PS Montana went on to not have a half-bad career with the Chiefs, so...that's what I hope for Fleury.

As long as he's not traded to the Flyers...THAT would kinda suck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:56 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:

Montana/Young probably comes the closest.

We might not have been forced to this but for the salary cap and expansion...but Murray IS the future, and he is also ready now, so unfortunately, this had to happen.

PS Montana went on to not have a half-bad career with the Chiefs, so...that's what I hope for Fleury.

As long as he's not traded to the Flyers...THAT would kinda suck.

Like I said before this expansion draft in regards to the Pens was about protecting Murray. Even Fleury understood he was the odd man out and Murray was the future. That is why he waived the movement clause in his contract. It gave him the chance to still be relevant in the NHL as a starting tender.

Fleury had an incredible career in Pittsburgh. Not once did he embarrass the organization. Even when he went to the tiles in the playoffs he took the advice from the organization and sought out psychological treatment for the yips.
He left behind quite a legacy in Pittsburgh-the kind they put up statues for or a banner in the arena.

The Pens organization has moved on from Lemieux, Jagr, Gary Roberts and Billy Guerin. One day they will move on from Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby. It was Flowers time.

He will always be the best tender to me that played for the Pens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next