It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boxing/MMA thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:45 am 

Caparello quit. I know the body shot hurt, but he was up and talking trash instead of trying to get off the ropes. He wanted that fight to be stopped but didn't want to do it by throwing in the towel. Kovalev took his heart.

Shame about the Rios Chaves DQ. Was a good fight.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:34 pm 
Agree that was a bad stoppage. Kovalev is a bad man.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other-sports/2014/08/08/Monessen-native-to-fight-at-Consol-Energy-Center-tonight/stories/201408080091

A day late and a dollar short...but 2 great fights from PGH that should be replayed on Fox Sports 1. Meza-Clay is from the old neighborhood and it's good to see him giving it another run...hugely entertaining fighter.

Showtime tonight-http://www.vipboxam.co/sports/boxing-wwe-ufc.html Due to the Steelers conflict I'm taping.

Garcia vs Salka- Garcia is a 30-1 favorite. Salka isn't a power guy, this is a tough decision to get...yet I'm putting 20 on the local kid.

Jacobs over Fletcher by KO

Peterson over Santana but he better be careful...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:35 pm 

The Mayweather-Maidana undercard is so bad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:56 am 

SteelKnife wrote:
The Mayweather-Maidana undercard is so bad.

Not what I would have expected for the undercard but I think there are some quality fighters, just not quality fights. The PPVs this year have been disappointing to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:44 am 

You guys going to buy this PPV? I just don't see it being worth $75. This would be the 2nd time Money has seen him and he will have an even better game-plan this time around. I expect a lopsided unanimous decision for Floyd. I'd buy if I liked the undercard which is why I buy most PPVs anyway but the matchups are garbage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:19 am 
No way man...but I will stream it.

The undercard does suck...Hell, I remember the old man hustling us home from wrestling practice when I was 9 or 10 to watch Leonard vs Benitez, Antuofermo vs Hagler, and Johnson vs Galindez...for free, major broadcast event in prime time in 1979...what a card!!! Hehehe I'll never forget that night...a couple neighborhood kids were over for the fight and the Dead were playing the Stanley Theater that night....They filled us in on the major neighborhood event that took place in our absence...one of the local fathers returned home unexpectedly and caught his kid and a couple other local teens with booze, shrooms and weed and gave all of them a goings over...likely because he was a bit of a drunk himself...and that resulted in one of the other teens father going to his home and giving him a goings over....Cops everywhere in our upper middle class suburb when we returned home from practice...moms was on the phone the whole night cluck cluck clucking away and getting pissed at my father who kept stating he could see both parents POV and laughing...

Anywho...if you get a couple of decent up and coming guys matched up on a PPV these days it's good luck...I actually think we get better over all cards on the HBO/Showtime fights then the PPV...still not near the travesty MMA has become...a female MMA fight headlining a PPV card? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:57 am 

Not buying the fight. The undercard is just too bad. I'll sopcast it or something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:18 pm 

So was the Mayweather fight entertaining or was it mostly dancing and Mayweather trying to scientifically out-point the other guy the whole fight?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:23 am 

CaptainFantastik wrote:
So was the Mayweather fight entertaining or was it mostly dancing and Mayweather trying to scientifically out-point the other guy the whole fight?

It was bad. I had it closer than some people. I actually had it even through 6 but I'm in the minority. But mayweather clinches without throwing EVERY time maidana gets inside. Like, without fail. Any other fighter would have been docked several points for it. But not mayweather.

The ref was also very quick to break up inside fighting, even those rare occasions when not tied up. He should be absolutely ashamed of his performance.

I don't know if maidana would have won otherwise, but he stood no chance with the way the fight was reffed.