It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:27 pm 

steel wrote:
for all the bashing Nutting gets, remember that it was McClatchy that controlled this team for the longest portion of the losing streak the team suffered -- After Nutting took majority control, things began to change, beginning with investing in minor league development, scouting, and investing more heavily in the draft. (under the prior regime, we would avoid drafting the BPA because we were afraid of spending the money to sign him -- Nutting has never shied away from drafting the best players and over-paying them) . He hired great FO people, and has fielded a competitive team in a small market, which is not at all easy to do.

What small market teams haven't been competitive?
The Rays.. they've had some good runs and been to a World Series
The Royals.. they've won a World Series and lost one.
The Indians... nearly won a World Series. Also been a wild card
A's... read Moneyball
Reds... won the NL central twice since 2010
Brewers... more NL division crowns than the Pirates. Made a wild card too.
Rockies... not good last few years but did reach a World Series

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:34 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
I am not the one stating the man has a ton of money, or demanding he deficit spend. All I am saying is that there is no way they can compete with Chicago, or even Washington and LA for that matter. When I say compete, I am talking about payroll, attracting free agents, and trading as well. Let's face it, we are constantly behind the 8-ball but I congratulate The Nut for making money off the system. Good business man.

The Diamondbacks signed Greinke away from the Dodgers with a $200 million contract. The Marlins were able to sign Giancarlo Stanton to $325 million deal. These are teams that Forbes had estimated to have revenues on par or below the Pirates. The Royals were able to trade for Cueto and Zobrist at the trade deadline 2 years ago. Then they won the World Series.

exactly..praising nutting for minor leagues and front office is like praising the hotel manager for having a made bed on my arrival..dudes a cheap ass..get over it..im not crowing to over pay anyone. or to out bid dodgers ..I contend bucs can buy a player or 2 who help the team win instead of being known as a cheap ass bargain basement squad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:37 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
steel wrote:
for all the bashing Nutting gets, remember that it was McClatchy that controlled this team for the longest portion of the losing streak the team suffered -- After Nutting took majority control, things began to change, beginning with investing in minor league development, scouting, and investing more heavily in the draft. (under the prior regime, we would avoid drafting the BPA because we were afraid of spending the money to sign him -- Nutting has never shied away from drafting the best players and over-paying them) . He hired great FO people, and has fielded a competitive team in a small market, which is not at all easy to do.

A's... read Moneyball

marlins. tigers. giants..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:48 pm 

bam morris wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
steel wrote:

A's... read Moneyball

marlins. tigers. giants..

Padres, Blue Jays...

hell, even big market teams haven't been competitive

Cubs sucked for 80+ years until they decided to develop their own young talent

Mets have sucked forever

Yankees haven't done shit lately

I think teams that develop their own talent are the most competitive teams, and that's exactly what the Pirates have begun doing under Nutting's regime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:04 am 

SteelPro wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
I am not the one stating the man has a ton of money, or demanding he deficit spend. All I am saying is that there is no way they can compete with Chicago, or even Washington and LA for that matter. When I say compete, I am talking about payroll, attracting free agents, and trading as well. Let's face it, we are constantly behind the 8-ball but I congratulate The Nut for making money off the system. Good business man.

The Diamondbacks signed Greinke away from the Dodgers with a $200 million contract. The Marlins were able to sign Giancarlo Stanton to $325 million deal. These are teams that Forbes had estimated to have revenues on par or below the Pirates. The Royals were able to trade for Cueto and Zobrist at the trade deadline 2 years ago. Then they won the World Series.

How's that working for them? Both stupid ridiculous deals which makes my ultimate point that this league is desperately in need of a correction- but you keep arguing your point and enjoy those Penguins championships and Steelers wins.....

1,2,3 ...... cue the Steelers and Penguins don't need a cap to win hahahahahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:09 am 

SteelPro wrote:
steel wrote:

A's... read Moneyball

Everyone of those teams has no chance in hell of sustaining any kind of consistent winnung like a good organization can do in a cap league - they will all lose their star players. The life of a small market MLB fan. Wish they would let the small market guys take HGH so we have a better shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:57 am 

No club in the MLB is guaranteed sustained winning regardless of salary cap. The usual suspects who you say benefit - Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers (can't remember them all) - don't have sustained winning.

MLB needs improvement but it isn't the "TOTAL JOKE" which you say it is. In fact if it was so total, you wouldn't give a shit about it and come back here and argue it all the time.

My biggest problem with your argument is that it excuses the Pirates for their failures which should not be blamed completely on the lack of a salary cap. It should be blamed primarily on incompetence and cheapness on the part of the owner. You are right, however, to point out that McClatchey was worse than Nutting, but that's like saying Max Moroff is worse than Mario Mendoza.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:50 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

How's that working for them? Both stupid ridiculous deals which makes my ultimate point that this league is desperately in need of a correction- but you keep arguing your point and enjoy those Penguins championships and Steelers wins.....

1,2,3 ...... cue the Steelers and Penguins don't need a cap to win hahahahahahaha

The Diamondbacks are 56-41, have a 5.5 game lead in the wild card standings, and Greinke is 11-4 with a sub 3.00 ERA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 pm 

exactly..they sign a guy for money..we dump guys for money...all in name of winning. whats really pathetic we did sign guys who produced. byrd; happ ; volquez; morneau..yet don't even try to keep them..wouldn't those guys on squad be helping current rotation now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:29 pm 

Obviously wrote:
No club in the MLB is guaranteed sustained winning regardless of salary cap. The usual suspects who you say benefit - Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers (can't remember them all) - don't have sustained winning.

MLB needs improvement but it isn't the "TOTAL JOKE" which you say it is. In fact if it was so total, you wouldn't give a shit about it and come back here and argue it all the time.

My biggest problem with your argument is that it excuses the Pirates for their failures which should not be blamed completely on the lack of a salary cap. It should be blamed primarily on incompetence and cheapness on the part of the owner. You are right, however, to point out that McClatchey was worse than Nutting, but that's like saying Max Moroff is worse than Mario Mendoza.
p
Not an argument- it's a proven fact. Despite Wins or Losses, The Cubs have an advantage over the Pirates and that makes this league a joke. Good for the Nut finding a Nut.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next