It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: OT: Mayweather v. McGregor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:27 pm 

I will take Mayweather for the knock out. Boxing is very different then UFC stuff. Should be interesting to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:34 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I will take Mayweather for the knock out. Boxing is very different then UFC stuff. Should be interesting to say the least.

I'm hoping for an entertaining fight, but I will be surprised if it goes more than 3 rounds.

I know there are some guys in MMA who have really good boxing skills, but it's nothing like a world champ. Speed and combinations McGregor hasn't seen (and if you did see someone that good, you'd just go for the takedown and make it a ground game).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:39 pm 

Mayweather is 40.

He can get caught.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:45 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Mayweather is 40.

He can get caught.

You can always get caught, but he still has the technique. Being 40 is what gives McGregor a chance to end the fight still living.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:57 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Mayweather is 40.

He can get caught.

With that defensive, shoulder rolling he does? He is 40, and hasn't fought in 2 years, but his defensive style of NOT GETTING HIT and being patient and hitting you is just too much for CM, imo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:00 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:
Mayweather is 40.

He can get caught.

With that defensive, shoulder rolling he does? He is 40, and hasn't fought in 2 years, but his defensive style of NOT GETTING HIT and being patient and hitting you is just too much for CM, imo.

Yeah. He'll be patient, lull him to sleep....diagnose...and then punish McGregor when he makes the inevitable mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:17 pm 

McGregor will get eaten alive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:18 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:
Mayweather is 40.

He can get caught.

Mayweather has to make a big mistake or a slew of them in succession for this to have a chance of being a huge upset. It is going to be interesting to see(eventually) how CM attacks Mayweather with foot work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:48 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Mayweather is 40.

He can get caught.

Anybody can get caught, but MacGregor's isn't even a great boxer as far as MMA combatants go. Going up against arguably the best professional boxer ever... all he has is a punchers chance.

also can I please get a link?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:18 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Your first professional fight is against Mayweather-good fucking luck to you. I know MW is forty but he is so technically sound that he might just give McGregor a proper beating for the fun of it.
At some point in the fight McGregor is going to realize that he is overmatched. That is when it will be over.

That is basically my expectation, which is why I don't want to pay $100.

I could see Mayweather toying with him for a few rounds to give the fans their money's worth. I could also see McGregor taking a beating and then forgetting it's not MMA and getting DQ'd.

Yeah I'd love to be wrong but I don't see how this can be much of a fight. The only way I see it having a chance to be entertaining is if McGregor tackles him and gets in a bunch of good shots before Mayweather's posse floods the ring. Otherwise I can't see him landing a decent shot unless Mayweather hasn't trained at all and it goes past 6 rounds where he gets tired.

I'd like a link as well if anyone has a reliable one. The ones I usually use fail to work very well for these high dollar fights.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next