It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ah the fun of being behind the lines in Philly
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:20 pm 

The schadenfreude in this region of Pennsylvania is something to behold!

Phildelphia fans this week have had to endure:

Andre Iguodala winning the NBA Finals MVP

"The Genius" Chip Kelly being lambasted by sports media around the country for releasing Evan Mathis without any plans to replace him...all because his ego couldn't handle the situation. So now Kelly is going into 2015 with an O-line that has lost 2/5 of its starters, and this line will be charged with (maybe) protecting a QB who has blown out his ACL two consecutive years (and I say maybe because when asked if Bradford would be ready for training camp, Kelly's reply was a slightly exasperated "God, I hope so".)

Kim Timmonen becoming the latest in a long line of former Flyers to hoist the Stanley Cup...with another team (and Brayden Coburn's play was a big part in Tampa getting to the Finals as well)

Finding out that Joel Embid's foot is healing incredibly slowly from his surgery, and there is a great chance he will miss 2015-16, ushering in another year of tanking for draft picks (and for a big man, this foot problem may jeopardize his career)

The Phillies suffering through their worst road trip in 132 years, including two extra inning shutout losses to the Pirates, and capped by a 19-3 shellacking by the Orioles where they allowed eight home runs, and outfielder Jeff Francoeur suffered through a two inning, 48 pitch outing that only lasted as long as it did because the Phillies' bullpen phone was accidentally off the hook, and Ryne Sandberg and his coaching braintrust couldn't figure out how to communicate with people 400 feet away.

I mean, it seriously could not have gotten any worse for Philadelphia sports fans...and conversely, any better for me.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Last edited by Jeemie on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ah the fun of being behind the lines in Philly
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:29 pm 

Oh- and there was also the memorable scene of Chase Utley lambasting pitching coach Bob McClure on the mound for leaving Francoeur in during the bullpen phone fiasco.

Here some video of it:

http://youtu.be/MOVqzy53kfA (can't find a link to allow embedding of this one- it's Utley yelling at McClure)

Waving the White Towel (The Bullpen Phone Fiasco)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:14 pm 

The Sixer thing is just nuts

I have a friend who is a season ticket holder who absolutely lost his mind when they dealt MCW

Who in the world are they looking to draft????

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:45 pm 

superk wrote:
The Sixer thing is just nuts

I have a friend who is a season ticket holder who absolutely lost his mind when they dealt MCW

Who in the world are they looking to draft????

They had Russell in for a workout today.

I think they were all set to take a point guard, but with this Embid thing, who knows?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:02 pm 

I never really hated the Philly teams. Other than the Flyers who I do hate and have been the Pens most intense rival, the rest haven't really been big time rivals of Pittsburgh. Steelers/Eagles rarely meet and I never thought of that as a rivalry. Pirates/Phillies had some juice in the late '70s/early '80s but they aren't in the same division anymore and it was never that intense and Pittsburgh never had an NBA team so hating the Sixers was never on my agenda, in fact I rooted for them to win in those Finals they played in with Dr. J in the '80s. I'm mostly indifferent to most Philly sports.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:46 am 

Nick79 wrote:
I never really hated the Philly teams. Other than the Flyers who I do hate and have been the Pens most intense rival, the rest haven't really been big time rivals of Pittsburgh. Steelers/Eagles rarely meet and I never thought of that as a rivalry. Pirates/Phillies had some juice in the late '70s/early '80s but they aren't in the same division anymore and it was never that intense and Pittsburgh never had an NBA team so hating the Sixers was never on my agenda, in fact I rooted for them to win in those Finals they played in with Dr. J in the '80s. I'm mostly indifferent to most Philly sports.

If you lived here, you'd feel differently.

A lot of Philly fans are like how Beth behaves in the Penguins threads here...x10.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

If you lived here, you'd feel differently.

A lot of Philly fans are like how Beth behaves in the Penguins threads here...x10.

I can see that. It's like with me living in Baltimore, and STILL, even after "inflategate" and all the Pat's BS, I'd still root for the Pats over the Ravens 110% of the time, and people who are Steelers fans outside of Baltimore have a hard time getting it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:48 am 

Philly phans are bipolar front runners. 10/10 enthusiasm/despair 2/10 understanding of what they are watching.

Although I have to admit I did like the pure insanity of the mid 70s Flyer teams. Unsustainable in a league that wanted to be taken seriously but a reflection of the time and place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:28 pm 

Douchenozzle JE

The flyers moves were cap moves.....and timonen is retiring as a Flyer in October, Hextall did him a nice favor, and he'll be back coaching there too.

Coburn sucks, didn't you see him get exposed Tim and time again this playoff year...... I did.

Can't say I'm enjoying the suxers plight, I just don't care. Eagles, who,cares......they jack off to their gold standard trophy. Phillies back to being the losingest franchise ever........don't care. :? :lol:

Please show us your Patriots shrine sometime eh mee