It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens vs Wings 12-31-17
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 pm 

Looks like Murray is back in net.

Sprong got the call up yesterday and they sent Simon back down. Sullivan was careful with his words about Sprong. Talked about his positive attributes. In the past Sully hasn't shied away from his criticism of Sprong and his weak defense.
I see that Sprong is on the third line. It will be interesting to see if he gets more minutes that Reaves.

Anyway the Pens probably get home tonight in time to miss New Years celebration-not that they have much to celebrate so far.
Penguins projected lineup
Jake Guentzel -- Sidney Crosby -- Patric Hornqvist

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Phil Kessel

Daniel Sprong -- Riley Sheahan -- Conor Sheary

Tom Kuhnhackl -- Carter Rowney -- Ryan Reaves

Brian Dumoulin -- Matt Hunwick

Ian Cole -- Jamie Oleksiak

Olli Maatta -- Frank Corrado

Matt Murray

Tristan Jarry

Scratched: Garret Wilson, Andrey Pedan, Casey DeSmith

Injured: Kris Letang (lower body), Justin Schultz (lower body), Bryan Rust (upper body), Chad Ruhwedel (upper body)

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Wings 12-31-17
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:11 pm 

For fucks sake...0-2.

Great start, then Malkin takes a penalty in the offensive zone. They make the kill but Nyquist beat Murray over the glove(what is new there).
Sloppy change less than a minute into the second and two forwards collide mid ice and Larkin is all alone with Malkin trying to cover for the lack of a defenseman being in position.

To top it off the Pens had a 4 minute PP and I don't think they got a shot on goal. It was comical watching them bumble on the advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:13 pm 

maybe they care more about nfl playoff picture then their game this evening..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 pm 

Came out hard but the PK fizzled that out.

Malkin just cut it in half with a PP goal. Talk about a close call. Still it was a great feed by Kessel and Malkin wired it hard enough to push the tenders glove across the line. Don't see that very often.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:26 pm 

bam morris wrote:
maybe they care more about nfl playoff picture then their game this evening..

Maybe you're onto something!
Lots of the Pens are Steeler fans. Malkin once said that Harrison scared him and the he liked to watch Polamalu because 'he is best on field'.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 pm 

This team is difficult to watch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm 

Hunwick fucking sucks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:19 am 

Shit hockey team talent wise. I’ve been beating this drum since the beginning of November.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:26 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Shit hockey team talent wise. I’ve been beating this drum since the beginning of November.

I know....been worried for awhile that this team will NOT make the playoffs, taking a page from past three Steelers Super Bowl champions, starting with the team coming off two consecutive Super Bowl championships, the 1980 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Season's half over, no sign of this shitty season turning around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm 

Shit team is correct but they don't lack talent. Can't tell me that the core isn't good enough to be in the top four of the conference.
So where does that leave this team?

I don't see any consistentcy from game to game, period to period, shift to shift. They haven't dominated in the OZ like they are capable of. More likely, they enter the OZ make a few passes get off a shot and no one is there to clean up. Then it is out of the OZ and the process has to start over.

And 5 on 5 is so bewildering that I can't for the life of me figure out how they are going to rectify this going ahead.

They haven't gotten dominating performances from their two best players. Crosby, three weeks ago was running at above a point a game, which is good. Then he disappeared after Eberle took out his chin. Since that point he has been LAME.
Malkin has been doing the goal scoring recently but his line has been on the ice for too many goals recently.
Kessel has cooled down as well and I think he is trying to do too much, especially with the puck on his stick.
The Pens need 2 of those 3 to get hot, at the same time. All three at once, perfect.
And secondary scoring has been an issue for a month or so. Sprong showed some potential last night and maybe that is a step in the right direction.

Blow up the fourth line. They don't chip in shit. They might be decent at the PK but they aren't hard to play against. Blow up the fourth line.

And the elephant in the room.
Murray has been average this year. Teams are attacking his glove hand. Last night Nyquist went there on the first goal. Murray should have stopped it.
Too many pucks are getting through Murray as well. His positioning has been terrible recently and he looks like a flopping fish out of water far too often.
His confidence is shot at the moment.

As bad as Letang has been we still need him in case he finds himself. If the team doesn't think he is going to get there then move him.
Schultz has to stay healthy.
Cole is so difficult to watch. One shift he makes a real nice play the next he is out of position or caught pinching. He doesn't have to be special just consistent. He is so up and down that I get motion sickness watching his game.

Hunwick is nothing and it is a shame they can't find someone to replace him.
I'm down with Maata and Dumo.

Oleksiak is interesting. He is much more mobile than his physical stature suggest he should be. He has offensive talents and he will hit. Need to see more of him to really draw an opinion to this point. I think he might fit here.

Did anyone see that line change in the second when the Wings scored their second goal? It was pure Stooges material out there on that one. They were late, then Cole(I think it was him) runs into Malkin and in a flash the Wings have the odd break and get behind the Pens. Where the fuck were the defensemen? They were late and stumbling into their own teammates.

I don't know what Sullivan can do. When your team isn't willing to work hard enough or match the play of their opponents there really isn't much he can do.

They need a shakeup and we all know the easiest way to do that.
Before they pull the trade option I would move Jarry to the first tender for the next 2-4 games. Give Murray a chance to watch and see if Jarry is indeed a future #1 tender.
At least it would be a start to shaking this mess up.