It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gerrit Cole to the Astros?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm 

Quote:
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale

The Houston #Astros indeed closing in on #Pirates ace Gerritt Cole, as @jonmorosi reports. This could be the deal that finally opens up free-agent starter market.

Quote:
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale

Gerrit Cole and his agents still waiting to be told he's been traded from #Pirates to #Astros. No official call yet

I've all but given up on baseball in general, but figured this was worth sharing.

Post subject: Re: Gerrit Cole to the Astros?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 pm 

Apparently its now official:

Quote:
Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi

Source: #Astros and #Pirates have reached agreement on Gerrit Cole trade. @MLBNetwork @MLB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 pm 

I've seen this now on a couple sites and from some friends.

Funny thing to me is no one mentions, nor asks, what they got back for him. It's just kind of understood that the Pirates got back a giant pile of poo and nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm 

I swear...I don’t know why I bother with this bullshit team...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I've seen this now on a couple sites and from some friends.

Funny thing to me is no one mentions, nor asks, what they got back for him. It's just kind of understood that the Pirates got back a giant pile of poo and nothing else.

I’m sure they got something useful and valuable. Like a ski lift.

For the record it appears the talking heads jumped the gun on this. No deal yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
I swear...I don’t know why I bother with this bullshit team...

I know..i suppose its like u cant help watching train wrecks and rubber necking at an accident..or watching a dude jump off a bridge! :lol: :cry:
it is disgraceful what this owner has done. along with the previous one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 pm 

Cole never measured up to his potential in Pittsburgh. Quite disappointing really.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:54 pm 

Just got a CBS Sports notification that the deal is final. Sorry, didn't take a screenshot - but included a 3B, SP, and two other players.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:54 pm 

Now there’s just been a tweet that says Colin Moran and Joe Musgrove for Cole is the deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:37 pm 

Official: The Pirates have acquired right-handed relief pitcher Michael Feliz, outfielder Jason Martin, third baseman Colin Moran and right-handed starting pitcher Joe Musgrove from the Houston Astros in exchange for Gerrit Cole.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/news/astros ... -264677578

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 pm 

t@NotMrNutting’s Tweet:

How can anyone be pissed off at this trade...we saved enough money to bring in Meatloaf for Fan Jam. You are welcome #BUCN18

https://twitter.com/NotMrNutting/status ... 10881?s=09

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 pm 

Obviously wrote:
t@NotMrNutting’s Tweet:

How can anyone be pissed off at this trade...we saved enough money to bring in Meatloaf for Fan Jam. You are welcome #BUCN18

https://twitter.com/NotMrNutting/status ... 10881?s=09

:lol: :lol:

We need Steel to come here and explain to us ungrateful fans why this is the Second Best Trade of All Time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:07 pm 

so whats the thoughts on our new guys? anyone worthwhile? decent trade? id bout given up on cole being next tom seaver..but still hate losing a no 1 pick.. cole prob wins 20 with astros.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 am 

I actually like Joe Musgrove. He has some upside. But overall this deal sucks. If you are dealing your best pitcher that still has a very reasonable salary and several years of control you better be getting some high end prospects. The pirates made a retooling trade, and that makes little sense for this team. The window is closed. They aren’t good enough. They won’t go for it and they won’t go full on rebuild. So basically we are in purgatory. Another 75 win season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 am 

We'll have someone say that average joe X has some good advanced metric stat numbers where if he does this and that he'll be a great middle reliever and totally worth the trade value! Thus the life of a defender.

In reality, if you want an informed trade opinion, this is Jason Schmidt for ryan vogelsong, Armando rios, and john vander wal.
You're losing out on the best piece, boys, because the pirates are too cheap to pay their man and too incompetent/cheap to give him any supporting cast.

This will be another offseason where the pirates are going to have multiple starting pitching spots vacant (about 15+ years rolling; where are all those wonderful pitching prospects I hear so much about?? fortythree? remember? You promised me like 10 years ago!), so get ready for all the 35+ guys, retreads, and long relievers "getting their shot". This happens every year. It's NOT an organizational strategy, it's trying to run a business as cheaply as possible while also not managing to produce any viable pitching prospects despite trade avenues, multiple high draft picks, and international dollars.
One is intentional; the other incompetence.

Best owner/management team in baseball.

20+ years of sub .500 ball is on the horizon.

See you later, McCutchen. You were a leaderless prick, but at least you tried. I welcome the 25-year-old busted pitching prospect, the 10th ranked prospect of a team with a poor prospect pool , and a high-priced 26-year-old Ty Wiggington utility player equivalent you'll get the Pirates in return.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 am 

SteelPro wrote:
I actually like Joe Musgrove. He has some upside. But overall this deal sucks. If you are dealing your best pitcher that still has a very reasonable salary and several years of control you better be getting some high end prospects. The pirates made a retooling trade, and that makes little sense for this team. The window is closed. They aren’t good enough. They won’t go for it and they won’t go full on rebuild. So basically we are in purgatory. Another 75 win season.

High end prospects? High end, defined by whom or what organization?

Just wondering, how often do these “high end” (#1 ranked?) actually get included in deals? I’ve always wondered this ( I choose not to spend my time following the most fucked up sports league in the history of professional sports).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

High end prospects? High end, defined by whom or what organization?

Just wondering, how often do these “high end” (#1 ranked?) actually get included in deals? I’ve always wondered this ( I choose not to spend my time following the most fucked up sports league in the history of professional sports).

I consider a high end prospect to be a player that has a concensus top 50 prospect ranking by independent industry services. A top 50 prospect is going to be among an organizations top 3 prospects. There are a not lot of comparables here because pitchers of Cole’s ilk (age, talent, low cost, controllable years) rarely get dealt. Recent examples would be Shelby Miller. Atlanta got Dansby Swanson for him. He was the #1 pick in draft the year prior to being dealt and was considered a top 20 prospect at the time. He has struggled in the majors thus far but he is stil just a 23 year old shortstop. Before that you need to go back 5 years to James Shields. Tampa got Wil Myers for him. Myers was also a top 20 prospect and some even rate him as top 10. Tampa got some other significant pieces in that deal too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:25 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
We'll have someone say that average joe X has some good advanced metric stat numbers where if he does this and that he'll be a great middle reliever and totally worth the trade value! Thus the life of a defender.

In reality, if you want an informed trade opinion, this is Jason Schmidt for ryan vogelsong, Armando rios, and john vander wal.
You're losing out on the best piece, boys, because the pirates are too cheap to pay their man and too incompetent/cheap to give him any supporting cast.

This will be another offseason where the pirates are going to have multiple starting pitching spots vacant (about 15+ years rolling; where are all those wonderful pitching prospects I hear so much about?? fortythree? remember? You promised me like 10 years ago!), so get ready for all the 35+ guys, retreads, and long relievers "getting their shot". This happens every year. It's NOT an organizational strategy, it's trying to run a business as cheaply as possible while also not managing to produce any viable pitching prospects despite trade avenues, multiple high draft picks, and international dollars.
One is intentional; the other incompetence.

Best owner/management team in baseball.

20+ years of sub .500 ball is on the horizon.

See you later, McCutchen. You were a leaderless prick, but at least you tried. I welcome the 25-year-old busted pitching prospect, the 10th ranked prospect of a team with a poor prospect pool , and a high-priced 26-year-old Ty Wiggington utility player equivalent you'll get the Pirates in return.

well said...sad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 pm 

Awful trade

Here is a decent write up
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... -for-cole/

I can't do it anymore with this team
These trades actually seem to be intentional sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:29 pm 

I was foolishly hoping that they would deal Cole and mcuxtcheon and get some relevant and top notch prospect to add to the young guys they do have

The got jack shit in this trade ... not even top ten astros prospects

They seem happy to draft and trade for marginal big league talent that will be cheap. They seem to actually believe they can put together a winner from pieces as opposed to actual top line talent.
That or it's Simply nutting marketing 101 ... the constant promise just over the horizon. It's like Bertrand Russell's teapot floating in space

I have done this with them for 45 years now and I can't take it anymore
There is nothing left to like about this team except distant memories

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm 

Musgrove is ok but this rest of this deal sucks.

Who wants to guess opening day attendance at PNC? I'll start at 21,000.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm 

Yinzer Buckeye wrote:

no..opener will be sold out and festive!!!!! bucs will win..
then the shit show will commence!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 am 

Yinzer Buckeye wrote:

Nutting has probably already calculated the minimum attendance he can deal with and still make a profit.

Probably has a wins window figured out that will keep attendance at the levels he needs.

My guess is 70-75 wins ought to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:02 am 

No mlb extra innings this year, perhaps ever.
Although, Cole didn't want to be here after AJ left. Didn't like his supporting cast, blowing up whenever there was a mistake behind him, therefore immature, mentally weak, no leader.

Still, the best owner/management team in baseball should be hung.

From the Clemente Bridge.