steelerfury.com
http://www.steelerfury.com/forum/

Charlie Morton
http://www.steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9329
Page 1 of 2

Author:  steel [ Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Charlie Morton

Having quite a nice season, and quite a nice post-season.

I wonder where Nate McLouth is now?

Author:  bam morris [ Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

unreal..he sucked so bad ! :?

Author:  Suwanee88 [ Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

One of my biggest complaints with NH is his obsession with trying to develop young pitchers. Most pitchers have to go through a lot of ups/downs before they mature.

Much rather draft young hitters and trade for more developed pitchers or renovation projects.

Author:  Jeemie [ Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

0 WAR this year.

That means he was no better than the average pitcher.

Author:  SteelPro [ Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Man, are we going to rehash this again? Not sure why it is relevant that Charlie Morton had one nice season two years after the Pirates unloaded him. The fact is the Pirates paid Morton $20 million in his tenure with the team. He was decent in 2011 and gave them a good half of a season in 2013. The rest of the time he was replacement level pitcher for them. So let's ignore the fact the Pirates traded what was a very good centerfielder at the time. $20 million for the production the Pirates got from Morton is pretty much....meh. Wasn't terrible and wasn't great. The McClouth trade still looks like a C grade to me.

As for why the Pirates chase young pitchers, statistically age 26 is the most productive age for pitchers (at least starting pitchers). At that age 10.5% of Starting Pitchers post 2.0 WAR or better. By age 29 only 7.8% are getting to 2.0 WAR. At age 30 it drops to 6.9%. Only 4.4% of pitchers age 32 are reaching 2.0 WAR.

And finally, Morton was not replacement level this season. In fact, this was his career year.

Author:  Suwanee88 [ Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

SteelPro wrote:
Man, are we going to rehash this again? Not sure why it is relevant that Charlie Morton had one nice season two years after the Pirates unloaded him. The fact is the Pirates paid Morton $20 million in his tenure with the team. He was decent in 2011 and gave them a good half of a season in 2013. The rest of the time he was replacement level pitcher for them. So let's ignore the fact the Pirates traded what was a very good centerfielder at the time. $20 million for the production the Pirates got from Morton is pretty much....meh. Wasn't terrible and wasn't great. The McClouth trade still looks like a C grade to me.

As for why the Pirates chase young pitchers, statistically age 26 is the most productive age for pitchers (at least starting pitchers). At that age 10.5% of Starting Pitchers post 2.0 WAR or better. By age 29 only 7.8% are getting to 2.0 WAR. At age 30 it drops to 6.9%. Only 4.4% of pitchers age 32 are reaching 2.0 WAR.

And finally, Morton was not replacement level this season. In fact, this was his career year.


Interesting stats - what is your source?

Author:  bam morris [ Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

they also have frankie lariano... :lol:

Author:  SteelPro [ Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Man, are we going to rehash this again? Not sure why it is relevant that Charlie Morton had one nice season two years after the Pirates unloaded him. The fact is the Pirates paid Morton $20 million in his tenure with the team. He was decent in 2011 and gave them a good half of a season in 2013. The rest of the time he was replacement level pitcher for them. So let's ignore the fact the Pirates traded what was a very good centerfielder at the time. $20 million for the production the Pirates got from Morton is pretty much....meh. Wasn't terrible and wasn't great. The McClouth trade still looks like a C grade to me.

As for why the Pirates chase young pitchers, statistically age 26 is the most productive age for pitchers (at least starting pitchers). At that age 10.5% of Starting Pitchers post 2.0 WAR or better. By age 29 only 7.8% are getting to 2.0 WAR. At age 30 it drops to 6.9%. Only 4.4% of pitchers age 32 are reaching 2.0 WAR.

And finally, Morton was not replacement level this season. In fact, this was his career year.


Interesting stats - what is your source?


https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html

"For starting pitchers, the golden years come earlier. The greatest number of starting pitchers worth 2.0 WAR or more congregates around 25 and 26, which represent more than 10 percent of the starters who have been that valuable since 1984. The performance of pitchers at age 24 and 27-29 has been close enough to that peak to suggest a view of a starting pitcher’s prime as running from the ages of 24-29."

I think a big mistake by the Pirates (and teams like them) is they aren't extracting enough value from young pitchers when they have them. They need to take the kid gloves off and use them. Why conserve innings and worry about the long term health of the arms of these guys when you know they aren't going to be with you years down the road? Grind them up when you have them. Don't leave anything in the tank for other teams.

Author:  bam morris [ Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

you guys miss the damn point...we got david whitehead and saved a bunch of money.. financial flexability rocks!

Author:  Jeemie [ Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Career year for Morton is not saying much.

Author:  Obviously [ Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Fuckin' steel. Don't hear a word from him the entire shit Bucs season. Then comes here to carp about Charlie fuckin' Morton with Houston. :lol: :lol:

Author:  Obviously [ Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

By the way, fuck Morton and fuck Tony Watson while you're at it. Fuckers didn't do shit in Pittsburgh but go on to contribute for other teams. Fuck them.

Author:  Jeemie [ Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Obviously wrote:
Fuckin' steel. Don't hear a word from him the entire shit Bucs season. Then comes here to carp about Charlie fuckin' Morton with Houston. :lol: :lol:


But it was The Greatest Trade in Pirates History.

If not the Greatest Trade in Major League History.

Author:  Suwanee88 [ Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

I dont remember this guy throwing 99

Author:  Obviously [ Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Todd Frazier just gave us a reminder of Charlie Morton's time in Pittsburgh. That's the Chaz we all knew and hated.

Author:  Steel Drummer [ Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Sorry Charlie.

Author:  Jobus Rum [ Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Suwanee88 wrote:
I dont remember this guy throwing 99

Charlie Bucket is throwing 99? :shock:
Chad Kuhl throwing 97-98...most fucking relievers on a major league roster in the upper 90s???
Just 3-4 seasons ago, you had only a handful of guys in the upper 90s-100... now there are 5-6 on every staff?!? :o
I’m calling bullshit. They’re juicing the radar guns! :lol:

Author:  SteelPro [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Jobus Rum wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
I dont remember this guy throwing 99

Charlie Bucket is throwing 99? :shock:
Chad Kuhl throwing 97-98...most fucking relievers on a major league roster in the upper 90s???
Just 3-4 seasons ago, you had only a handful of guys in the upper 90s-100... now there are 5-6 on every staff?!? :o
I’m calling bullshit. They’re juicing the radar guns! :lol:



I watched a few innings of the game last night. I didn't see Morton hit 99 (not saying there wasn't one, i just didn't catch it). I did see him touch 95 consistently and at least two instances of 96. That was 2 or 3 mph more than where Morton was sitting with the Pirates when he was healthy. Morton was easy to see on the radar gun when he was breaking down with injuries. He would struggle to touch 90 and the next day he would be on the DL. I'm also skeptical of the radar gun readings, though I will say the eyeball test showed me Morton had some good zip his fastball.

Author:  Suwanee88 [ Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

SteelPro wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
I dont remember this guy throwing 99

Charlie Bucket is throwing 99? :shock:
Chad Kuhl throwing 97-98...most fucking relievers on a major league roster in the upper 90s???
Just 3-4 seasons ago, you had only a handful of guys in the upper 90s-100... now there are 5-6 on every staff?!? :o
I’m calling bullshit. They’re juicing the radar guns! :lol:



I watched a few innings of the game last night. I didn't see Morton hit 99 (not saying there wasn't one, i just didn't catch it). I did see him touch 95 consistently and at least two instances of 96. That was 2 or 3 mph more than where Morton was sitting with the Pirates when he was healthy. Morton was easy to see on the radar gun when he was breaking down with injuries. He would struggle to touch 90 and the next day he would be on the DL. I'm also skeptical of the radar gun readings, though I will say the eyeball test showed me Morton had some good zip his fastball.


I don’t even remember him in the mid-90’s. I thought he was always a low 90’s/ high 80’s guy with lots of movement, but he was high 90’s consistently.

Author:  Obviously [ Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

If the Astros win tonight, Charlie Bucket will pitch Game 7. Astros are doomed.

Author:  SteelPro [ Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beyond ... l-velocity

Author:  Obviously [ Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Obviously wrote:
If the Astros win tonight, Charlie Bucket will pitch Game 7. Astros are doomed.


Happy to have Charlie make me eat some crow tonight. Please pass the salt and Tobasco sauce.

Author:  steel [ Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

shove that WAR up your asses!!!

CMo pitching his team to the WORLD SERIES

Where the fuck is Nate Fucking Overrated McLouth??? He's fucking NOWHERE

ONE of the greatest trades of ALL TIME

dumping a highly overrated OF when he put up CAREER numbers one year, and the GM was able to obtain 2 MLB starting pitchers and a prospect used for another MLB starting pitcher -- and now, one of those guys just helped his team shut down the Yankees in Game 7.

THAT IS FUCKING AWESOMENESS

Author:  steel [ Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

Jeemie wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Fuckin' steel. Don't hear a word from him the entire shit Bucs season. Then comes here to carp about Charlie fuckin' Morton with Houston. :lol: :lol:


But it was The Greatest Trade in Pirates History.

If not the Greatest Trade in Major League History.


it sure fucking was you fucking 20000+ post jeemie fucking - i have nothing to do all day but post on SteelerFury -- THE BEST FUCKING BASEBALL TRADE OF ALL FUCKING TIME -- EAT IT JEEMS!! (I'll post again after you have replied 14,000 more times)

Author:  Jeemie [ Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Charlie Morton

steel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Fuckin' steel. Don't hear a word from him the entire shit Bucs season. Then comes here to carp about Charlie fuckin' Morton with Houston. :lol: :lol:


But it was The Greatest Trade in Pirates History.

If not the Greatest Trade in Major League History.


it sure fucking was you fucking 20000+ post jeemie fucking - i have nothing to do all day but post on SteelerFury -- THE BEST FUCKING BASEBALL TRADE OF ALL FUCKING TIME -- EAT IT JEEMS!! (I'll post again after you have replied 14,000 more times)


LOL.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/