It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1260
I honestly don't get why people have it in for Tom Kuhnhackl. I think he is adequate as a 4th liner.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4490
SteelPro wrote:
I honestly don't get why people have it in for Tom Kuhnhackl. I think he is adequate as a 4th liner.


I dislike him for a multitude of reasons:

1) He falls down half the time (and I'm not exaggerating)
2) He can barely catch a pass
3) Sully seems to be his pet
4) Most importantly, he's plodding and doesn't fit the identity of this team.

Put Kuhn in the West and I think he's ok to bang around with the bigger guys. I get that not every player is going to be a great passer/shooter/etc, but I'd rather have a fast guy with no hands than a slow guy with no hands on this team.

He's labeled as this PKer extraordinaire and he failed to get a simple clear on the 1st PP goal against and then the 2nd PP goal he didn't block (and he's supposedly the god of shot blocking). He's been poor on some prior Pks as well.
I'd rather have a quicker guy from WBS on the PK who can hound the puck carrier and harass them vs someone like Kuhn who is so reactive.

The past 2 yrs he's been a fine 13th F who can occasionally play and give a good effort on the 4th line. But him playing regularly makes this lineup weaker. Swap Reaves for Kuhn and we don't lose much (and I'm not advocating for either guy to be a regular)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2253
Donnie Brasco wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I honestly don't get why people have it in for Tom Kuhnhackl. I think he is adequate as a 4th liner.


I dislike him for a multitude of reasons:

1) He falls down half the time (and I'm not exaggerating)
2) He can barely catch a pass
3) Sully seems to be his pet
4) Most importantly, he's plodding and doesn't fit the identity of this team.

Put Kuhn in the West and I think he's ok to bang around with the bigger guys. I get that not every player is going to be a great passer/shooter/etc, but I'd rather have a fast guy with no hands than a slow guy with no hands on this team.

He's labeled as this PKer extraordinaire and he failed to get a simple clear on the 1st PP goal against and then the 2nd PP goal he didn't block (and he's supposedly the god of shot blocking). He's been poor on some prior Pks as well.
I'd rather have a quicker guy from WBS on the PK who can hound the puck carrier and harass them vs someone like Kuhn who is so reactive.

The past 2 yrs he's been a fine 13th F who can occasionally play and give a good effort on the 4th line. But him playing regularly makes this lineup weaker. Swap Reaves for Kuhn and we don't lose much (and I'm not advocating for either guy to be a regular)


Yet he still falls down less than Sheary...

Kuhn is average speed; not slow. He actually has some skill. Really irritating player actually because sometimes you see some pretty good skill but it rarely flashes. He is a solid 4th liner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 2916
Get ready for the Reaves return.
Sheary is week to week and Rust took his place next to 12/87 in practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
No doubt Kuhnackl is approaching his expiration date, but I could also see him being the bottom-6 heir apparent to the thorn that was Craig Adams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
Because of injury, Ryan Reaves unfortunately made his way back into the lineup tonight against the Capitals (2/2/18). I'm going to live update this because I know not much will change on the stat sheet.

Despite all the geniuses on this board saying Reaves would deter other teams from playing dirty with the Penguins, the Capitals had their way with 60 minutes of dirty hits and cheap shots. Reaves did nothing.

Here's one such quote!

Quote:
The real benefit is the preventative in that we can now put a hurting on your stars too. Bullets don't fly in a Cold War.


--SteelPro

Not good enough? How about another! Let's bring up our favorite super retard, 57-year-old yinzer steel, and his mindless post from June. Notice his typical poor use of capitalization and punctuation.

Quote:
Fuckin A Right -- DETERRENCE WORKS


--steel the retard

So, who got things right here? Well, it was your resident super genius, Hacksaw Jim Duggan. HOOOOOO!!!!!

Quote:
Let's forward to the 2017-2018 season. Picture this, Sidney Crosby is in front of the net in the first round of the playoffs against the wild card New York Rangers. Then, a scene all too familiar occurs, Marc Staal cross checks Crosby viciously in the back of the head. But wait! Here comes Reaves off the bench to rescue our captain and violently assault Staal. Oh. Oh wait. You mean a player's presence on a team isn't going to stop Crosby or any other star from getting pummeled? You mean that has been proven the case time and time again? You mean maybe the problem is the league's inability to police and protect their stars? You mean Reaves got a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench? Oh. "Vengeance for Sid"? What a fucking stupid comment. Yes, the Penguins star player is out of the game with a concussion. Don't worry! Here comes our tough guy Reaves to get a 5 minute boarding major! Hooray! Dumb. Clueless.



Reaves vs. Capitals
0 Goals
0 Assists
0 +/-
7:56 TOI
10+ times he watched a Capitals player cheapshot a teammate and did nothing.
1 Ian Cole crushed via Tom Wilson. Reaves did not engage Wilson.
1 Kris Letang assault from T.J. Oshie. Reaves watched from a foot away
1 Patric Hornqvist demolished by Brooks Orpik. Reaves does not establish any physical presence.

Quote:
Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.Man you have fallen on hard times.

Even the dig on steel doesn't rescue this from being one of your dumber posts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1260
This is a fun game.

Quote:
He’s everything we expected him to be when we acquired him,” Sullivan said earlier this week. “He brings a dimension to our team that has certainly made our opponents aware of how they play against us.”


- Mike Sullivan, 2 time Stanley Cup winning coach

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
SteelPro wrote:
This is a fun game.

Quote:
He’s everything we expected him to be when we acquired him,” Sullivan said earlier this week. “He brings a dimension to our team that has certainly made our opponents aware of how they play against us.”


- Mike Sullivan, 2 time Stanley Cup winning coach


Is that dimension being a healthy scratch? Playing 5 minutes a night? What were the Capitals aware of last night?

Do you like this next quote?

Quote:
“He’s a guy that brings a physical element to our team,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said after his club’s 7-4 win. “He has the ability to create some anxiety and he has the ability, I think, to give our players a certain comfort level when they’re on the ice.”


--Mike Sullivan, two-time Stanley Cup-winning Coach, on Tom Sestito, current AHL player for the Pittsburgh Penguins. This player could have done the same thing for the Penguins and not cost a first round pick. I mean, with such high praise from Mike Sullivan, why even bother with Reaves? Mike Sullivan sure does seem to support his own players by positively praising them. That's so weird. But since he's been scratching Reaves, it's almost like...hmm...I don't know. Maybe he was saying positive things about Reaves but really weighing rational thoughts in his head to create the best lineup for his team to win?

You know what? I think someone mentioned Tom Sestito earlier in this thread. Oh my God! It's coming back to me.

Quote:
I don't mind the addition of a guy to the lineup to protect the stars. I can see a need for it in the regular season against the Flyers or Capitals. Tom Sestito can fill that role. Oh, and hey, he wouldn't cost a first round pick and a ok prospect.

--Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Holy. Shit. It's almost like I could SEE INTO THE FUTURE!

What yesterday proved to me is Reaves CAN'T fill that role because he didn't punish the Capitals players for targeting Penguins. Sestito has proven in the past to do just that.

Get triggered. Don't feel bad. You're not the only one who was clueless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... 42e38985fe
Reaves was there. He certainly stopped this from happening.


Quote:
Stop it. You're triggerin' me!


--SteelPro


This IS fun! :lol:


Let's play a fun game. Let's use the same scenario I mentioned in June and replace Staal/Crosby with Letang/Oshie.

Quote:
Let's forward to the 2017-2018 season. Picture this, Kris Letang is along the boards in a regular season game against the Capitals. Then, a scene all too familiar occurs, T.J. Oshie cross checks Kris Letang viciously in the back of the head. But wait! Here comes Reaves from literally four feet away to come to our defensemen's resuce. Oh. Oh wait. You mean a player's presence on a team isn't going to stop Letang or any other star from getting pummeled? You mean that has been proven the case time and time again? You mean maybe the problem is the league's inability to police and protect their stars? You mean Reaves got a 10-game suspension for a post whistle assault? Oh. "Vengeance for Letang"? What a fucking stupid comment. Yes, the Penguins star player is out of the game with a concussion. Don't worry! Here comes our tough guy Reaves to get a 5 minute boarding major! Hooray! Dumb. Clueless.


It's like I could see into the future! Whoa!

100% right. Again.


Last edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
Because of injuries to our star players because the Capitals weren't pissing their pants at the sight of Ryan Reaves, Mr. Reaves got to get in his 5-6 minutes of pure waste tonight in a 3-1 loss in New Jersey.

Here are the stats.

0 G
0 A
0 +/-
6:57 TOI

Another banner day. We're coming closer and closer to that 10-12 goal season, right retard steel?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
Surprise! Reaves scored a huge goal to get the Pens rolling vs Vegas 2/6/18. Unfortunately, he'll likely be useless for another 15 games. Good to see the current scapegoat beat the former scapegoat for a goal in a classic Fleury meltdown.

1 Goal
0 Assists
0 +/-
9:49 ice time


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4520
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Man - did Reaves fuck you or something? You have some serious hate for this cat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1862
Suwanee88 wrote:
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Man - did Reaves fuck you or something? You have some serious hate for this cat.


Between Hacksaw and Reaves, and Donnie and Kuhnackl, there seems to be a lot of penguins who have kicked the dogs of Steelerfury memebers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23382
Yeah but nothing compares to Ben Roethlisberger dissing you by not acknowledging you when you say hi...

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
2/11/18 @ STL

Reaves
0 G
0 A
- 1
TOI: 5:11

Big-time "homecoming" for Ryan Reaves. You'd think he'd get an icetime bump in this situation, especially with his dad watching, but Reaves barely saw 5 mins. No surprise, especially after that absolutely atrocious goal against in which Letang went full retard and Reaves, who could have covered for him, whiffed terribly behind the net. He brought so much toughness on the bench though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4490
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Man - did Reaves fuck you or something? You have some serious hate for this cat.


Between Hacksaw and Reaves, and Donnie and Kuhnackl, there seems to be a lot of penguins who have kicked the dogs of Steelerfury memebers.


To be fair, I'm not posting game by game stat lines :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1260
Reaves has certainly not been very good this year. It is a very valid argument that he is a poor fit for this club. If you don't buy the notion that he is a deterrent for other teams taking liberties on the Penguins stars, then he really provides nothing (though being a deterrent is hard to quantify). Even if he is a deterrent there are good arguments to be made that an equally capable enforcer can be found that doesn't cost $1.2 M in salary. However, the notion that he is sitting just watching while he his teammates get pummeled every night could use a fact check. Reaves has been credited with 153 hits this season. Yeah, I'm aware that stat has some flaws and it might not be the most meaningful or accurate assessment of physical play. But it is the best we got, and FWIW Reaves has the the 12th most hits in the league. He is the Penguins team leader in hits by a pretty large margin. That is while playing less than 7 minutes per game on average. He is clearly trying to be a physical presence during his time on the ice. Whether that is a meaningful deterrent is anyone's guess.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
SteelPro wrote:
Reaves has certainly not been very good this year. It is a very valid argument that he is a poor fit for this club. If you don't buy the notion that he is a deterrent for other teams taking liberties on the Penguins stars, then he really provides nothing (though being a deterrent is hard to quantify). Even if he is a deterrent there are good arguments to be made that an equally capable enforcer can be found that doesn't cost $1.2 M in salary. However, the notion that he is sitting just watching while he his teammates get pummeled every night could use a fact check. Reaves has been credited with 153 hits this season. Yeah, I'm aware that stat has some flaws and it might not be the most meaningful or accurate assessment of physical play. But it is the best we got, and FWIW Reaves has the the 12th most hits in the league. He is the Penguins team leader in hits by a pretty large margin. That is while playing less than 7 minutes per game on average. He is clearly trying to be a physical presence during his time on the ice. Whether that is a meaningful deterrent is anyone's guess.


You sure about that?

https://twitter.com/chasepwilliams/stat ... -letang%2F

Let's go back to something a super genius said earlier in this thread!

Quote:
You mean a player's presence on a team isn't going to stop Crosby or any other star from getting pummeled? You mean that has been proven the case time and time again? You mean maybe the problem is the league's inability to police and protect their stars?


--Hacksaw Jim Duggan

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/ther ... r-players/


For your reading pleasure.

Quote:
"Jagr's our best player and whenever somebody takes a run at him it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen again," Tootoo said Tuesday night.

"I asked the guy to go, countless times, and when you're a player that is going to run around and do [expletive] like that to our best players, it's my job to take action and make sure it stops right there."

And that's the thing. Tootoo did try to take action, and he did try to make sure it stopped. But it didn't. And not only did it not stop, it continued with Tootoo on the ice and ended with Jagr leaving the game after an illegal hit. When asked if it would carry over to the next time they play, Tootoo said he won't forget what number Bortuzzo wears. The two will probably fight if they're both in the lineup, but again, what is that going to change? It's not going to stop Bortuzzo from playing physical because that's what got him to the NHL and it's what is going to keep him in the NHL.

Nate Thompson beating up Keith Ballard is not going to stop him from hip checking a future player into oblivion if he gets the chance.

There was a time, starting in the mid-to-late 1980s and lasting for about two decades, that teams insisted on having a roster spot dedicated to a guy that had no other role but to play four or five minutes per game and fight. Teams felt they were bodyguards for their star players and that they could either deter violence or make other teams answer for violence that they dished out. But they did nothing of the sort, and in recent years there were just as many hits warranting supplementary discipline when the heavyweights were in the lineup than they when they were not. Given how that role has sharply declined in recent years and with fewer and fewer teams keeping a "fighter" on their roster, I suspect teams have started to realize that and understand that the roster spot is too valuable to waste on a player who isn't helping on the ice and isn't offering the type of protection they want.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1260
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:

For your reading pleasure.

Quote:
"Jagr's our best player and whenever somebody takes a run at him it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen again," Tootoo said Tuesday night.

"I asked the guy to go, countless times, and when you're a player that is going to run around and do [expletive] like that to our best players, it's my job to take action and make sure it stops right there."

And that's the thing. Tootoo did try to take action, and he did try to make sure it stopped. But it didn't. And not only did it not stop, it continued with Tootoo on the ice and ended with Jagr leaving the game after an illegal hit. When asked if it would carry over to the next time they play, Tootoo said he won't forget what number Bortuzzo wears. The two will probably fight if they're both in the lineup, but again, what is that going to change? It's not going to stop Bortuzzo from playing physical because that's what got him to the NHL and it's what is going to keep him in the NHL.

Nate Thompson beating up Keith Ballard is not going to stop him from hip checking a future player into oblivion if he gets the chance.

There was a time, starting in the mid-to-late 1980s and lasting for about two decades, that teams insisted on having a roster spot dedicated to a guy that had no other role but to play four or five minutes per game and fight. Teams felt they were bodyguards for their star players and that they could either deter violence or make other teams answer for violence that they dished out. But they did nothing of the sort, and in recent years there were just as many hits warranting supplementary discipline when the heavyweights were in the lineup than they when they were not. Given how that role has sharply declined in recent years and with fewer and fewer teams keeping a "fighter" on their roster, I suspect teams have started to realize that and understand that the roster spot is too valuable to waste on a player who isn't helping on the ice and isn't offering the type of protection they want.


I generally agree an enforcer is a wasted roster spot. However this year a 3 time Stanley Cup winning GM thought that roster spot was worth a gamble to try to do something to help a team that had lost more man games to injury than any other team over the last half decade. Maybe he should have consulted with the super genius first.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 904
SteelPro wrote:
I generally agree an enforcer is a wasted roster spot. However this year a 3 time Stanley Cup winning GM thought that roster spot was worth a gamble to try to do something to help a team that had lost more man games to injury than any other team over the last half decade. Maybe he should have consulted with the super genius first.


The same 3-time Stanley Cup-winning GM that hired a junior coach to manage the aspirations of a Stanley Cup contender with Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby? The junior coach who hadn't sniffed an NHL head coaching position and whose meager NHL experience ended six years before getting hired. That one?

The same GM that traded for Jordan Staal and gave up huge assets, even though Staal had the Penguins over a barrel, declining their new contract offer and stating he wanted to play with his brother?

Seems like an easily identifiable, terrible mistake ended up being an easily identifiable, terrible mistake.

The league has been trending away from the goons and the "protectors." Maybe Reaves is "more" than that (lol), but he certainly came in to be a "goon" and "enforce" the game. All the interviews after the trade and even today are about that. This antiquated thought hasn't come to fruition as JR hoped. Surprise!

Bit of mental gymnastics there on the man games lost. Dating things back more than half a decade makes it even more questionable, as the Penguins roster was completely different and even employed more "tough guys" during that time frame than it does now.

Anyway, in order to bring that up as an argument, you'd have to assume:
A) A large chunk of injuries occurred because the Penguins stars or players in general were not being protected
B) If there were such a protector, the Penguins stars/players would not experience injuries

But those are falsehoods you know to be untrue that you're using to form an argument to make yourself feel better. You all lost because you were wrong. I was right. I will continue to let you know that.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group