It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baseball cards
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 am 

Came across this article about the downward spiral of the baseball card industry. Was pretty interesting. I haven't collected cards since I was a kid. For some reason recently my interest was piqued and I went online and was kind of shocked that I could still buy the box sets of Fleer and Topps from the early-mid 80's for really cheap. As the article states, the market had been flooded to the point where they were never rare enough to appreciate in value. But If I were to buy up a few boxes from that era it obviously would just be for nostalgia reasons, as they really aren't worth anything. Any collectors here?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 26636.html

Post subject: Re: Baseball cards
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:59 pm 

"People would buy cases of brand new cards thinking they were going to send their kids to college with them and they would put them in the garage and wait,"

Ha! I remember seeing one such person at the shop back in the late '80s. Now, not to stereotype fat slobs as unintelligent, but even as a kid I knew intuitively this guy's idea was going to fail despite being too young to understand the how or the why.

Post subject: Re: Baseball cards
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:50 pm 

I have 3 collectors (sports card) boxes that must hold in the neighborhood of a 1000 or so cards each plus two old wooden wine cases full of cards ranging in the same amount of cards within them. I've got football, baseball, hockey, basketball and I believe there's even some miscellaneous cards like Star Wars, Raiders of The Lost Ark etc... All collecting dust in the closet. :lol: