It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade w/ Arizona?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:38 pm 

Not what I expected at all.

Leighton for Archibald and McGuire.

Post subject: Re: Trade w/ Arizona?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:44 pm 

This has to be part of one of more to come. I thought that JR had the backup situation shored up. Then again Murray hasn't been anything but average lately.
I'm a bit confused by this one.
And getting rid of Archibald probably means that Hagelin is safe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:51 pm 

I feel like that has more to do with upgrading the draft pick than anything else.

Not sure if that's supposed to be packaged in another deal or what.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:27 pm 

Part 2:

Quote:
TRADE: To #Penguins D Jamie Oleksiak To #Stars 2019 4th RD pick (*conditional) Condition: Dallas will receive the earlier of the two 4th RD picks (PIT & MIN) that the Penguins currently hold.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/943196595608268800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35 pm 

I admittedly haven't watch much (any) of Dallas this year, but other than being a former top draft pick, I'm not sure what Oleksiak brings to the table. This also adds about $300k against the cap. Hopefully JR has more stuff planned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm 

Pabst wrote:
I admittedly haven't watch much (any) of Dallas this year, but other than being a former top draft pick, I'm not sure what Oleksiak brings to the table. This also adds about $300k against the cap. Hopefully JR has more stuff planned.

I don't know much about him either.

But he is 6'7" and 255 pounds. Hoping he can skate and isn't Hal Gill re-incarnated.

-23 in his NHL career over 140 games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:24 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Pabst wrote:

I don't know much about him either.

But he is 6'7" and 255 pounds. Hoping he can skate and isn't Hal Gill re-incarnated.

-23 in his NHL career over 140 games.

I went back and looked at his evaluations coming into the draft. Aside from being huge he skates well for a guy his size and has some skill. Very good agility as well.
I don't recall much about him but he hasn't lived up to his billing.

I know Gill took a lot of grief here but he did help us win a cup. There is something to be said about a huge D man. They take up space and make it hard for guys to work around the net.
We have enough small guys on the blue line and I'm happy to take a chance on a big guy who can make it easier for the Pens tenders out in front.

Still don't know why we went after a backup tender.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:46 pm 

Agreed fractal. Hainsey too, who was so awkward during moments on the ice and literally contributed next to nothing offensively, but he was solid down the stretch and really an integral part once Letang got hurt.

Let’s see what the kid has got.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:57 pm 

I think it's easy to decipher the meaning of these trades. Either Leighton becomes the backup to Murray, which enables Jarry to either be traded or get full work in the AHL. I don't like to count chickens before they hatch with the longevity of Murray's career, but it's obvious to me that Jarry is likely the biggest trade piece from the prospect pool that the Penguins are likely willing to give up. I think it's notable the Penguins got a 4th for a 6th in this one. Or, Leighton is just used as a third or fourth goalie to go to on the team, that trade up is worth Archibald. Unfortunately, Archibald was never given much of a shot to outperform the 8 other players he could have this season. I'm no Archi fan boy either. Everyone else has just been that bad.

I see Oleksiak as everything Reaves should have been. He's a low-risk player given up for minuscule assets who can be benched if he doesn't perform. If you guys PRAISE Reaves and circle jerk all over his "toughness", you should have the same reaction to this trade. Surprisingly, I don't have a problem with it. The Penguins do well with helping defensemen move along in their careers, he can help clear the net, and he can skate well. This is likely a precursor for a Cole trade. If it's not and he struggles, he can be sat behind Ruhwedel. The same can't be said for a guy like Reaves,who was such a "statement" trade for JR that he'll never be benched. The forward position is the identity of this team. JR shit on it with that move.

Last edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:04 pm 

Truth there as well, Hacksaw. Reaves hitting that post last night is the last I need to see of him in a Pens jersey. Not to hate on the guy, but this isn’t a good fit for him. And last night was easily one of his best games of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
I think it's easy to decipher the meaning of these trades. Either Leighton becomes the backup to Murray, which enables Jarry to either be traded or get full work in the AHL. I don't like to count chickens before they hatch with the longevity of Murray's career, but it's obvious to me that Jarry is likely the biggest trade piece from the prospect pool that the Penguins are likely willing to give up. I think it's notable the Penguins got a 4th for a 6th in this one. Or, Leighton is just used as a third or fourth goalie to go to on the team, that trade up is worth Archibald. Unfortunately, Archibald was never given much of a shot to outperform the 8 other players he could have this season. I'm no Archi fan boy either. Everyone else has just been that bad.

I see Oleksiak as everything Reaves should have been. He's a low-risk player given up for minuscule assets who can be benched if he doesn't perform. If you guys PRAISE Reaves and circle jerk all over his "toughness", you should have the same reaction to this trade. Surprisingly, I don't have a problem with it. The Penguins do well with helping defensemen move along in their careers, he can help clear the net, and he can skate well. This is likely a precursor for a Cole trade. If it's not and he struggles, he can be sat behind Ruhwedel. The same can't be said for a guy like Reaves,who was such a "statement" trade for JR that he'll never be benched. The forward position is the identity of this team. JR shit on it with that move.

I don't think you'll see Leighton at the NHL level- he's not at that level anymore. Jarry has earned his NHL spot. I think this is merely to shore up the goaltending in the farm system. Because what happens if MM gets hurt again? You've got Desmith as the NHL backup, which is playing with fire. As many here know, I was a HUGE Archi fan. I think he can be a 3rd line winger and most certainly a better option than Kuhn. Just irritated they gave up on him.

Oleksiak...interesting acquisition. I think this means Cole is as good as gone. I also kinda wonder if the Reaves experiment is over because they are both guys who could be considered a deterrent . Remember that JR isn't afraid to correct his mistake (see Perron) in season

Note that I don't know much about Oleksiak outside of him being a big dude

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:21 pm 

I agree, like I said, he'd just be a body to shuffle.

They need to do more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 pm 

And I don't think Jarry will be traded. Unless it's part of an absolutely HUGE trade, like Duchene

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:39 pm 

Can we even consider Duchene huge anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Can we even consider Duchene huge anymore?

I think Ottawa is a terrible fit for him...they're a trapping team and he's an offensive dynamo .