It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:36 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:
Just to be fair yooous guys sure love the goons :D

This is a "goon" that can also actually play.

Never going to score a lot of goals, but is always where he needs to be.

Dave Schultz scored 115 goal in 5 minor league seasons

Scored 20 in 73-74 champ season

.....in before "I know I know"

:P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:10 pm 

Oh and one more thing from this hockey purist

Many kudos to Sullivan.....he's a gem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Absolutely love the trade! He will become a fan favorite the first time he punishes an opposing player for fucking with Crosby. Look for that to happen right out of the gate to send teams a message that messing with Crosby gets your ass kicked. With that said, I firmly believe in eye for an eye. If the other team wants to fuck with Crosby, have Reaves knock their #1 guy the fuck out!

:P :P :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:51 pm 

to hacksaw..no way suban plays that shit with Crosby in finals if reaves around..thats huge.. reaves will skate in and fuck his ass up..one way or another.. subans head will be on a swivel. that helps pens.. that helps sid.. so what if in blowout game ; win or lose this guy pummels their guys. I love it. helps pens with opponents thinking about his ass blasting them.
I think this guy will surprise us scoring..with our weapons all ready he can be a force..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 pm 

My official take on what we will see:

Knowing Sully likes his guys to just "play", I don't think a whole lot is going to change. I don't think we will see Reaves step on the ice and immediately go after someone unless the activity is rather egregious. With Reaves speed and size, I think he has the ability to float up and down the lines in order to give a physical element to the Pens game. Do expect him to charge in around the net when the whistle blows. This is where he will earn minutes for the team. He will disrupt all of the hacking, cross checking, face washing once the whistle stops play. I also wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him at times in front of the goalie on power plays - a guy that big and tough in front of opposing goalies makes the D's job that much harder. Sully will train him to be smart about his play until he gives the command and sets him loose. Reaves will earn his minutes by playing smart but tough physical hockey in control of himself. this will be Sully's approach with him. Reaves can skate, has good hands, plays the full length of the ice very well, and has a quick release on the shot. Yes, he's a bigger, badder version of Kunitz - but with more speed, nearly twice as big, and is a true heavyweight should the gloves drop! We'll see a different Reaves on the ice for the Penguins as Sully will mold him into exactly what this team needs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 pm 

Reaves has been evolving in that direction over the years -- He doesn't fight nearly as much any more - I think I read that he had only 6 fights last year.
Reaves is definitely not an "enforcer" like Sestito, who is solely a fighter. Reaves can actually skate and has earned more and more ice time over the years.
I can totally see Sully working him into the 3rd/4th line rotation and expecting him to skate and make plays, not merely "fight."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 am 

steel wrote:
Reaves has been evolving in that direction over the years -- He doesn't fight nearly as much any more - I think I read that he had only 6 fights last year.
Reaves is definitely not an "enforcer" like Sestito, who is solely a fighter. Reaves can actually skate and has earned more and more ice time over the years.
I can totally see Sully working him into the 3rd/4th line rotation and expecting him to skate and make plays, not merely "fight."

Yea anyone calling Reaves a "goon" doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. Dude can fly whereas a guy like Sestito can barely skate. They aren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of being able to play hockey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:53 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
My initial response is that we gave up too much for Reaves but I trust Rutherford and his vision. .

I also thought this and agree about JR too but I started thinking that JR may have to overpay now with all the success he is having.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:59 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
My initial response is that we gave up too much for Reaves but I trust Rutherford and his vision. .

I also thought this and agree about JR too but I started thinking that JR may have to overpay now with all the success he is having.

clearly they targeted reaves..they must see a lot they like..!! I think hes gonna be great addition and fan fav!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:20 pm 

Now for the other side of the coin... there is very little evidence that a player like Reaves is any deterrent at all for other teams taking a run at a star player...

Quote:
So will any of that work? Can Reaves actually provide that sort of protection?

There is no doubt he will be willing to respond after the fact, because even though his fight totals have decreased in recent years he is still a willing heavyweight.

The issue is whether or not he can stop even a little bit of the abuse toward his teammates by making opponents like Washington’s Tom Wilson or Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky (two of the biggest thorns in the Penguins’ side) take notice.

The easiest way to answer that now is to look at what sort of abuse the Blues — Reaves’ former team — took in recent years.

It was a lot.

Over the past four seasons the St. Louis Blues — Reaves’ former team — were on the receiving end of eight incidents that resulted in supplemental discipline from the NHL (suspension or fine), typically reserved for the dirtiest plays. The only team that was on the receiving end of more during that stretch was the Boston Bruins (10 –and keep in mind, this was a team that had Shawn Thornton and Milan Lucic for most of those years).

During one nine-day stretch in 2014 the Blues lost T.J. Oshie and David Backes to head shots. The two hits resulted in seven games in suspensions while Oshie and Backes both missed playoff games. Reaves was in the lineup both nights.

The next season Minnesota’s Marco Scandella was fined for an illegal hit to the head on Oshie. Last year New Jersey’s Bobby Farnham was hit with a four-game ban for taking a late, cheap run at Dmitri Jaskin while Reaves was on the ice. There are also several other borderline hits that did not result in supplemental discipline (like this, and this, and this).

https://sports.yahoo.com/let-talk-why-p ... 16743.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next