It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: College Sports as we know them are SCREWED. Who agrees?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 am 

I think that if it comes down that schools will be able to pay athletes $5K each per year, most college sports are dead.

Eventually at most D1 schools it might be Football & Basketball (maybe Football or Basketball) and Women's Basketball just to keep up Title IX appearances and all other sports go away.

Probably at some point, it might even be that D1 sports at the highest level will just be the 20-30 very top teams that are willing to pay because to them sports is the purpose they exist for, unsually southern red neck states, the SEC, Big 12 and the like, like Texas, tOSU maybe, 'Bama Football, Kentucky Basketball etc, and the rest will just drop all sports or drop to a D3 or club level if they play at all.

It might go back to what it was 100 years ago, like Pitt in a league with W&J, Geneva and CMU! If they even have any teams. The giant sports factory schools will just be the focus of everything. I realize some people might even like this, but I think it will suck. It won't be "college football" or "college basketball" anymore... I'd hope at least there would be some TV network broacasting the Pitt/Grove City game so I can watch something I care about while the Auburn pros are playing LSU's pros on the main network.

Post subject: Re: College Sports as we know them are SCREWED. Who agrees?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 am 

$5k per player at big-time programs isn't going to hurt much. I think it will lead to a bifurcation in that 20-30 teams will make up a "Super" D1, basically reversing the most of the competitive balance (which is hard to say given a handful of teams have been dominating most of the past decade) gained with the new scholarship rules 20(?) or so years ago.

Most of the other programs don't make money off men's bball and football (if you don't count alumni donations those programs bring) and so can't and won't pay much, if anything.

There could be some interesting issues because of Title IX at the schools that pay. If the offset some of that money to woman's programs by reducing scholarships, then that means they have to chop scholarships in other men's sports which might effectively kill those programs.