It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
As much as it pains me to agree with Mark Madden, he pretty much nailed it in his article. If I were to be mad at this trade, it'd be more for giving up the 1st rounder than losing Sundqvist. That's not to say I am mad about that, just that I value the pick more than Sundqvist, even knowing that it's the 31st pick. But more to Madden's point, Pittsburgh fans have a lot of what I've coined "Derek Moye Syndrome" where they seem to love building no-name players up to be more than are...or ever will be. And I think there's a good bit of that in the outrage for losing Sundqvist. I think he could have stepped in and been an OK 3rd or 4th line center, but to pretend he was some irreplaceable prodigy isn't something I agree with. And I think that even if he were still on the roster, GMJR would have still been looking to sign/resign two centers for those #3 and #4 center spots.

http://1059thex.iheart.com/content/2017-06-26-pens-traded-sundqvist-not-yzerman/

Quote:
Those moaning because Oskar Sundqvist got traded probably don’t remember Angelo Esposito and Kasperi Kapanen. Not many do.

Fans like to fancy themselves as “hardcore,” and thus pretend they know more about a guy like Sundqvist than they really do. That goes for some media, too.

How many times did these “hardcore” types see Sundqvist play?

The outrage is knee-jerk, and exists to make said nimrods feel like experts.

But they’re not.

Sundqvist was a third-round pick. At 23, he’s not yet an NHL regular. Consider what Jake Guentzel, also a third-round pick, has done at 22.

The Penguins sustained a ton of injuries last year, but Sundqvist played just 10 regular-season games and none in the playoffs. Carter Rowney, a mediocre talent at best, was preferred in the postseason.

The Penguins traded Sundqvist, not Steve Yzerman.

GM Jim Rutherford feels that targeting Sidney Crosby has accelerated, and especially did so during the playoffs.

Ryan Reaves can play a regular shift at fourth-line right wing in the postseason. He’s a better skater and player than Rowney. St. Louis played 11 playoff games, and Reaves participated in every one.

Reaves doesn’t fight a ton: Only six times this past season. But he’s big, he can skate, and he can hit. Reaves ranked tenth in the NHL with 239 hits.

Reaves is a solid fourth-liner, and a good fit for the Penguins.

Read more: http://1059thex.iheart.com/content/2017 ... z4l8oha0k5

good article -- Pretty much the consensus view of (most) on the board here (except for at least one numbskull)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7