It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who gets SEVEN titles first...Steelers or Pens?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:05 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Lets say you could compare the NHL to MLB. What do you think the likelihood that Pirates ownership would spend to the ceiling of a salary cap? If Bob owned the Penguins the payroll would get a 30% haircut.

can u imagine if he owned pens and steelers too...pens been sold years ago..steelers would suck ass cheapo team too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:42 pm 

bam morris wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Lets say you could compare the NHL to MLB. What do you think the likelihood that Pirates ownership would spend to the ceiling of a salary cap? If Bob owned the Penguins the payroll would get a 30% haircut.

can u imagine if he owned pens and steelers too...pens been sold years ago..steelers would suck ass cheapo team too.

Yeah, but he'd be laughing to the bank thrice...cause all the saps would still be burning up those turnstiles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:46 pm 

bam morris wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

It would most likely be Crosby(to fill seats) and a bunch of middling talent. No Malkin, no Letang, no Kessel. The cup cabinet would be sitting at two.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:55 pm 

That's a sobering reminder as to why I'm not a hardcore Pirates baseball fan, Frac.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:52 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:
The Pirates will only do what's good for Nutting's wallet.

I loved Mark Madden's quote that ... "Pirates fans should stand outside PNC Bank and cheer 'Yay Nutting's wallet' !"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 am 

Nick79 wrote:
JackLambert58 wrote:

I loved Mark Madden's quote that ... "Pirates fans should stand outside PNC Bank and cheer 'Yay Nutting's wallet' !"

When I took over starting Pirate game threads from shamtown, I ended each opening post with the old chant "BEAT 'EM BUCS!" as I like much better than the current "LET'S GO BUCS!" which was ripped off from the Mets. This season, I have replaced "BEAT 'EM BUCS!" with the hashtag #GONUTTINGSWALLET for two reasons:

1. The current Bucs aren't worthy of the old "BEAT 'EM BUCS!" chant from the days of Clemente, Stargell, Parker, etc. Maybe only McCutchen.
2. The Pirates will only do what's good for Nutting's wallet.

To answer Ice, the Pirates were my first sports love, even before the Steelers. The Penguins weren't even on my radar in 1970. Actually hockey wasn't on my radar until I moved back to Rhode Island in 1972. So, while I am disgusted at the current Bucs and Nutting, I will always a Pirates fan and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:45 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
JackLambert58 wrote:

that be awesome..when next salary purge happens soon..cutch-cole whom ever..be great if fans showed up in force with we love nottings wallet! and $$$ signs! cheering wildly that bucs are number 1 in financial flexability!! :lol: would definitely be mlb net and espn worthy news!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:57 pm 

SteelPro wrote:

I wonder if Rooney or Lemieux owned the Pirates, would they spend like the Cubs? I am not sure they would. A cap/floor would eliminate the situation entirely. Until that happens I will never get into this team or MLB again because it's a joke.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:54 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

I wonder if Rooney or Lemieux owned the Pirates, would they spend like the Cubs? I am not sure they would. A cap/floor would eliminate the situation entirely. Until that happens I will never get into this team or MLB again because it's a joke.

They would spend better than Nutting because they are both interested in winning. I would imagine they'd both fire Neal Huntington for being timid and for his dismal drafts. Maybe either one would try to engineer a better TV deal that what's already in place. You've got a great sports town in Pittsburgh, and this is the best they could do?

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/pittsburg ... s-tv-deal/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:38 am 

JackLambert58 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

They would spend better than Nutting because they are both interested in winning. I would imagine they'd both fire Neal Huntington for being timid and for his dismal drafts. Maybe either one would try to engineer a better TV deal that what's already in place. You've got a great sports town in Pittsburgh, and this is the best they could do?

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/pittsburg ... s-tv-deal/

The question I posed was would they spend as much as the Cubs? How about the Yankees or the Redsox. I can agree they would spend more but would it be enough to even the playing field like the NFL/NHL is right now? it's all a guess. It's all a mystery just like the Pirates financials are a mystery,. Nobody on this site reads their statements. A cap/floor makes it a moot point.

The Pats own the Steelers, not because they have more financial resources and ability to sign better players (like the Cubs have clearly done with some massive free agent spends)it's because their Owner/Management is ten times better and smarter.

By the way, you can fire NH tomorrow and bring in Cashman and any other GM and you will still be behind the 8-ball. Until he has an owner who will deficit spend or their is a cap we will have the same issues and neither of these things will happen. Fucked up league.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next