It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Call me crazy...but Manziel will be a bust
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

"Oh he'll be a bust all right... In Canton!"

-- Some Browns fan, probably.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:18 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Logan Thomas and maybe mettenberger are going to be the two best QBs from this draft and you can bank it.
Logan Thomas is everything manziel is only bigger, better athletically, and with an NFL arm. He looks ready to be an NFL QB soon.

Logan Thomas has all of the physical tools and none of the mental ones. Athletically he's a cross between Ben and Cam Newton. he just makes really bad decisions, struggles to read defenses, and is woefully inaccurate on way too many of his passes. I can't see him becoming a success in the NFL beyond beating some scrubs playing vanilla defenses in preseason games. Bortles is the top QB from this class by a long way IMO. I could see Mettenberger developing into something down the line. Maybe even Bridgewater.

Seriously, Logan Thomas was a 55% passer in the ACC. You don't fix that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:46 am 

Being coached by Bruce just might help the kid. I'd rather have the QB with the physical tools of Newton/Ben and figure out how to make it work for him. You can't teach that stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 am 

Bortles looks and plays more like Ben than Thomas does imo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:22 am 
We'll see what's happening in October...Leaf looked better then Manning into October...I still favor Bortles to JF...but quite the distance from the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:43 am 

Zivco wrote:
We'll see what's happening in October...Leaf looked better then Manning into October...I still favor Bortles to JF...but quite the distance from the rest.

You're really letting your predictions color your perception.

He looked bad, dude. That doesn't mean he'll end up a bad QB or that you'll end up being wrong.

But he did not look NFL-ready outside of one play in two games (pass from his own 1).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am 
SteelKnife wrote:
You're really letting your predictions color your perception.

He looked bad, dude. That doesn't mean he'll end up a bad QB or that you'll end up being wrong.

But he did not look NFL-ready outside of one play in two games (pass from his own 1).

No...how many rookies are NFL ready game 2 of the preseason in a nationally televised game?

Again, if Jordan or Gordon make a play on catchable balls its an entirely different conversation. One of his throws was a perfect 12 yard out. Another "bad" throw was a tight window where only his WR could get it. There was poise and accuracy on third and fourth down. You have bought into media expectations and criticism...he is going to get his chance eventually...I think he has been excellent with the media in the aftermath. We will see what happens by week 6 or so...

And I never made any sort of prediction on JF except he would be the second QB taken...I said I thought he outplayed Hoyer...and I still do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:15 am 

I don't understand how what actually happened and what you're saying happened differ so wildly.

I'm going to steal these from another article, but:

Missed this because stayed locked on first read. But then...makes a bad throw anyway.

Then...

Tight window, but takes sack instead of making that throw. Not as bad as the previous.

Then...

He grounded this pass.

Then...

Catchable, but significantly behind, for no reason. A QB isn't good simply because he throws a ball that is technically catchable.

Hard to fault him for not completing this pass under pressure, but that kind of wild panicked pass is going to be a pick 6 50% of the time. Threw while running backwards in terror.

Completed pass, but note that, like he always does under pressure, he throws while BACKPEDALING. That's a big no no.

At this point, I 100% agree with what the author of the article wrote:

Quote:
Manziel is unable to handle pressure in the pocket at this stage of his career. He is primarily a first-read thrower whose first instinct is to run when he senses that his first read is covered. His threw plenty of catchable passes, but on the whole his accuracy was severely lacking.

He also doesn't appear to be able to change plays at the line of scrimmage, something that is vitally important against the better defenses in the NFL.

In short, Manziel is a raw rookie and he plays like it. The problem is that the Browns have only Hoyer as a competent option at the quarterback position.

Browns made the right choice in starting Hoyer. Manziel has an ego, and it's a huge risk to his development to put him in a position to definitely fail.

Manziel might still develop. I don't think he will. But he is not good right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 am 
Look, you can pick it to death. It is what it is. You left a few good throws from the article out of your presentation. You can nitpick mechanix to death...he has a strong arm and a quick release most of the time...how many times have we seen BR throw with poor feet? Did BR win the starting job out of camp? Did BR have the national media and every envious as fuck fan(not including you) picking his play to death?

There was no way in hell any CB short of a 3.5 forty gets hands on that ball. And where the fuck was he suppose to throw it? What QB gets a better outcome of that third and 11 call?

How much did that second and 18 throw matter?

Was it his first game on national TV? What's your standard for rookie QBs?

I like the fact he took a hit and bounced up. I like the fact he showed poise in clutch situations. I like the fact he took no shit. I like the fact he didn't turn the ball over. I like the fact he got a TD throw under his belt.

We'll see what happens by mid season. It's a new offense for the entire team...no one looked sharp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next