It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game 81: Pirates vs. Giants
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:38 am 

At PNC Park
Game time: 7:05PM ET
Probable starters:
SF: Matt Moore (3-8, 6.04 ERA)
PIT: Chad "Five-Inning" Kuhl (2-6, 5.58 ERA)

Quote:
Pirates right-hander Chad Kuhl hasn't recorded an out in the sixth since April 18. It's been a similar story for Giants left-hander Matt Moore, who hasn't made it to the sixth in three of his last five starts. The two pitchers will try to pitch deeper into the game Saturday when the Pirates host the Giants at PNC Park.

Kuhl has only completed six innings in two of his 15 starts. He pitched into the sixth in his last start against St. Louis on Sunday, while matching a season high in strikeouts with six. But he faltered in the sixth, surrendering a home run and a double to end his night. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle, though, was still pleased with his performance.

"There was a lot of good to hunt," Hurdle said after the game. "I thought he made some improvements tonight, thought he made better pitches. I thought he showed some growth."

Moore, meanwhile, has completed at least six innings in eight of his 16 starts, but he's been inconsistent. He allowed eight runs on 11 hits in three innings in a June 15 start against the Rockies, then rebounded in his next start on June 20 to pitch seven innings against the Braves. But he coughed up five runs on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings in his latest start Sunday against the Mets. His 6.04 ERA is the highest among qualifying National League pitchers.

"I think right now we're better off pitching him," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "He was so good in Atlanta. It's really, I think, important to keep him going. ... There's no health issues involved. I think he's really close. I do."

Things to know about this game

• David Freese is expected to return to the lineup after taking two scheduled off-days, though he pinch-hit and walked in the eighth inning Friday. He's slashing .185/.333/.204 with one extra-base hit in his last 17 games.

• Entering Friday, Giants pitchers had 44 quality starts this season, which were tied for second in the Majors with the Red Sox and Cardinals behind the Nationals (51). Thirty-five of those starts came with Madison Bumgarner on the disabled list.

• Pirates left-hander Tony Watson has experienced an increase in the velocity on his sinker as of late. He threw his sinker at an average of 92.2 mph in April and 92.6 in May. But this week, the average velocity of his sinker has been 94.3 mph. Watson's sinker reached 95 mph six times in the past week, the only time this season he's touched 95 mph.

"It feels like it's coming out good," Watson said. "I feel like I'm in tune with my mechanics. I think there's a little bit of life through the zone with it. I don't look at that stuff, but hitters' swings tell me. I'm in a good spot."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201706302 ... _pk=491318

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

If you can believe it, after this game, we're at the half point of the season.

Post subject: Re: Game 81: Pirates vs. Giants
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:28 pm 

kuhl pitched well..tied up..bullpen game!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:15 pm 

The Pirates are the perfect slump-busters for the up-to-now woefully bad Giants --- Bucs had bases loaded 3 times today, received 10 walks from SF pitchers, stranded 15 baserunners, and turned all that into 1 run in 11 innings. :shock:

Yeah, that's a big L, Buccos . . . way to build some "momentum" heading into July. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:20 pm 

Why the fuck do you throw 4 balls in the dirt after an 0-2 count?

Unbelievable AWFUL coaching and pitching.