It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legal Pot in Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 am 

I haven't smoked pot in over 30 years because it put me to sleep. Now I have sleep issues, so going to give it a try and hope I can find something that will help me get regular sleep. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Legal Pot in Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm 

CdnSteelerFan wrote:
I haven't smoked pot in over 30 years because it put me to sleep. Now I have sleep issues, so going to give it a try and hope I can find something that will help me get regular sleep. Any suggestions?
Many people rely on sounds. Rain, beach waves, etc. Meditation techniques can also help. No screens an hour before bed. Don't do anything in bed other than fuck and sleep. Not to say you can't fuck elsewhere. . .

Then there is bourbon. 8-)

Either way, if you use cannabis, use an efficient vaporizer. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:03 pm 

I have pretty terrible insomnia. I've tried everything including the basics that COR-TEN posted above, plus all the usual supplements (melatonine, 5-HTP, valerian root, and plenty of others) and all the way up to ambien.

I've also had sleep studies done as well as sleep therapy, which included some assanine instructions like "Keep a running log of the times when you fall asleep" (you know, because telling someone with an overactive mind that they have to write something down moments before falling asleep is surely going to help them sleep).

Basically, I spent a ton of money, and nothing worked.

The one thing that I did educate myself on my own that has worked is the Circadian Rhythm. What I've read was that some people are simply hard-wired to fall asleep at different times and trying to fall asleep at any other time was destined to fail.

Before I discovered this, I was staying up til 12-12:30 at night simply because I didn't feel tired and didn't expect to fall asleep. But after reading up on Circadian Rhythms, I started testing out different times. I found out that if I start what I consider my "unwinding phase" at 9:30 by watching TV or playing a video game, then shift to reading a book with all electronics off at around 10:30 and then go to bed at 11:15, I can fall asleep fairly regularly.

It's not foolproof, mind you. I'll still have some restless nights. But it's way better than it used to be. It's all about finding that time when your body and mind are actually ready to unwind and fall asleep.

But, different things work for different people. You may very well try Melatonine and have it work. Or something else. I wouldn't skip any other suggestions just because they didn't work for me. It's 100% trial and error.

At any rate, good luck, man. Insomnia is awful. I've somehow worked through it have managed to be pretty successful despite of it. But I won't lie. I definitely look around at my coworkers every day and wonder if they understand how easy they have it. To have energy every day instead of getting progressively more exhausted every day of the week until you can (hopefully) recharge during the weekend. I've had many days where I'd work from home for no other reason than because I want to take an hour nap at lunch time (usually unsuccessfully).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I've also had sleep studies done as well as sleep therapy, which included some assanine instructions like "Keep a running log of the times when you fall asleep" (you know, because telling someone with an overactive mind that they have to write something down moments before falling asleep is surely going to help them sleep).
This made me laugh out loud. So true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:11 pm 

No alcohol in the evening. None.

No electronic screens in the evening. None. Read a paperback instead.

Exercise regularly. A nice two or three mile run in the evening.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm 

I have historically had insomnia before the Steelers play a big game. And if they lose the big game, the insomnia gets worse. Most severe and prolonged Steelers induced insomnia I ever had is a close call between the Chargers AFC championship meltdown and the first one against the Patriots. I still can’t believe that they lost those games.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
This made me laugh out loud. So true.

I hate to criticize sleep therapy just because maybe, just maybe, someone will try it and it’ll work for them.

But at the same time, there were was so much involved in it that didn’t pass the common sense test. Like it was written by people who never had insomnia and never bothered to test it out.

And I’m not that naive, I’m sure they did test it in various environments over and over again. But man...I spent a lot of time wondering what those studies involved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 am 

If you do use a phone or computer, employ Nightshift of F.lux. The orange tint really helps.

If it's a weight issue, make sure you don't have sleep apnea.

Cool room, no underwear but socks if need be. Coitus works better than anything to induce sleep.

Pay good money for high thread count sheets, it's worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:57 am 

I usually get about 5.5 hours of sleep a night for work. I can sleep in (a little) on my days off) at most 6 hours.

I smoked cannabis for awhile before bed and damn if I wasn't getting 6.5 hours a sleep a night. Felt wonderful to get 6.5 hours regularly. Depending on how much I smoked there were times I slept 7.5hrs.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 am 

Still Lit wrote:

Are you explaining what works for you? I'm actually with Lipps, in that a little screen time is part of my wind-down. Agree on some reading before bed, though, and I really don't do much of any beer, whiskey and wine snobbery during the week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:37 am 

Ice wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Are you explaining what works for you? I'm actually with Lipps, in that a little screen time is part of my wind-down. Agree on some reading before bed, though, and I really don't do much of any beer, whiskey and wine snobbery during the week.

I was speaking generally. Everyone's physiology is going to differ slightly, but there are studies that show that the way artificial light affects our neurological system can impede sleep. There are tons of studies verifying that alcohol use before bed leads to more uneven and less restful sleep.

Dan is right about room temperature and weight.

Personal experience confirms studies for me. I quit drinking a long time ago, eat right, exercise regularly, have no screen time prior to bed. Straight to paper back. Only watch TV on Friday and Saturday evenings if at all. Excepting the Steelers on Sundays.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:25 pm 

If you are going to try cannabis to help sleep then avoid sativa strains as those tend to effect the mind more than the body and can in some cases be energizing. Not something you want before bed.

Best thing to do is find a dispensary that is well stocked and has quality product and people working there. Tell them you are looking for indica strains that will help insomnia.

You could also ask for strains rich in the cannabinoid CBN as that is the component that induces sleep.

Northern Lights is an old school indica strain that is known for being an insomnia buster.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:43 pm 

955876 wrote:
If you are going to try cannabis to help sleep then avoid sativa strains as those tend to effect the mind more than the body and can in some cases be energizing. Not something you want before bed.

Best thing to do is find a dispensary that is well stocked and has quality product and people working there. Tell them you are looking for indica strains that will help insomnia.

You could also ask for strains rich in the cannabinoid CBN as that is the component that induces sleep.

Northern Lights is an old school indica strain that is known for being an insomnia buster.

Good luck.

Right now we can only buy legally from a government website. I can't drink anymore because of health issues so that's out of the question. Wasn't totally sure what to buy when I ordered but lucky for me it was an indica strain.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:37 pm 

For me it was my sleeping position. I tried all those proven 'natural' options to help induce sustaining sleep. What I found was my problem was more than just falling asleep at a certain time. My problem was staying asleep and getting the REM quality sleep.

As I stated I found that my position sleeping was the culprit. Most everyone sleeps laying flat on their mattress. Either on their back or side. This was my usual pattern. Would fight (tossing and turning) trying to get to sleep. Then in the middle of the night wake for no known reason and have to fight (toss and turn) until I found a position comfortable enough to sleep again. By then it was too late. Spent most the day drowsy and miserable.

Bought a memory foam mattress. Thinking that was the way to go. Heard nothing but fantastic information regarding the restful quality sleep folks were getting after sleeping on one. Wife and I went out and bought one. Kinda spendy but there really is no amount of money one can put on quality sleep. So we excitedly got into our new top of the line memory foam mattress. I sweated like a horse after the Kentucky derby. Mattress was so damned hot I would sleep with nothing covering me. Took time but I finally adapted. Still fought those same sleeping issues though.

Thought I may have sleep apnea. So I went in to get the sleep apnea study process done. Found that I have a slight 'mild' case but nothing that required medical assistance. I explained what I had been going through after discussing the situation with the doctor he recommended that I try sleeping in other positions. I was confused at first. What other position could I sleep in? Upside down? Standing? In my recliner? Seriously, my recliner is awesome. I have no problem falling out there. Staying a sleep is another story.

Doctor said, after we lightly joked to try a bed that can be positioned into different positions. So a hospital type bed that you can adjust for just about any position you like. After much discussion my wife and I went out to shop for this type of bed. Mind you they are not cheap. After a few weekend shopping adventures we finally decided on a sleep number 360 with an adjustable base. This bed is my saviour. Every night I get into it I really do say, Ahhhh...., Bed!

Now this bed was not the cheapest. It ran us close to $10,000 with sheets, pillows and all the amenities that come with the mattresses and base. We also didn't get the premier base which has the features where it vibrates at the feet and heats/cools also at the feet. That base was like $4,000 by itself. We elected to get the one step down base which essentially is the same base just minus those features at the feet. We also elected to have the split Cal King. So if she wants to set her bed in a different position than I do it won't affect me. The Bed is Absolutely Awesome.

The thing I love most about it is I can schedule (on my phone) when to reposition the bed after I've fallen a sleep. So for example I can be sitting up to watch television. Fall a sleep while in the sitting up position and an hour or up to three later (whatever you've set the timer for) the bed automatically resets to your preset favorite position for sleep. Does this as you sleep. I finally found my bed for the next 25-30 years. Worth Every Penny.

Since then I don't wake up in the middle of the night aches and pains tossing and turning. I wake up refreshed and satisfied with my sleep results. Oh yeah, this Sleep Number 360 also keeps track of your sleeping habits. When your restless and when your REM. Gives you a full line chart of your sleep patterns so you can fine tune your bed positions and firmness of the mattress that will help you get the best sleep possible. I don't wake up unhappy anymore. I don't feel sleepy during the day and my mild sleep apnea is history.

Side Note: I'm Very Interested in those Marijuana Stocks though. I want my investor to buy, buy buy.... 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:02 am 

If you don't want to go full canabis I recommend CBD oil sublingually. They have mostly untraceable amounts of THC but the first time I took it I slept like the dead. Now it didn't make me tired, only calm. So when I was ready to go to sleep, I slept well.
There are a million brands out there. Three I like are Green Roads, Lazarus, Medterra. They are legal in all 50 states.
Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:19 am 

just get some hash that shit knocks you on your ass and takes very little product so the bang for the buck is pretty good.

$0.02

Also not watching the Steelers will cause less stress and anxiety in your life which will help your overall health and sleep patterns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:32 am 

Don’t stress about insomnia, embrace if you can.

If you have stress causing it, work, money, relationship issues etc., you obviously need to take care of the stress.

Also, I never hear this mentioned much, but we are not really wired to sleep straight through the night. Sleeping through the night is an electricity and industril revolution thing.

If you read literature that dates before electricity, there will be discussion about sleeps; the first sleep and then the second sleep. Apparently it was quite common to sleep, wake-up, then go out and visit or do whatever for a couple hours, and then go back to bed for the second sleep.

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again

Embrace insomnia as a gift and get some extra productivity and try bimodal sleep patterns.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:09 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Don’t stress about insomnia, embrace if you can.

If you have stress causing it, work, money, relationship issues etc., you obviously need to take care of the stress.

Also, I never hear this mentioned much, but we are not really wired to sleep straight through the night. Sleeping through the night is an electricity and industril revolution thing.

If you read literature that dates before electricity, there will be discussion about sleeps; the first sleep and then the second sleep. Apparently it was quite common to sleep, wake-up, then go out and visit or do whatever for a couple hours, and then go back to bed for the second sleep.

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again

Embrace insomnia as a gift and get some extra productivity and try bimodal sleep patterns.

I've read about that before. I don't know though. To me that's saying humans are naturally part nocturnal. It'd make more sense that the natural order was sleeping when it gets dark out and awaking with the sunrise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am 

It's proven that Humans are not nocturnal. Also, sleep deprivation leads to numerous health issues. Now this I could really get into. "Less dramatic forms of biphasic sleep are evident in today's society, for example in cultures that take an afternoon siesta. Our body clock lends itself to such a schedule, having a reduction in alertness in the early afternoon (the so-called 'post-lunch dip')". Also, "In support of this, there is growing evidence suggesting naps can have important benefits for memory and learning, increasing our alertness and improving mood states. Some believe sleep disorders, like sleep maintenance insomnia, are rooted in the body's natural preference for split sleep. Therefore, split sleep schedules may be a more natural rhythm for some people". From your Link Lakecrest. https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-use ... ould-again

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:38 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
It's proven that Humans are not nocturnal. Also, sleep deprivation leads to numerous health issues. Now this I could really get into. "Less dramatic forms of biphasic sleep are evident in today's society, for example in cultures that take an afternoon siesta. Our body clock lends itself to such a schedule, having a reduction in alertness in the early afternoon (the so-called 'post-lunch dip')". Also, "In support of this, there is growing evidence suggesting naps can have important benefits for memory and learning, increasing our alertness and improving mood states. Some believe sleep disorders, like sleep maintenance insomnia, are rooted in the body's natural preference for split sleep. Therefore, split sleep schedules may be a more natural rhythm for some people". From your Link Lakecrest. https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-use ... ould-again

Yes, 100% the Spanish had this right. Everyone is different but even a small nap during the day can help many people sleep better at night. Being overly tired does not lead to restful sleep.