It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Malkin named top Russian in NHL history
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 pm 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/who-are-the-top-50-russian-nhl-players-of-all-time

Quote:
1. Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh): Tied with Fedorov and Igor Larionov for most Stanley Cups (three) and could be No. 2 on all-time Russian scoring list by the time he retires.

2. Sergei Fedorov (Detroit, Anaheim, Columbus, Washington): Highest-scoring Russian player of all-time and joins Bobby Clarke as the only players in NHL history to win both the Hart and Selke trophies during the careers. Fedorov is the only player to do it in the same year.

3. Alex Ovechkin (Washington): Easily the greatest Russian NHL goalscorer of all-time, but has yet to get his team out of the second round of the playoffs. Father Time is chasing both him and the Capitals.

4. Pavel Bure (Vancouver, Florida, NY Rangers): Before Ovechkin came along, The Russian Rocket was the most dynamic Russian player ever. Came agonizingly close to winning the Cup with Vancouver, but never did.

5. Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit, Arizona sort of): A magician with the puck, Datsyuk dazzled with his abilities and established himself as one of the greatest two-way players of all-time.

6. Sergei Zubov (NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Dallas): Seems a little high on the list, but that might be because he was one of the more under-appreciated players when he played. One of the game’s great all-time power play quarterbacks.

7. Nikolai Khabibulin (Winnipeg/Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Edmonton): Has played more games (799) than any other Russian goalie and won the Stanley Cup with the Lightning in 2003-04.

8. Alexander Mogilny (Buffalo, Vancouver, New Jersey, Toronto): Helped blaze a trail for other Russian players and posted the fifth-highest single-season goal total with 76 in 1992-93. Should be in the Hall of Fame and probably will be someday.

9. Sergei Gonchar (Washington, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Dallas, Montreal): No Russian defenseman has played more games or scored more goals or points than Gonchar, who won the Cup with the Penguins in 2009.

10. Sergei Bobrovsky (Philadelphia, Columbus): Two-time Vezina Trophy winner has the highest career save percentage among Russians who have played at least 50 NHL games. If he wins a Cup or two along the way, he’ll move up the list.

11. Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta, New Jersey): Exactly a point per game playing the first half of his career during the Dead Puck Era. Could be back in the NHL after next season.

12. Alexei Kovalev (NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Ottawa, Florida): No Russian player has played as many NHL games as Kovalev, who was the first Russian player drafted in the first round. He was loved by fans pretty well everywhere he played.

I'm bored so figured I would post it, and besides, the list includes a number of former Pens. This was published by a Russian sports magazine originally.

Using the lists criteria (NHL production only), I'd still give the nod to Federov over Malkin. The guy was as complete a player as I have ever seen, with the exception of Lemieux. It looks like Ovechkin's reputation in Russia is taking a bit of a hit as well. Gotta love it.

Post subject: Re: Malkin named top Russian in NHL history
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm 

I think they are projecting Malkin's final numbers including cups. As it were to stand right now I would also put Fedorov #1 on the list.
I would also put swap Ovie and Datsyuk. The utter playoff failures in my mind stand out more than his goal totals.

I remember the Cup finals when the Rangers beat Vancouver. If memory serves me properly the Canucks hit like four posts in game 7. Really hated to see the Rangers win that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:56 pm 

Can't be true. Malkin isn't even a top 100 player of all time. List must be bogus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:54 pm 

Fedorov banging young Anna Kournikova clearly puts him over the top.

Malkin needs to up his macking game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:21 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Fedorov banging young Anna Kournikova clearly puts him over the top.

Malkin needs to up his macking game.

Geno's macking game is just fine, far as I can tell...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:34 pm 

Keep calm, I'm score?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:42 pm 

Hopefully Malkin's son Nikita gets his looks from his mom and his game from his dad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:15 pm 

Holy recency bias batman.

You could probably arrange the top 4 in any way, but Fetisov and Larionov not in the top 15 makes this list a fucking joke.

You cannot tell me Khabibulin or Zubov or Bobrosky were any better than those dudes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:01 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Holy recency bias batman.

You could probably arrange the top 4 in any way, but Fetisov and Larionov not in the top 15 makes this list a fucking joke.

You cannot tell me Khabibulin or Zubov or Bobrosky were any better than those dudes.

Larionov and Fetisov were 29 and 32 when they came into the NHL - the list reflects NHL production only and doesn't include international play. Yes, it's a dumb criteria and it hurts both players. However, I do agree that both should be higher up.