It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Rangers 10-17-17
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Anyone else catch the stat with the number of players with multipoint games vs the Rangers in their career?

Here's what it was, roughly:

Active players with most career multipoint games vs the Rangers:

Jagr: 29 (20 as a Penguin)
Crosby: 22
Geno: 13
Kessel : 11(6 as a Pen)
Kunitz: 7 (7 as a Pen)
Letang: 6
James Neal: 5 (all as a Pen)

The rest of the league: 2 other players at 5g

The Pen obviously like to take it to the Rangers which is odd because they have blown 3-1 series leads this decade against them in the playoffs.
They mentioned this last night; the Rangers haven't had a coach last longer than five seasons since 1939. Tough gig.

COR-TEN wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Gretzky about a hundred times in his career. Lemieux as well. Both were masters of banking it off the tender.

It was a nice goal but the King blew it. He has to be aware that Crosby is there and even though he was limited to a back hand shot Lundqvist has to cover that side up ALWAYS.
I'll appropriate swiss's I don't know shit about hockey line, and haven't seen nearly as much hockey as you experts, but I've seen a number of those in the past few years. Guys were facing the net, with a clear shot to bounce off the goalie's back. One in particular that I found impressive was one that bounced off the boards behind the net, off the back of the goalie's helmet, and into the net. But that's rare. Crosby's blind shot was other worldly. But then again, Gretzky and Lemieux were other worldly as well.

Hardly an expert.
Not sure if Gretzky invented the shot off the goalies back but he made it a staple.
Honestly I think Crosby has scored dozens of better goals than that one last night. I find a lot of fault with Lundqvist considering he plays so deep in his net.
I'll wager that Crosby practices that kind of shot from time to time. It all seemed so calculated on his part last night.
I give him, Crosby, more credit for when he scored the goal rather than the kind of goal it was.

One other thing, the Pens,IMO are only playing at about 75% of their potential. They NEED a third line center. McKegg is a nice player but he isn't on par with Bonino, Cullen or even Staal(when we won back in 09'). I believe this is holding this team back.
Letang isn't back, yet. Nine months removed he isn't playing that suffocating style he is capable of. Sure his minutes are almost back to norm but he seems to be working the rust off in his own end.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 pm 

Quote:
They mentioned this last night; the Rangers haven't had a coach last longer than five seasons since 1939. Tough gig.

Not sure this is meaningful, or unusual. Bylsma is the only coach in Pens history to coach 5+ consecutive seasons. Eddie Johnston has more games than Bylsma but needed two stints to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 pm 

A lot of times Mario would score on the forehand but be standing below the goal line, but from deep like halfway between the near goal post and boards. If you set up the umbrella it was really hard to account for him because you wouldn’t think someone at that angle could score that easily but Mario was an assassin from that spot.

Plus when the goalie makes a last ditch effort to get to that post a lot of times it would go off the goalie and in. I’m amazed at how good the pros are at scoring from poor angles; Mario was easily one of the best, if not the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:10 pm 

I really only bumped this so the Charlie Morton thread wasn't at the top of Pittsburgh Sports. Makes us look bad.

Sidney Crosby is pretty pretty PRETTY good.

Trade Letang.