It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1261
Bucs are rolling and now are legitimate threats to win a weak NL Central. They are only 3 games behind the division leading Brewers and they are healthier now than at any point in the season. And arguably their best player has returned from suspension. They have a lot going for them. Taillon/Cole/Nova make up a solid top 3 on par with the Cubs and Cards and a notch better than the Brewers. Felipe Rivero looks like the best reliever in the division if not the entire NL. The lineup is actually pretty decent. It has been a long time since 1st base has been solidified like it is now. Things are unfolding quite nicely and it has never been more apparent that this is the time to be BOLD AT THE TRADE DEADLINE!!! If ever there was a time that Neal Huntington should grow a pair this is it. He has been a good soldier/yes man for Bob Nutting to this point. And under his watch he had done some really good things. But he doesn't have much term on his contract (Pirates have an option on him for next season) so he needs to get greedy and not worry about future financial flexibility for an organization/owner that might not even reward him further for it. If I were Neal Huntington I'd salivate at the opportunity to put one gigantic exclamation point on my resume. Go add some big pieces. Give this team a shot at a deep playoff run. If that were to happen he'd be almost as coveted as Theo Epstein was. Go make the big moves. And if the owner blocks you from doing that then threaten to squeal on him to the press.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Last edited by SteelPro on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 865
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
^^^ I'll have one of what he said, please ^^^


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2424
Im the opposite. I don't think they're good enough but I don't think there's any one player they can get or position they can upgrade that makes them contenders.

So I try to sell.

I try to trade Cutch. I try to trade Freese. I see what I can get for Rivero.

If I don't get blow away deals then I keep them and maybe consider being a buyer.

But if I can get one or two major league ready potential stars to add to this lineup next year, I do it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1261
fortythree wrote:
Im the opposite. I don't think they're good enough but I don't think there's any one player they can get or position they can upgrade that makes them contenders.

So I try to sell.

I try to trade Cutch. I try to trade Freese. I see what I can get for Rivero.

If I don't get blow away deals then I keep them and maybe consider being a buyer.

But if I can get one or two major league ready potential stars to add to this lineup next year, I do it.


Even if you truly believe that is the best way to go... if you are basically a lame duck GM (or you are a GM that is finishing out term on your own accord so you can move on to greener pastures) why wouldn't you just go for it now? What is the point of building for a future that the owner hasn't guaranteed you to be a part of? And for the record I'm in complete disagreement with you. This is the most winnable the division has been in a long time. I don't expect that to be the case going forward. Cubs will fix their issues, but it will likely take the offseason to do it. Pirates have the pieces to do it this year. Add something significant now and it looks even more attainable.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 1890
I heard Matt Diaz is available.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 865
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
Chicago outlets report the f'ing Cubs going after Yu Darvish as the Rangers begin their fire-sale. In any case Chi probably won't stay put, which means our lying, cheap s.o.b. Pirates owner will be even further exposed as a lying, cheap s.o.b. if he doesn't do whatever it takes to go for the Division Title now . . . :?: :? :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6991
Suwanee88 wrote:
All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.

Why would they not be able to afford it. Bob Nutting has money oozing out of his asshole. There is no cap. Not being able to afford, and not wanting to pay are two different things.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2424
SteelPro wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Im the opposite. I don't think they're good enough but I don't think there's any one player they can get or position they can upgrade that makes them contenders.

So I try to sell.

I try to trade Cutch. I try to trade Freese. I see what I can get for Rivero.

If I don't get blow away deals then I keep them and maybe consider being a buyer.

But if I can get one or two major league ready potential stars to add to this lineup next year, I do it.


Even if you truly believe that is the best way to go... if you are basically a lame duck GM (or you are a GM that is finishing out term on your own accord so you can move on to greener pastures) why wouldn't you just go for it now? What is the point of building for a future that the owner hasn't guaranteed you to be a part of? And for the record I'm in complete disagreement with you. This is the most winnable the division has been in a long time. I don't expect that to be the case going forward. Cubs will fix their issues, but it will likely take the offseason to do it. Pirates have the pieces to do it this year. Add something significant now and it looks even more attainable.


I don't think the division is winnable at all. The Cubs will go all out at the deadline.

But even if it is, and they win it. Does this look like a team at all capable of any kind of post-season run?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23454
Huntington will do nothing.

And they'll use something close to forty-three's rationale to justify it.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10606
Jobus Rum wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.

Why would they not be able to afford it. Bob Nutting has money oozing out of his asshole. There is no cap. Not being able to afford, and not wanting to pay are two different things.

100 percent correct..furthermore there no law your mlb team has to turn any profit.. u can actually lose money! fuck the owner.. if they trade rivero or anyone I'm pissed! upgrade the team asshole!
this division is more winnable then it has been in years..may as well be bucs who try!
theres way to much ball to play to concede champions. dodgers may faulter with injuries. nats too.. a hot team going into tourney can with it all..why cant pirates be the hot team in late September?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
Cubs don't have any mojo this year. They are still celebrating the WS win in their heads. They will continue to be inconsistent no matter who they add. Fuck the NUT man. I have no faith he'll do a damn thing. None!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10606
R S wrote:
Cubs don't have any mojo this year. They are still celebrating the WS win in their heads. They will continue to be inconsistent no matter who they add. Fuck the NUT man. I have no faith he'll do a damn thing. None!

only good thing about the nut is he is very good at staying financially flexable..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 am
Posts: 1154
Gents, my 2 cents. Nutting only wants to win at his deeply discounted price. I imagine that he sleeps on a specially designed cash padded mattress some of you bought for him, resting peacefully each night dreaming thoughts of his next scam/promotion that will remove some more fleece from the sheep. I think Nutting delights in doing his life’s work – parting money from those who only temporarily hold onto it.

I think Nutting was counting on the Cubs rolling the NL Central this year -- his excuse for keeping financial flexibility available for 2018 and beyond, you know. This July run by the Bucs actually may ruin his short-run plans to dump Cutch/Cole/fill-in-the-blank. That doesn't mean he's going to repent and open up that wallet. I expect a minor deal or two for a relief pitcher or two, if that.

As for Neal the shill, he won't squeal. He's well paid to say what he's told to say, much like the other shills on TV. Neal is a co conspirator benefiting from Nutting's reputation. When NH wins he's a genius overcoming all odds. When NH loses it's because he wasn't competing on a level playing field. NH is like a bench player who flashes brilliance for a few weeks. He makes you think he's an every day all star until he gets exposed. I don't think NH wants to get exposed by working elsewhere for a real owner because then NH would own that failure. Better that he just remain grateful to ply his trade, such as it is, for the Nut.

BTW, what message will be driven home should the Pirates somehow navigate these treacherous waters well enough to win this watered down division – you guessed it – you don’t have to spend $ to win. That will license even more financial inflexibility going forward. No gents enjoy version 2.0 of the Montreal Expos before they moved to DC. Maybe some year they can have their 1994 and hope a strike doesn't ruin it before they win their title.

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdR4JAyyB7g
At least the Cleveland owner was better looking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10606
well put bling..sad but true..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4637
would love to see us add another JA Happ/Marlon Byrd type guys this year - no reason to give away top players/prospects for a couple pieces -

I highly doubt we become a seller this year, though it was possibly looking that way only a few weeks ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Posts: 1757
Great stuff, gents.

Marte not being available for the postseason really fucks things up in my mind, even if you add big time pieces at 3B and pitcher. With those pieces and Marte I think they could legit contend. Without Marte I just don't see it.

Regardless I will enjoy the run. And yes, Bling, I will attend games while The Nut fleeces me and sleeps like a baby on his mattress made of money.

_________________
Get well soon, Matt Murray


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23454
Devil's advocate article...the trade deadline is overrated anyway.

Of all the trades Neal has made, only Hall and Nova panned out to the tune of around 2 WAR added.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/8171-2/

Going for value relievers is the Pirates' best shot, IMO.

Kang being a fuck up really killed this team's chances this year.

Trade deadline deal isn't out there that will turn the team into an October world beater.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6991
Jeemie wrote:
Devil's advocate article...the trade deadline is overrated anyway.

Of all the trades Neal has made, only Hall and Nova panned out to the tune of around 2 WAR added.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/8171-2/

Going for value relievers is the Pirates' best shot, IMO.

Kang being a fuck up really killed this team's chances this year.

Trade deadline deal isn't out there that will turn the team into an October world beater.

Bob Nutting approves this message... :lol:

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
Jobus Rum wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.

Why would they not be able to afford it. Bob Nutting has money oozing out of his asshole. There is no cap. Not being able to afford, and not wanting to pay are two different things.

You know the numbers? You've seen the P&L? Please share.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
bam morris wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.

Why would they not be able to afford it. Bob Nutting has money oozing out of his asshole. There is no cap. Not being able to afford, and not wanting to pay are two different things.

100 percent correct..furthermore there no law your mlb team has to turn any profit.. u can actually lose money! fuck the owner.. if they trade rivero or anyone I'm pissed! upgrade the team asshole!
this division is more winnable then it has been in years..may as well be bucs who try!
theres way to much ball to play to concede champions. dodgers may faulter with injuries. nats too.. a hot team going into tourney can with it all..why cant pirates be the hot team in late September?

Most guys who have money and make a lot of money don't think like this - that's how they made their money. I hope The Nut makes a ton of money - it's hilarious joke of a league. Just wait to see what the Cubs do - I am guessing their payroll will be laughable after their moves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
Bling Collector Ben wrote:
Gents, my 2 cents. Nutting only wants to win at his deeply discounted price. I imagine that he sleeps on a specially designed cash padded mattress some of you bought for him, resting peacefully each night dreaming thoughts of his next scam/promotion that will remove some more fleece from the sheep. I think Nutting delights in doing his life’s work – parting money from those who only temporarily hold onto it.

I think Nutting was counting on the Cubs rolling the NL Central this year -- his excuse for keeping financial flexibility available for 2018 and beyond, you know. This July run by the Bucs actually may ruin his short-run plans to dump Cutch/Cole/fill-in-the-blank. That doesn't mean he's going to repent and open up that wallet. I expect a minor deal or two for a relief pitcher or two, if that.

As for Neal the shill, he won't squeal. He's well paid to say what he's told to say, much like the other shills on TV. Neal is a co conspirator benefiting from Nutting's reputation. When NH wins he's a genius overcoming all odds. When NH loses it's because he wasn't competing on a level playing field. NH is like a bench player who flashes brilliance for a few weeks. He makes you think he's an every day all star until he gets exposed. I don't think NH wants to get exposed by working elsewhere for a real owner because then NH would own that failure. Better that he just remain grateful to ply his trade, such as it is, for the Nut.

BTW, what message will be driven home should the Pirates somehow navigate these treacherous waters well enough to win this watered down division – you guessed it – you don’t have to spend $ to win. That will license even more financial inflexibility going forward. No gents enjoy version 2.0 of the Montreal Expos before they moved to DC. Maybe some year they can have their 1994 and hope a strike doesn't ruin it before they win their title.

Sounds like a smart guy to me - playing the hand MLB dealt him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
Y-Town Steel wrote:
Great stuff, gents.

Marte not being available for the postseason really fucks things up in my mind, even if you add big time pieces at 3B and pitcher. With those pieces and Marte I think they could legit contend. Without Marte I just don't see it.

Regardless I will enjoy the run. And yes, Bling, I will attend games while The Nut fleeces me and sleeps like a baby on his mattress made of money.

Totally forgot about this - stupid fucking rule. You suspend a guy for 80 games and then suspend him again - fuck MLB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23454
Jobus Rum wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Devil's advocate article...the trade deadline is overrated anyway.

Of all the trades Neal has made, only Hall and Nova panned out to the tune of around 2 WAR added.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/8171-2/

Going for value relievers is the Pirates' best shot, IMO.

Kang being a fuck up really killed this team's chances this year.

Trade deadline deal isn't out there that will turn the team into an October world beater.

Bob Nutting approves this message... :lol:


I'm sure he does.

My problem with Nutting is what he does in the offseason, not at the trade deadline.

And I'm a big believer that you are what your record says you are, especially given enough of a sample size.

And our record says we're around a .500 team.

We could probably do something to enhance our odds of winning a weak division, but we will not find the players to transform us into October world beaters at the deadline.

So we should go for it, but we should keep 2018 in mind too.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1261
Suwanee88 wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.

Why would they not be able to afford it. Bob Nutting has money oozing out of his asshole. There is no cap. Not being able to afford, and not wanting to pay are two different things.

You know the numbers? You've seen the P&L? Please share.


I'll say ditto. You know the numbers? You've seen the P&L? Please share.

This is what we know. We know when deadspin leaked the books from a decade ago the Bucs were booking a profit of roughly $15 million per year. We also know from past history (both by their actions and what they have stated) the Pirates budget their payroll to allow for about $10 million in added payroll during the season. We also know this year the Pirates have some added room because they budgeted for Jung Ho Kang but didn't have to pay him and also budgeted for Starling Marte and didn't have to pay him for half of a season while he was suspended. Huntington is on the record as saying he'd use that cash to help the team

Quote:
The Pirates plan to use the roughly $5.3 million in payroll savings to augment their roster, general manager Neal Huntington said Sunday.

“As soon as that option becomes available, we’ll gladly pour the money back into the club,” Huntington said. “April trades are essentially nonexistent. May trades are hard to come by.”


Of course he said that months ago at the beginning of the season. If he knew the Pirates would only be 2 game out of first in late July would he still have said it? The bottom line is the Pirates have significant budget surplus left over for this season. They could afford any rental available, and even if players with term shouldn't be out of the question. You could always buy a guy like Josh Donaldson for the stretch run and then flip him again in the offseason if paying him $17 million salary next year in unpalatable. Or you keep Donaldson and trade Cutch. Or better yet for one year maybe you just extend a little extra on that payroll and keep them both. If ever there was a time to push the chips into the center of the table it is this year and next. Pirates are nearing an end of their TV deal. It expires in 2019. Goosing the ratings now would be helpful because I'm sure the negotiations are about to begin if they haven't already.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Last edited by SteelPro on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group