Maatta-Oleksiak
Cole-Schultz
Gonchar-Corrado

10:32 AM - Jan 4, 2018

Yikes...that first paring

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Canes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:24 pm 

Rowney is day to day as well.
That third line isn't very good defensively. It might mean that Guentzel is on the PK which he did for the first time in a long while against Philly.

Good to see Simon getting another chance. Sprong showed his big shot last game. Too bad it wasn't accurate but I expect that to improve. He is also bigger than I remember.
I suspect we see Crosby and Malkin centering the third/fourth lines on occasion again.
I'd like to see Oleksiak get some big minutes to see if he can handle it. So far he is done alright.

Penguins projected lineup
Dominik Simon -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Patric Hornqvist -- Evgeni Malkin -- Phil Kessel

Carl Hagelin -- Jake Guentzel -- Daniel Sprong

Tom Kuhnhackl -- Riley Sheahan -- Ryan Reaves

Matt Hunwick -- Kris Letang

Olli Maatta -- Jamie Oleksiak

Ian Cole -- Justin Schultz

Matt Murray

Tristan Jarry

Scratched: Frank Corrado

Injured: Bryan Rust (upper body), Chad Ruhwedel (upper body), Brian Dumoulin (concussion), Carter Rowney (upper body)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm 

Interesting period.
Started off like a track meet then it morphed into a tight checking affair. Man, do the Canes stick to their man.Nothing called even though there should have been several PP's on both sides.
At the end Kessel gets called on a ticky tack slash away from play and the Pens kill it. Towards the end of the PK Murray saved Letangs ass after 58 took possession of the puck on the short wall in his own end and promptly tossed it across ice where a Cane came swooping in in the high slot and fired point blank on 30. Credit to Murray for coming out of his net to cut the angle. Like the old Murray did not too long ago.

Good jump by the Birdies for most of the period.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 pm 

That was not pretty, Cole.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:13 pm 

Lovely hockey but cole and Murray there. Wonderfully stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 pm 

Sheahan looks like cow dung.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 pm 

If the Pens would match Carolina's effort they would be up a few. The second has been more of what we have seen too often this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm 

Lazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm 

Terrible hockey and they aren’t skating. Just bad all around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 pm 

Where do you even start with that piece of shit period? Before the rush at the end almost 9 full minutes went by without a single shot on net. Oleksiak makes a great pass to Horny ends up being a 2 on 0 and Horny shoots the puck wide?

A nice turnover there by Sid at the end of the period to top off the poop sundae. Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 pm 

Team is shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:21 pm 

..this team stinks like shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 pm 

so much for the feel good philly win. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm 

YES, perhaps I was wrong about the turnaround.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:32 pm 

I was patient in October and November and even last month, but it's officially time to hit the panic button. They are in serious trouble and in danger of missing the playoffs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:16 pm 

I can't believe how they went from playing well in the first to total shit. Well, I can believe because it happens too often this year.

So many problems:
no real third line center and they probably are not going to address it. With Rowney out now they have shit in that regard. I like Guentzel but he isn't the answer at center. In fact he got taken from that spot last night and replaced by double shifting Crosby and Malkin. Rowney is out at least 4 weeks.
Maybe that forces Rutherford's hand since they really don't have the answer in WBS.

This shifting of the lines every night, every period isn't helping with continuity. Then again injuries are catching up and the lack of depth in the bottom six is bad.

Ward commented post game that it wasn't much of a challenge last night. He also said that other tenders in the league have said the same thing to him as well after playing the Pens.

When Crosby slumps like this in the past it has led to coaching changes. Could he(maybe others) be sick of Sullivan already? No way they make that change but if the team is sour on him...WOW!
Could it be Tocchet moving on and Recchi not being capable?

I think the number problem is a lack of focus and effort. How this roster can't score on a consistent basis leads me to believe such.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm 

Good stuff, Fractal. I too am mystified by how poor they look. It’s not just the personnel; the effort is palpably bad.

Some might not agree but I think Sid is as good as a talent evaluator as anyone in the organization and his uninspired play makes me think he saw this shit coming in October. I think he misses the gang and knows that the replacements lack the key things that made this team so great the last few years.

I cannot believe I’m going to say this by I really miss Kunitz, Adams and even Ron Friggin Hainsey. Yeah, for some reason they made this system work. Jake Guentzel looks almost worthless in this offense now. He got hot at the end of last year and all of a sudden he’s supposed to be the fit? Well Sid’s body language tells me he doesn’t really have a lot of confidence in these guys. That doesn’t make it right for him to dog it, but I’ve played hockey my whole life and nothing is more frustrating out on the ice than lack of cohesion, poor passing and guys not being in the correct positions. There is an overall lack of chemistry on this team right now and having world class players like Sid, Phil, Letang and Malkin cannot automatically solve that.

Credit to the Canes last night. That is how you play hockey. Pens should watch that tape and use that as an example of getting your asses beat all night.

And good for Ward for talking a bit of shit, because it’s about the most accurate thing that can be said. This team doesn’t challenge anyone right now. Nobody.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:44 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Good stuff, Fractal. I too am mystified by how poor they look. It’s not just the personnel; the effort is palpably bad.

Some might not agree but I think Sid is as good as a talent evaluator as anyone in the organization and his uninspired play makes me think he saw this shit coming in October. I think he misses the gang and knows that the replacements lack the key things that made this team so great the last few years.

I cannot believe I’m going to say this by I really miss Kunitz, Adams and even Ron Friggin Hainsey. Yeah, for some reason they made this system work. Jake Guentzel looks almost worthless in this offense now. He got hot at the end of last year and all of a sudden he’s supposed to be the fit? Well Sid’s body language tells me he doesn’t really have a lot of confidence in these guys. That doesn’t make it right for him to dog it, but I’ve played hockey my whole life and nothing is more frustrating out on the ice than lack of cohesion, poor passing and guys not being in the correct positions. There is an overall lack of chemistry on this team right now and having world class players like Sid, Phil, Letang and Malkin cannot automatically solve that.

Credit to the Canes last night. That is how you play hockey. Pens should watch that tape and use that as an example of getting your asses beat all night.

And good for Ward for talking a bit of shit, because it’s about the most accurate thing that can be said. This team doesn’t challenge anyone right now. Nobody.

Canes are a legit good hockey team and I had them making the playoffs, but I expected it to be on the back of Darling. Some really good young/fast defenders

Regardless the effort as many said was terribad...there's zero excuse for that. NONE. This team has dug itself a major grave