Post subject: Game 124: Pirates vs. Cardinals
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 am 

At Williamsport Little League Classic
Game time: 7:00PM ET
Probable starters:
STL: Mike Leake (7-11, 3.88 ERA)
PIT: Ivan Nova (10-10, 3.77 ERA)

Quote:
Sunday night, the spotlight will shine on a big moment in a small town. The Cardinals and Pirates will play a Major League game in a Minor League ballpark in front of Little League families. By the time it's all over, Little Leaguers and big leaguers alike will leave with the memory of a baseball lifetime.

Williamsport, Pa.'s historic Bowman Field is set to host the very first MLB Little League Classic between the Pirates and Cardinals on Sunday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN. The game will take place during the annual Little League World Series, which is hosted only a few miles away.

"We all fell in love with the game and started dreaming about playing on a field like this at the age of these kids we're going to go see in Williamsport," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said. "I hope there are some kids that we can encourage and maybe give a different look of the game and create some lifelong baseball fans that might not have been there otherwise."

The day will begin at the Williamsport Regional Airport, where the Bucs and Cards will be welcomed to town by a crowd of Little Leaguers. Rather than heading to a hotel or straight to the ballpark, they'll go to the Little League World Series complex -- and some of them, including Carlos Martinez and Dexter Fowler, will ride with their younger counterparts.

Both clubs will spend the afternoon at the Little League World Series site, meeting players and their families, before taking in a game at Lamade Stadium. It will be a homecoming of sorts for three alumni of the Little League World Series: Cardinals outfielder Randal Grichuk (2003-'04 LLWS with Lamar (Texas) National) and starter Lance Lynn (1999 LLWS with Brownsburg (Ind.)) as well as Pirates infielder Max Moroff ('05 LLWS with Maitland (Fla.)).

"I'm excited. I have always wanted to go back, but obviously we can't because we're still in season," Grichuk said. "It'll bring back a lot of memories."

Then it'll be time for the Bucs and Cards to take the field. They'll do so at Historic Bowman Field, the second-oldest Minor League ballpark now renovated and ready for this event, in front of a crowd of around 2,500 people -- mostly Little League players.

"It's going to be cool, that's for sure," Pirates starter Ivan Nova said. "It's going to be crazy. One thing for sure with kids is you don't know what to expect. Hopefully they'll be rooting for us. That would be special."
Added Cardinals starter Mike Leake: "It'll definitely be an atmosphere that I don't think anybody has really felt. That will be a pretty cool feeling to have screaming kids rather than screaming adults. It will be cool from that aspect."

There's another twist, too. The Pirates and Cardinals will give fans a sneak peek at the Players Weekend gear that will be worn throughout the Majors from Aug. 25-27. They'll wear jerseys with nicknames, not their last names, on the back. They'll swing specially designed bats, lace up flashy cleats and sport colorful caps.

Even in the unique environment with unusual uniforms, the game's significance will be very real. The Cardinals are fighting to keep up with the Cubs in the crowded National League Central race, and the Pirates are trying to avoid falling too far behind.

"Our players know this is a game that counts," Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle said. "There's a lot of different levels we're working through to make sure we go play, we enjoy it the best we can then we go put a good product out on the field and everyone has a good memory to take with them going forward."
Three things to know about this game

• The Cardinals hope to have Fowler back on Sunday after he was out of the starting lineup Saturday due to back stiffness. Fowler is hitting .441/.587/.824 in 11 games since returning from the disabled list.

• Shortstop Jordy Mercer and third baseman David Freese should be back in the Pirates' lineup on Sunday after sitting out Saturday. That will push Josh Harrison back to second base, where he'll be sporting unique cleats as part of the Players Weekend guidelines. Harrison planned to wear white cleats covered -- in a gold Sharpie -- by as many Little Leaguers' signatures as he can fit.

• For Cardinals radio analyst Rick Horton, who will be calling Sunday's game, the trip to Williamsport also offers a trip down memory lane. As a 12-year-old, Horton spent a week there while participating in an overnight baseball camp.

"I didn't have the Little League tournament experience that Grichuk and Lynn had," Horton said. "I have specific memories of the dorms we stayed in. I have little bits of memories about those things, and I'm anxious to see if they come together when we go there."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201708192 ... _pk=491955

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

Post subject: Re: Game 124: Pirates vs. Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 am 

We had 'em all the way!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:23 am 

This was a pretty cool event. These special site games are a great idea... albeit a ripoff of the NHL winter classic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 am 

another win...timely hits and timely outs on cards..maybe bucs can cut lead to 3 again.. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 am 

SteelPro wrote:
This was a pretty cool event. These special site games are a great idea... albeit a ripoff of the NHL winter classic.

Yeah, I enjoyed that. Loved the handshake line at the end.