It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boxing/MMA thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 am 

Big fight tomorrow. I think Alvarez by SD.

As for the announced mayweather-maidana 2, won't be as close as the first one. Mayweather adjusted in the second half of the first fight, and should dominate this fight from the beginning. Hoping for a lucky 1 punch KO.

I hope the broner Matthyse rumors are right. I want to see broner get mollywhopped again.

Post subject: Re: Boxing/MMA thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:48 pm 
I'm glad you started this thread Knife.

I agree with you on Alvarez over Lara in a close fight...should be a pretty good one.

I think Maidana vs FM rematch will be much like the first fight. My thinking is the end of the last fight was mostly an endurance thing...and I don't think you can have Maidana better pace himself without losing his "style". So I'll cross my fingers for an early KO but expect to lose a close decision.

I would like to see LM vs AB...I agree with the whipping...and LM is more precise if not quite as active as Maidana...more of a technical humiliation Broner couldn't bullshit about.

Should be a real good go on ESPN 2 tonight. Tureano Johnson vs. Mike Gavronski, 10 rounds, middleweights. I've only seen Gavronski a couple times...not sure on his quality of competition and his hands look low a good bit...but there is power, aggression, and combination punching there...and I'm guessing this is a war as long as it lasts. I'll go with Johnson off more knowledge of him as a fighter...but I expect this to be real good for an ESPN 2 fight.

Link to upcoming fights- http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?page=boxing/schedule/index

No TV on Pauly Spads tonight...but hopefully FC can sticky the links to the streams again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 am 

So, I had the fight pretty even, slight edge to Lara.

I'm ok win Canelo winning. I'd prefer it. I never want to pay for a Lara fight again. My god, awful.

But...117-111? What fight was that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:54 pm 

Solid fight on tonight GGG vs. Geale. I'm going to go with Golovkin via KO per the usual. I'm contemplating grabbing a ticket off StubHub and trekking to MSG to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:49 pm 
Yeah, I'm looking forward to Golovkin fight as well. I think Geale is game and a good boxer but his hands drift low quite a bit. I think GG to much pressure TKO mid late rounds.

Bryant Jennings vs. Mike Perez is the prelim and I've got limited exposure to both. Jennings is the favorite and looks the more refined but still flawed boxer, Perez the better athlete that has much to work on imo but some might call it unorthodox...I'll go upset here Perez by decision.

CT I've read there are real reasonable seats to be had there and this looks like a pretty good Saturday night.

I'll throw in some UFC on Fox picks as well-

Guida over Bermudez decision

Rumble Johnson over Lil Nog bullshit stoppage

Lawler over Brown KO

Free Streams- http://www.vipboxam.co/sports/boxing.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:11 pm 

GGG is something special. Too bad middleweight division is lacking talent that he hasn't beat and that will actually fight him. Might have to move up to SMW.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:18 pm 
GGG is such a breath of fresh air, thank you very much. I hope he drops 6 lbs and calls out FMjr...look the puss or take the fight FMjr because that fight will set PPV records, Money, thank you very much. Seriously, he cleans up the English and he has more star power then any boxer I've seen in years. I look at relative newcomers like Kovalev, Thurmond, GGG, Garcia, Crawford, Provdnikov, and lesser extent Kirkland, Wilder, Gamboa and Stevenson, along with the established guys like Paq, Hopkins, Ward, Bradley, Alvarez, Matthyse, even Froch and Klitschko and boxing's future is looking up post FMjr more then many think.

If you get a chance to checkout Shobox replay of Douglas and Soro's watch it. Great fight...I recorded it because the deuce was earlier and in conflict Friday and didn't get around to watching it until this morning. Douglas's mama is A TRIP!!! She looks like what you would imagine Big Snacks mama to look like...She is ringside, She is loud, She is animated, She is HILARIOUS. I had to rewind a couple of times...I quote, " Punish that Motherfucker, baby!!!", "Stick that fucking jab, baby!!!"

Later in the broadcast they interview her and it's pretty funny as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:32 pm 

Zivco wrote:
GGG is such a breath of fresh air, thank you very much. I hope he drops 6 lbs and calls out FMjr...look the puss or take the fight FMjr because that fight will set PPV records, Money, thank you very much. Seriously, he cleans up the English and he has more star power then any boxer I've seen in years. I look at relative newcomers like Kovalev, Thurmond, GGG, Garcia, Crawford, Provdnikov, and lesser extent Kirkland, Wilder, Gamboa and Stevenson, along with the established guys like Paq, Hopkins, Ward, Bradley, Alvarez, Matthyse, even Froch and Klitschko and boxing's future is looking up post FMjr more then many think.

If you get a chance to checkout Shobox replay of Douglas and Soro's watch it. Great fight...I recorded it because the deuce was earlier and in conflict Friday and didn't get around to watching it until this morning. Douglas's mama is A TRIP!!! She looks like what you would imagine Big Snacks mama to look like...She is ringside, She is loud, She is animated, She is HILARIOUS. I had to rewind a couple of times...I quote, " Punish that Motherfucker, baby!!!", "Stick that fucking jab, baby!!!"

Later in the broadcast they interview her and it's pretty funny as well.

No way any money fighter is going to fight GGG at this point. Too much of a risk, not enough reward.

Maybe GGG drops 6 and fights Canelo. That'd be something. Timing works out too. GGG wants cotto but cotto would retire before taking that fight.

Klitschko isn't going to go anywhere near Wilder either...for same reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:03 pm 
Yeah, it isn't going to be easy for GGG to find a fight. But I was thinking mostly in terms of calling someone out. Just did my boxing drive by and came across this-

http://www.digitaljournal.com/sports/op-ed-gennady-golovkin-the-danger-that-andre-ward-cannot-avoid/article/392873

When I threw those names out there I wasn't thinking we would get the match ups we want...I threw Frosch and Klitschko in there even though both are likely to nurse twilight's with tomato cans and "home" audiences, they both are at least somewhat compelling fighters...at least to boxing fans, though more so in Europe.

Anyway, you got me curious to when Klitschko could face a mandatory that's worth a damn. Wilder and Stiverne fight sometime this fall for the WBC strap. If Wilder wins I could see the IBF making him the mandatory from being there fourth ranked contender, competitive standpoint...but from a being owned by the Klitschko's it looks likely to be Glassov...and there are title defense rules that look easily manipulated.

Here is another Hwt I think has much promise http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=4&tag=Gerald%20Washington&limit=20

He is over aged, and there are easily visible technical problems...but rare power and athleticism.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:24 pm 
HBO Fights

Brandon Rios vs Diego Chaves

This should be good. I think Chaves footwork is the difference in a decision...but he could get stopped late. DC is a slight dog...

Jessie Vargas vs Anton Novikov

Vargas to win decision Novikov is a heavy dog and thats the play I like.

Kovalev is going to destroy Caparello.