It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who gets SEVEN titles first...Steelers or Pens?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:28 pm 

If I had to bet, I'd go with the Pens, who are built to possibly take one or two more in the next five or six years.

The Steelers' window will close in two or three when Ben retires or goes into decline.

In other words, I think the chances of Pens getting two is greater than Steelers getting one, especially with the Patriots intact. And especially with the Steelers being the Capitals vs. the Penguins when it comes the playoffs.

Post subject: Re: Who gets SEVEN titles first...Steelers or Pens?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:43 pm 

I'm inclined to agree with you - coaching is underestimated and the Pens have the right man for the job

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:50 pm 

Although I think the coach has meaningful impact, I'd argue that the personality of the team and the unity of the team is the biggest factor in both teams' favor. Football is harder: 53 guys instead of 20. I know this: Deebo and Ben have every bit the leadership qualities and wowing their own teammates factor that Crosby and Malkin do... They need some help in ditching the guys who aren't the right role players or aren't the right leaders. If they can sort it out, I think the coaching gap will seem a lot less pronounced. (and I am one who thinks we have some real gaps in our offensive football plan)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:15 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with you - coaching is underestimated and the Pens have the right man for the job

I have to upvote this message

Even I have to give major props to Sullivan

He def has my respect

He seems like a throwback to Fred Shero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm 

This is a fair question to ask, maybe one that should have been posted on the football end as well(get more opinions).

After the Pens blew another 3-1 series lead, this time to the Rangers back in 2014, I thought the Pens were dead in the water. Remember how they(Shero) gave new deals to older players like Dupuis, Kunitz and Scuderi, all four years after that debacle?
I really thought that the team was going in the wrong direction. The evidence suggested that Bylsma was regressing as a coach and Shero was too loyal to older players.
It looked like a bleak future for the Pens.
But they made changes both in the front office and the head coach.
There was another change in the head coaching position more than a year later after the disaster that Johnston was.
The Pens ownership realized that change was needed even if meant going through two head coaches in just over a year.

Look how it worked out.

I don't think the Steelers will ever operate like that-they don't think change is a good thing. Todd Haley is probably set in his position even though his work is underwhelming. Tomlin has tried to rebuild the defense since 2011 when he started the rebuild with Heyward. But that was 6 years ago.
In all that time the Steelers struggled to make the playoffs. And they can't beat New England, not right now.

I don't think the Steelers have the balls to make a move even though the results suggest such is needed.

The Pens window is shrinking. Malkin will be 31 and Crosby 30 this Summer. Murray is a nice block to build around for the next decade but Letang is 30 now and Kessel will be by the start of the season. IMO the window is 3-4 years tops.
Crosby has already said that the three peat is very important to him. Malkin talks about being the only Russian born player in NHL history to win 4 cups.
I think they have one more in them.
I also believe that the Pens will get that 6th cup before the Steelers win another Lombardi.

Which ever team reaches 7 first will be a time for celebration.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:26 pm 

I have to admit, I'm pretty damn lucky as far as my lifetime of sports goes. 2 world Series wins, 5 Stanley Cups and 6 Super Bowls. I've seen the "Great One" in Forbes & 3 Rivers as well as"Pops, Maz, Sangy, Scoops & the Cobra and a shit ton of others, we are family. I've seen Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Jagr and a shit ton of others. I've seen the 70's Steelers, nuff said, too many to name. Hell,we won the World Series and Super Bowl the year I graduated high school. The city of Champions, how awesome is that.

I'll never see another World Series, I'm positive of that. This business first shit-bag owner will never give up his "money train". If we never win another game in any sport I'm good!!! I should be good, right?

But then, why I am I so greedy? Why do I want more? I tell everybody that will listen, I want to be the one and only fan, ever, to live through my team winning 10 Super Bowls. I think it can be done...........And I doubt I'm gonna live past the mid 80's. I got this!!!

Steelers, first to ten.......One for both thumbs, bitches!!! The way its look'in, I'll be able to fire up a big ole bowl of medical "bud" too, when it happens..................

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:08 am 

If the mortgage depended on it, I would pick the Pens.

The Penguins will do what it takes to win.
The Steelers will only do it the Steelers way.
The Pirates will only do what's good for Nutting's wallet.

As for the coaching, Sully's coaching group is far more professional than Tomlin's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:35 am 

JackLambert58 wrote:
If the mortgage depended on it, I would pick the Pens.

The Penguins will do what it takes to win.
The Steelers will only do it the Steelers way.
The Pirates will only do what's good for Nutting's wallet.

As for the coaching, Sully's coaching group is far more professional than Tomlin's.

Drop the Mike....

JL58 just summed up the climate of Pittsburgh Pro Sports during my entire adult life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:35 am 

Agree on the management philosophy end, but it is REALLY HARD to win a Stanley Cup. There's a reason nobody had done it back to back in two decades. That said, until Brady and Bill are out of New England, the Steelers have a dragon to slay that doesn't really exist for the Penguins, unless you want to include the Washington Generals...er Crapitals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm 

Ice wrote:
Agree on the management philosophy end, but it is REALLY HARD to win a Stanley Cup. There's a reason nobody had done it back to back in two decades. That said, until Brady and Bill are out of New England, the Steelers have a dragon to slay that doesn't really exist for the Penguins, unless you want to include the Washington Generals...er Crapitals.

Because the Pens are the Patriots?

Tampa had the choke sunk in last year and the Pens wiggled out of it. Add in an improved Ottawa squad and a young up and coming Columbus squad. There isn't an equal to the Pens right now(maybe Chicago) but there are a lot of good teams in the East.