It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Coyotes 11-7-17
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm 

Did anyone else noticed that on the 3rd and 4th PP that Sully gave the Schultz the spot with the top PP unit? Letang had that spot the first two PP's. Was that his way of trying something different or was he sending a message?
I thought the first PP was solid but the next three were terrible.

Another good thing-Crosby is third on the team in scoring. Once he gets that part of his game back it will only serve the team better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:03 pm 

Interesting PP observation, Frac. I'd like to think the PP is also fluid at this point in the season, and that Sully is just looking for combinations and buttons to push, and that it's a little early to be "sending messages."

Agree about Sid. He'll go on his tear. The closer to the playoff push it happens, the better. Hot Dog and Geno holding the fort works for now. Guentzel, based on what I'm seeing, will be fine, too. He's doing the little things right. The points will come.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:41 pm 

Ice wrote:
Interesting PP observation, Frac. I'd like to think the PP is also fluid at this point in the season, and that Sully is just looking for combinations and buttons to push, and that it's a little early to be "sending messages."

Agree about Sid. He'll go on his tear. The closer to the playoff push it happens, the better. Hot Dog and Geno holding the fort works for now. Guentzel, based on what I'm seeing, will be fine, too. He's doing the little things right. The points will come.

The PP for the lone D man last night felt like an audition. Everyone is talking about Letang and there is little good being said. I still have trust in him and he deserves to work this out over a long haul.
I think they have their PP set at four positions with the lone one coming down to either Schultz or Letang. Not a bad situation to be in.
Good thing is that the PP is killer on the road.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:53 pm 

That, and the overall play at home is enough to keep them in good striking distance until some of the ES and positional kinks work out, particularly if Jarry can provide quality backup goaltending. With the sheer number of back to backs, it's going to be a more important position this season than previous, and with no Flower, it's also the least proven.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Did anyone else noticed that on the 3rd and 4th PP that Sully gave the Schultz the spot with the top PP unit? Letang had that spot the first two PP's. Was that his way of trying something different or was he sending a message?

Another good thing-Crosby is third on the team in scoring. Once he gets that part of his game back it will only serve the team better.

Sadly I think the Letang PP thing is about perception/politics. "Why isn't highest paid #1Dman on the PP?"

"Because he sucks at it" aren't gonna go over well. Letang to me overthinks because there is too much time/space on the PP. Look at the one goal he scored while on the man advantage...he did it because he shot it right away.

Once Letang starts thinking, things go badly. When he just plays and uses his instincts he's fantastic

Schultz is such a natural PP guy...hard to coach that. Gonchar had it...Lidstrom had it...Fetisov had it...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:37 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Sadly I think the Letang PP thing is about perception/politics. "Why isn't highest paid #1Dman on the PP?"

"Because he sucks at it" aren't gonna go over well. Letang to me overthinks because there is too much time/space on the PP. Look at the one goal he scored while on the man advantage...he did it because he shot it right away.

Once Letang starts thinking, things go badly. When he just plays and uses his instincts he's fantastic

Schultz is such a natural PP guy...hard to coach that. Gonchar had it...Lidstrom had it...Fetisov had it...

I don't think it is just politics. Letang is a great offensive defensemen, but a bad PP defensemen. That might seem counter intuitive, but Letang is great playing like a forward and jumping into the rush. The PP is more a half-court offense if you will. Schultz has a much better one-timer from the point and is more decisive.