It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Golf thread......
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:56 pm 

Reed in the lead at the Honda, conditions look pretty tough.

Let us know how you made out on the Trackman and what you bought, 876

I had my "idle hands" day last weekend.

Was in Atlanta for my middle daughter's soccer tournament, staying in Marrietta. Saturday was fine but the skies opened up Sat night and the Sunday matches all end up getting cancelled. So we start rolling back to SC when the thought came to me "I think the PGA Superstore in Duluth isn't far from here". 20 minutes later we are in Wonkaville as far as I'm concerned.

She goes off looking for clothes and I go to the club fitting area.....

I need to preface this with that fact that I'm not a "new club" kind of guy. I've got friends who are always showing up with new shit. That's definitely not me. I've had the same TM R7 irons for probably 8 or 9 years, Original R1 driver and 3W. Used to have 3 Vokeys but they have all migrated into my daughter's bag (you understand this if you have kids). Also when I play golf, I don't cuss, carry on, throw clubs, etc. If I'm playing well, great. If I'm playing not so well, still great. I hate when people ruin everyone else's good time by acting like an ass especially when.....dum dum dum....you ain't that good. Point is, my clubs are wearing down, 6 and 7 recently dehozzled during normal play, and they have quite a bit of mileage on them, so I had it in my mind that new equipment is around the corner.

2 weeks ago I had my oldest girl out at the range. I've got about 6 months left where I can still beat her from the mens tees. Definitely needed new clubs to at least go down swinging.....

So back to the PGA Superstore. I tell the guy I don't want to go at this brand specific. Keep handing me stuff you think would be good and we'll go from there. I hit a ton of different brands. Ended up going back to Taylor Made. RS1s. Really nice feel. Added the Gap and a 60.

Since the spending spree was on, I figured lets start hitting the big stick. This ended up far from expectation. Even though I hit the R15 and the D3 a little longer, I ended up getting the Srixon 545. Really great look, great feel. Also got the F45 FW 17 degrees. First time I had even hit a Srixon. When I missed the other drivers (My driver miss is block right), it's jail. Even when I missed the Srixon it was only 15 yards right of target.

Most expensive soccer tournament I've been to....

So I'm all set for the 2015 "campaign", which like I said will likely end with me no longer being able to beat my 14 year old daughter..........and I'll be perfectly fine with that!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm 

Quote:
I need to preface this with that fact that I'm not a "new club" kind of guy. I

You and me both. I get shit that works then stick with it. My irons are Ping i3+ that have been in the bag since 2003. I have an old Ping 61* copper lob wedge that's been in the bag since the 90s. It's kinda become the go to bunker club so I've never replaced it.

3 woods and hybrids are the clubs that he rotated thru as I have struggled to find a 3 wood I like. And I've tried a bunch.

I'm a high spin player, especially with the woods so some clubs that people love I spin off the planet. Ping G25 is a good example. Can't hit it. It's like I'm hitting 230 yard wedges it goes so high. I end up losing distance. Plus I play in the wind a lot.

Current driver is a Nakashima. Most won't recognize the name but serious golfers will. It's a boutique company. Decent presence in California. They make EXCELLENT products. I was fitted for my driver 6 years ago. At the time, it was the first driver that got my spin and launch into the range I was looking for. My driver prior to that was a Titleist 905R. Good stick. But I was spinning this thing at like 3500. Way too high. Nakashima knocked off the spin big time. Yet are expensive though. Heads go for $400 + whatever the cost of the shaft you were fitted for.

And that's the kicker. Some shafts were $75. But that escalates all the way up to a $1,200 Ozik they had. Shaft I fit into was $300 so all in an expensive stuck but damn did it deliver.

Problem today is that I've lost about 6-7 mph off my club head speed from where I was six years ago so I was working too hard to get results with current driver.

Ended up getting fit into a 9* Ping G30 LS (low spin head) with the Tour 80 shaft.

It was the club that have the most consistent numbers. Tried the Titleist D3 with a Diamana WhiteBoard, the Taylor R15, Nike, and Callaway. Ping have me the best numbers. Which works cuz I think Ping makes a quality product.

Club arrives in a couple weeks so crossing fingers the numbers translate to the course.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:28 pm 

After this complete meltdown by Poulter, I'll be very disappointed in 2016 if the American Ryder Cup fans at Hazeltine aren't wearing Honda Classic shirts and carrying signs with pictures of the E*Trade baby from the Shankapotamus commercial.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:08 am 

I too used to be a club ho Superk

Havent purchased a new club in over 4 years now. ( Turned into a player / collector of historical clubs)

Here is my current set of gamers ( 1929 vintage I believe steel was just appearing in the states and these are close to the last set of hickories made in the Walter Hagen line with hickory shafts)

Many call me crazy. Fortunately some think it is pretty cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:27 pm 

Those are awesome!

Have you played rounds with them?

Do you feel comfortable hitting down on the ball??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:44 pm 

Those are really cool.....

They would look very cool in a rectangular lighted display case. I'd try to find a vintage pencil bag to put them in and an old black and white nostalgia golf pic to hang above them. Would look really good in the mancave.

Doral is beast. I can't see anyone but a bomber winning this week.

Adam Scott can go ahead and throw away that long putter.......he'll be just fine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:46 pm 

Don't play with those clubs...they are clearly display items to be showed off in a man cave...next to this classic b and w print from the 1913 US Open:

That's Eddie Lowery at 13 caddying for Frances Ouimet, the one they made the movie about.

Which one is the mashie niblick? Is that the 7?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:22 pm 

Doral is an absolute monster right now.

C'mon Rory, throwing clubs is absolutely ridiculous. You're these juniors idol, and now the little monsters are going to be chucking clubs all over the place. No one wants to see that shit

The entire PGA tour may be petitioning the USGA and R&A to scrap the ban on anchored putters if Adam Scott keeps rolling his short putter the way he is right now. I always thought he was way too athletic to be using that monstrosity.

Maybe I was a week premature on my JB Holmes pick?

I don't think he holds on. I think it comes down to Scott/Bubba/Dustin.

I'm going to say Bubba wins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:49 am 

I have played almost exclusively with original hickory shafted clubs for three years. (Have only broken 4 shafts in that time.)

We get replacement shafts from the USA for $15 so there is no fear in breaking a shaft. With the right preparation before hitting for the first time they are extremely robust.

I have three sets and play them all throughout the year.

I am yet to break par with them, but I have shot even par 72 with hickory. Even finished 3rd in our club championships with them.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Note: Adam Scott looked pretty comfortable with the legal putter. Let's see how that holds up at augusta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:01 pm 

Again really impressive, Aussie........getting around at level par on modern layouts with those things

I used to play in an annual 2-man with a guy who used Maxfli Aussie blades from I believe the late 70's, good player. +1.5

One morning when we were warming up I asked him if I could hit them. 2 out of 4 shots felt like I got my hands sawed off by Pedro Martinez in his prime. And absolute GARBAGE result on the mishits. He did play a modern driver but I was impressed he could move those things consistently.

That "technology" was exponentially more advanced than what Aussie is swinging.

Only blade I ever want to see in my bag is the flat stick......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next