Post subject: Game 86: Pirates at Phillies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:16 am 

At Citizens Bank Park
Game time: 6:05PM ET
Probable starters:
PIT: Chad Kuhl (2-6, 5.26 ERA)
PHI: Jeremy Hellickson (5-5, 4.48 ERA)

Quote:
No Major League stadium is closer to Pirates starter Chad Kuhl's home in Bear, Del., than Citizens Bank Park. For the second time in what will be 31 career starts, he'll get to pitch in the stadium he grew up watching ballgames.

If this homecoming is anything like his last, he'll have much to celebrate. He held the Phillies to two runs in six innings in a 15-2 blowout last September in front of a couple hundred friends and family.

Opposing Kuhl is Jeremy Hellickson, pitching in one of his final few opportunities to raise his trade value before the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline. Hellickson has looked better lately with a 2.79 ERA and .235 opponents' batting average in his last three starts. Before that, his ERA was 4.91 and opposing hitters batted .268.

The improved results have allowed him to pitch deeper into games. He lasted at least six innings in all three of his most recent starts, including a seven-inning outing, his first since his great April. He hadn't gone at least six innings in back-to-back starts since his final two appearances of April.

Things to know

• With the Phils trailing the series 2-1, Philadelphia is not in line for a potential series win. The Phillies haven't taken a series from the Pirates since July 2011. They have, however, split a four-game series three times since then (June 2012, May 2015 and September 2016), with the same opportunity Thursday.

• Pirates rookie Josh Bell sat in the second game of the series, marking his first off-day of the 2017 season. After starting on Wednesday, he tied the Pirates franchise record for most starts by a rookie before the All-Star break since 1982 with Johnny Ray. He currently ranks tied for third in the National League with 84 games played.

• Despite carrying a no-hitter into the sixth inning of his last start, Kuhl recorded a first-pitch strike to a season-low 33.3 percent of hitters he faced. On the other hand, he fought back to get a season-high 11 outs while either behind or even in the count.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201707052 ... _pk=491386

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

Post subject: Re: Game 86: Pirates at Phillies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:43 pm 

The most bizarre play I've seen in a long time plates the first run of the game for the Phillies. Crazy stuff like that makes me love baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:44 pm 

cutch'es turn around is just flat out remarkable. dude is sizzling! and young bell is having another fine night. Polanco 4 for 4? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:05 pm 

We had 'em all the way!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
The most bizarre play I've seen in a long time plates the first run of the game for the Phillies. Crazy stuff like that makes me love baseball.

They just replayed it on MLB Netwok. I'm laughing my ass off watching Josh Bell look at the bat going into the crowd and then the ball goes sailing past him. :lol: Good thing the catcher was a little off on the tgrow!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:14 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

They just replayed it on MLB Netwok. I'm laughing my ass off watching Josh Bell look at the bat going into the crowd and then the ball goes sailing past him. :lol: Good thing the catcher was a little off on the tgrow!

It was actually a perfect throw. He placed it exactly where you want to for a back pick play. Elias Diaz was the only guy in the whole stadium that was aware of the game and wasn't watching that bat. The runner was watching the bat. Bell was watching the bat. Polanco wasn't backing up cause he was watching the bat. The camera guys were following the bat. But Diaz was all over the back pick at 1B. And they would have had him easily too if Bell wasn't mesmerized. Diaz's reward for the heads up play was getting charged with an E2.

For those that haven't seen it...

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/07/06/240 ... the-stands

Best part is the look on Bell's face as the ball soars by him. :lol: :lol: :lol: