Post subject: Game 120: Pirates at Brewers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 am 

At Miller Park
Game time: 2:10 PM ET
Probable starters:
PIT: Gerrit Cole (10-8, 3.96 ERA)
TOR: Jimmy Nelson (9-6, 3.72 ERA)

Quote:
The strikeout leaders for the Brewers and Pirates will go head to head to finish a two-game set at Miller Park on Wednesday. Right-hander Jimmy Nelson will take the mound for the Crew, countering Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole, who will make his 25th start of the season.

Milwaukee, winners of three straight, enters play tied with the Cardinals for second place in the National League Central and 1 1/2 games behind the Cubs. Having lost three straight, Pittsburgh is 4 1/2 behind Chicago.

While he leads the Brewers with 14 quality starts, Nelson allowed a career-high nine earned runs on 11 hits and three walks in his last start against the Reds on Friday. Brewers manager Craig Counsell said Nelson mostly just ran into some bad luck.

"He got ahead of hitters and they got a bunch of two-strike hits off what I thought were decent pitches," Counsell said. "Some fastballs up in the zone. He gave up some hits on some executed pitches, and there were a couple of mistakes in there. Then we had a couple of defensive mistakes."

Conversely, Cole tossed a season-high eight innings in his last start and is rolling on the road, going 7-0 in his last seven starts away from PNC Park.

In three starts this season against Milwaukee, Cole has allowed three earned runs over 21 innings to go with 23 strikeouts. In his last outing vs. Milwaukee on July 19, the right-hander struck out a season-high 10 over seven innings of one-run ball.

Things to know about this game

• Pirates catcher Francisco Cervelli did not play on Tuesday after leaving Sunday's game with a left wrist injury. It's the same wrist that he had surgery on last season to remove a broken hamate. Manager Clint Hurdle said Cervelli will likely not be available on Wednesday either.

"We'll use him if we need to use him, but we'd like to stay away from him," Hurdle said. "We felt that a DL option at this time was outside the window of what would make sense. This is an injury he will need to play through. However, this is an opportunity for us to calm it down a little bit."

The Pirates also placed outfielder Gregory Polanco on the 10-day disabled list with a left hamstring injury Tuesday. Catcher Elias Diaz was recalled from Triple-A to provide more depth behind the plate, while Chris Stewart made the start Tuesday.

• Shortstop Orlando Arcia was scratched from the Brewers' lineup on Tuesday with back spasms. Infielder Eric Sogard took his spot in the lineup, batting eighth.

• Through June, Cole had allowed a .310 batting average and .576 slugging percentage on four-seam fastballs, but those numbers have plunged to .235/.296 over seven starts since July 1, according to Statcast. Cole is notching 3.4 strikeouts per game with the four-seamer during this recent stretch, up from 2.1 previously.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201708152 ... _pk=491899

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

Post subject: Re: Game 120: Pirates at Brewers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:22 am 

I see why marte was juicing..dude is a weak ass sister.. 2 home runs. batting like 240 with a slugging % in 300s...pathetic. and whats thje deal with our china doll Polanco? guy cant stay on field. throw in kang and season is a cluster fuck. shame with the way cutch has rebpunded.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm 

Cole is hot garbage.

Makes me laugh when I read or hear that he's an ace, lol. He's the 3rd or 4th best pitcher on the team.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Cole is hot garbage.

Makes me laugh when I read or hear that he's an ace, lol. He's the 3rd or 4th best pitcher on the team.

just a guy! :x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:27 pm 

At Fenway tonight and an currently watching old friend Zack Duke attempt to close for the Cards.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:36 pm 

And he couldn't do it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 am 

It's what I said when we had the trade deadline debates.

We were close because the division sucked, but this team is what it is...a team that will struggle to hit .500...and even in a shitty division, that wasn't going to get it done.

In order to be truly in it, the team was going to have to string together a lot of wins...go on a real couple of months' roll...for more than the 30 or so they actually did. Think about it...we went 20-12...better than any team other than the Dodgers...and STILL couldn't get closer than three games out. Did you really think this team could continue to play above .600 baseball the rest of the way? Because that's likely what it would have taken.

I'm pissed at ownership because they didn't plan for a contingency where they wouldn't have Kang and that they didn't use the trade deadline to try and set themselves up better for 2018.

Not really try for 2017? I could live with that because history has shown deadline deals don't turn a .500 or so team into a contender. But to not even try and set yourself up for the future either? Unconscionable.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 am 

shoulda tried to get jay bruce. and neal walker....Polanco is underachiever and always hurt... marte is semi warm garbage..when they were 3 iout anything was possible.. that was most likely high water mark..
owner doesn't give a rats ass...winning is down the list of what baseball is for!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:28 am 

In the Pirates organization, who can you really depend on? I can give you plenty of names in the Penguins organization. I can give you less names in the Steelers organization, but definitely a few. I can't give you anyone in the Pirates organization. I would say Cutch, but even he has been prone to being unreliable at times. From top to bottom, there's really no one you can rely on.