It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who gets SEVEN titles first...Steelers or Pens?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:29 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
JackLambert58 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
I wonder if Rooney or Lemieux owned the Pirates, would they spend like the Cubs? I am not sure they would. A cap/floor would eliminate the situation entirely. Until that happens I will never get into this team or MLB again because it's a joke.

They would spend better than Nutting because they are both interested in winning. I would imagine they'd both fire Neal Huntington for being timid and for his dismal drafts. Maybe either one would try to engineer a better TV deal that what's already in place. You've got a great sports town in Pittsburgh, and this is the best they could do?

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/pittsburg ... s-tv-deal/

The question I posed was would they spend as much as the Cubs? How about the Yankees or the Redsox. I can agree they would spend more but would it be enough to even the playing field like the NFL/NHL is right now? it's all a guess. It's all a mystery just like the Pirates financials are a mystery,. Nobody on this site reads their statements. A cap/floor makes it a moot point.

The Pats own the Steelers, not because they have more financial resources and ability to sign better players (like the Cubs have clearly done with some massive free agent spends)it's because their Owner/Management is ten times better and smarter.

By the way, you can fire NH tomorrow and bring in Cashman and any other GM and you will still be behind the 8-ball. Until he has an owner who will deficit spend or their is a cap we will have the same issues and neither of these things will happen. Fucked up league.

The Cardinals don't spend nearly as much as the Cubs and they've historically been a much more successful franchise. The Cubs have been massive spenders for years with little to show for it. They finally got over the hump when their management improved. It wasn't the spending that got them a title. Above a certain point most of the added payroll is just diminishing returns. Baseball economics are not as flawed as people like you make them out to be. The sports has many salary cost controls that are actually pretty good. A cap is not the only way to level the playing field and keep salaries manageable for the sport. Despite this I would still like to see a hard salary cap. Not because I feel it would actually benefit the Pirates much. I honestly don't think it would. But it would remove an excuse from the front office. And it would be eye opening to see them year after year staying at the floor.

Post subject: Re: Who gets SEVEN titles first...Steelers or Pens?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:17 pm 

I agree that a cap would put the onus on management to win or lose - where it should be for every team sport. With the no cap, the players/agents have too much control and they will always follow the money which hurts many teams like the Pirates.

I totally disagree that it wouldn't help the Pirates or similar teams.