It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not Steeler related but Tony Stewart? WTF? Not good
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:11 pm 

The first quote I won't comment on. I don't enough enough.

The second is viewing this from a reasonable person's perspective and assumes that Tony Stewart was and is reasonable. Not a real strong argument when the whole debate is whether he acted reasonably or unreasonable in controlling his car under the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:15 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Don't think so. You're not going to find 12 people who will agree that Stewart should be convicted even though the kid walked out on the track, regardless of whether that's legally relevant or not.

I think you could IF (big big if) you could show Stewart intentionally fish-tailed into him. I think the video maybe shows Stewart correcting AFTER revving to fish-tail.

Stewart's lawyer would claim he was trying to avoid the guy while maintaining control of his car, and that the guy continued coming down leaving Stewart no room to avoid him. I don't know you could convince otherwise me beyond a reasonable doubt.

Stewart might have had a camera on his car which could change everything. It certainly didn't help his cause that he didn't mention trying to avoid the guy (and maybe still hasn't). Although it's always advisable not to say anything.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:17 pm 

I've read he had a GoPro on his car, but can't find a reliable source for that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:26 pm 

After the incident I'm quite sure (although not shown in the video) the Yellow Flag came out. Which in racing terms means slow the fuck down and be prepared for debris and sudden stops. Looked to me like POS was still flying around on that track. Yes driving sprint cars is far different than any other race car. The bigger tire on the outside rear makes the car handle terribly without throttle. However if you are slowed to Yellow Flag speed you should never need to have to throttle the car. What POS did (IMO) was to try and show the young buck up and it terribly tragically back fired on him ending a young man's life. I also agree that the young man Should Not have been cruising the track on foot looking for POS. You wait and get him later.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:27 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
...the whole debate is whether he acted reasonably or unreasonable in controlling his car under the circumstances.

I'm sure he didn't intent to hit him, but if he fish-tailed to intimidate/scare him (which sounds entirely possible) that certainly rises to negligence even if the guy failed to maintain a safe distance.

No idea if there's any criminality/manslaughter here as the victim has contributory negligence. So if dealing with comparative negligence of both parties, NY civil law assigns and proportions damages.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 pm 

Not a car racing fan at all....but devil's advocate.

If Ward's family was going to sue for negligence....and part of the Stewart's defense was that it was too dark to see...Could NASCAR be held liable. I put on events, and always wonder about weird ways people could get hurt and sue my company....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
I hope it results in all NASCAR and CAR RACING events to be permanently banned forever - I would rather watch a marathon of Saved By The Bell than watch any type of car racing event - PERIOD. If they dont ban it - I hope AlQueda targets NASCAR.

Holy shit! That's some major league hate. :lol:

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 pm 

Again, I don't know shit about auto racing, but the news reports I've seen, as background, show a number of clips of these fuckin' idiots running out on the track, throwing shit at each other. If these fuckers aren't seriously suspended when that happens, seems to me that the sport itself bears some responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:02 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Again, I don't know shit about auto racing, but the news reports I've seen, as background, show a number of clips of these fuckin' idiots running out on the track, throwing shit at each other. If these fuckers aren't seriously suspended when that happens, seems to me that the sport itself bears some responsibility.

Other people have said you sign waivers that you DON'T exit the car and go on the track. But where they could be potentially liable, as you indicate, is they don't really police it with heavy suspensions (probably because the confrontations add drama to the sport). Although I think you'd have to show they encourage it, rather than discourage the behavior.

Can't see how NASCAR would be responsible for this guy's idiot negligence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
After the incident I'm quite sure (although not shown in the video) the Yellow Flag came out. Which in racing terms means slow the fuck down and be prepared for debris and sudden stops. Looked to me like POS was still flying around on that track. Yes driving sprint cars is far different than any other race car. The bigger tire on the outside rear makes the car handle terribly without throttle. However if you are slowed to Yellow Flag speed you should never need to have to throttle the car. What POS did (IMO) was to try and show the young buck up and it terribly tragically back fired on him ending a young man's life. I also agree that the young man Should Not have been cruising the track on foot looking for POS. You wait and get him later.

First, let me say my thoughts and prayers go out to the Kevin Ward Jr's family who lost someone they love to a senseless act.

Now I'll give my view fo the situation.

Up until recently I have been going to NASCAR races for years. I never used to be a TV fan, but once you go to a live race it is certainly pretty exciting. Usually went to at least six a year as work required my spouse to take customers and show them the VIP treatment. I have met and even broke bread with quite a few drivers. IMO Tony Stewart is one of the worst. Most drivers are required to hit the VIP tents during the race day and spend quality time with VIP customers and most give at least 20-30 minutes of their time. I have witnessed him give less than 5 minutes many times, ignore giving kids autographs and just being a pompus jerk. Again, I'm not a total one driver fan. I tend to pull for the guys that seem to be really good/nice people. With my own eyes, I've viewed Stewart as not one of the nice guys.

Tony Stewart has long been a hothead that hides behind fame and power. For years he has bullied his way around racetracks knowing that anyone that wants to whip his ass (and most can imo) won't because they know it would hurt their chances of succeeding in a career they love. Tony is a very talented driver. They say he is a better Sprint Car driver than NASCAR. I believe it. We are talking about a man that can weild a car within a few inches of a target at 200 mph. While I don't view racecar drivers as true athletes, I do know they are very skilled at what they do. They get paid well to drive cars that are actually out of control, but control them in the process. Tony is notorious for being very agressive when behind the wheel and making many pay for it, but when someone does the same he calls them idiots and says they don't belong on the track.

I have watched the video of the "accident" and I believe Tony Stewart is very much at fault. While I feel drivers should not go out on the track and for folks that don't follow this type of racing, you must realize that Kevin Ward was doing nothing more than what he had seen many drivers (including Stewart) do dozen if not hundreds of times. The race was under caution (due to Stewart forcing Ward into the wall) at which time the cars are usually traveling at around 30-40mph. In the video it is obvious that Tony Stewart guns his throttle as he goes past Ward which caused the tailend of his car to move up the track towards Ward. Tony 100% knew this would happen imo. It's the whole primiss of how theses cars work/drive on these tracks.

Now, do I think he meant to actually hit the kid? No, at least I want to believe that, but I do think he was very reckless in at least trying to scare him or throw dirt on him or get him to jump back a little (a kin to making someone flinch with a bullying fake punch). IMO Tony Stewarts reckless bullying has finally caught up with him. Unfortunately someone lost their life. I have said many times over the years that Stewart's actions were going to come back to bite him. Maybe this will be it. Sad that a life had to be lost in the process.

Will Tony Stewart get away with this legally? Probably, but I wonder if he'll ever escape the prison in his own mind?

I don't post a lot nor are my posts usually very lengthy, but this is a topic I feel I have some insight on (more than most here, probably). Hope this sheds some light (for those who are looking) onto a tragic tragic story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next