It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Malkin and the 2018 Olympics
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm 

Here is an interesting article about Malkin wanting to play in the upcoming Olympics even though the NHL said no.
https://www.pensburgh.com/2017/7/26/160 ... layers-nhl

Discuss away.

Post subject: Re: Malkin and the 2018 Olympics
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:15 pm 

Russia has underperformed badly at the last 3 Olympic games, so you can't blame Geno for wanting another crack at it. And considering he'll be 35 by the 2022 games, this could very well be his last shot. I understand the reasoning, but I'm still pissed that the NHL isn't letting guys go.

Random semi-related side note - the head coach for South Korea is former Penguin Jim Paek.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Russia has underperformed badly at the last 3 Olympic games, so you can't blame Geno for wanting another crack at it. And considering he'll be 35 by the 2022 games, this could very well be his last shot. I understand the reasoning, but I'm still pissed that the NHL isn't letting guys go.

Random semi-related side note - the head coach for South Korea is former Penguin Jim Paek.

In 2014 the coaches for Russia really did a bad job. Malkin was on the second PP unit which is mind boggling. And they had the bright idea to run the offense through Kovalchuk which is plain stupid.

Personally I hope he doesn't go but if they allow one player from each time to participate maybe give Malkin one last chance at the gold.

Still remember Jimmy Paek scoring in game 6 of the SCF against the Stars!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm 

I beat Jimmy Paek in air hockey once. I was 8 or 9 years old and he let me win, but that's beside the point.

On the original topic - yeah, it definitely looked as though the Russian coaches were favoring the KHL guys on that 2014 team. Really cost them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:38 pm 

Pabst wrote:
I beat Jimmy Paek in air hockey once. I was 8 or 9 years old and he let me win, but that's beside the point.

That might be the single greatest obscure player encounter by a Fury poaster I've ever read on this esteemed website. Awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:23 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Pabst wrote:

In 2014 the coaches for Russia really did a bad job. Malkin was on the second PP unit which is mind boggling. And they had the bright idea to run the offense through Kovalchuk which is plain stupid.

Personally I hope he doesn't go but if they allow one player from each time to participate maybe give Malkin one last chance at the gold.

The other thing to keep in mind is: Malkin never complains about playing second fiddle to Sid but I'm sure he'd like to be the man on a good team, even if it's for a brief tournament. Somehow the Russians haven't forgiven him for bolting for the NHL in secret-- that last Olympics was stunningly stupid for them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Pabst wrote:

The other thing to keep in mind is: Malkin never complains about playing second fiddle to Sid but I'm sure he'd like to be the man on a good team, even if it's for a brief tournament. Somehow the Russians haven't forgiven him for bolting for the NHL in secret-- that last Olympics was stunningly stupid for them.

If the Russian Hockey Federation's intent was to punish Malkin and Ovie for not playing at home then they got what they deserved at the Olympics-a 5th place finish.

Malkin has spoken about being second fiddle and he has said he likes it, mostly because of Sid. We are so lucky that in back to back years we got Geno and Sid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Russia's hockey politicking has caused some major fuck ups on the ice internationally. From not choosing the best players/coaches at the expense of what is seen as national allegiance (reference your Kovalchuk example above).

Until Russia decides to play it's best players they'll always be in that 2nd tier, alongside the US